2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by des0late
Hmm...I just had something weird happen to me yesterday. For the first time ever, I stepped into my car and the inside of the windshield had DROPS of water! I've never had some much condensation that drops of water would stream down the windsheidl... (~4-6 drops).

Has anyone else had this happen? Or is there something wrong with my windshield...?

Thanks!

Regularly when I lived on the gulf Coast. Its the humidity. And the windshield temp.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lipappy
After the first snowfall of the season, I noticed that on the inside of the car there was significant condensation on the inside of the front windshield. I had to wipe it with my gloved hand, which caused all kind of smearing. I'm sure it's due to bringing snow / water in with me when getting in, and it evaporating. However, I haven't noticed this problem in cars I've owned in the past. Does anyone know more about this and if there's anything you can do to reduce interior window condensation?

I know exactly what the problem is!!! I had the same thing happen to me least year when it was unusually cold and rainy during the winter. I'm not sure how GE is set up but in the GDs the spare tire is located in a recessed area in the "trunk space" underneath where the tire is held there is a plastic plug, I'm not sure what its purpose is but it was letting water and condensation into my car and this is what happened...

YouTube - 1224081959.3g2

A pool of water collected in the spare tire area and was condensing on my windows, I'm just happy I didn't get any mold. So remember guys every once in a while check back there to make sure there isn't any water collecting.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by El Chupacabura
I know exactly what the problem is!!! I had the same thing happen to me least year when it was unusually cold and rainy during the winter. I'm not sure how GE is set up but in the GDs the spare tire is located in a recessed area in the "trunk space" underneath where the tire is held there is a plastic plug, I'm not sure what its purpose is but it was letting water and condensation into my car and this is what happened...

YouTube - 1224081959.3g2
Looks more like your hatch or antenna is leaking letting water inside and it's collecting in the spare tire area.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
^ yeah I wondered that myself but, there were no water marks on the headliner, and the carpet over the spare tire was not wet at all. I'm still not 100% positive where the water came from but it hasn't happened again since last year so I haven't been able to look at it again.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I bought my car on 31st dec and next day I had 1/4 inch of ice on the inside of the windshield,
mine is a 2010, so I have the same problem,
wow, so it is a water leak, I felt all the carpets in the car but never checked the rear spare tire.
Thanks, I will check it later today,

Originally Posted by El Chupacabura

YouTube - 1224081959.3g2

A pool of water collected in the spare tire area and was condensing on my windows, I'm just happy I didn't get any mold. So remember guys every once in a while check back there to make sure there isn't any water collecting.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Moisture Reduction

This is how I fixed the issue:

Last edited by Roger's Fit; 01-18-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: made a web page
Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
The only accessory I had the dealer install was the door visors. I leave the rear widows cracked a bit when I park. The only time I get condesation is when I forget to leave the windows cracked. The visors hide the fact that the windows are open and prevent anything from falling in when parked, not to mention the benifits when driving.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting crazy amounts of condensation in my 2007 GD Fit. Even my old 94 Saturn (old yeller) wasn't nearly as bad. I end up having to leave my rear window defroster on all the time (to clear the INTERIOR fog not the exterior ice!) and leave the defogger on 3 or 4 all the time.

As soon as I switch to heating, at any temp setting, I get instant fog on my winshield. Like bad fog to the point I can't see where I'm going. I wish I could read the link a previous poster added to reduce moisture because this is a major bummer with the fit. Really the only one I have.

My interior cabin air filter is slightly dirty. I do have a replacement one. Perhaps it can't draw air properly and maybe that's why the outside air mode isn't working sufficiently.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
I'm getting crazy amounts of condensation in my 2007 GD Fit. Even my old 94 Saturn (old yeller) wasn't nearly as bad. I end up having to leave my rear window defroster on all the time (to clear the INTERIOR fog not the exterior ice!) and leave the defogger on 3 or 4 all the time.

As soon as I switch to heating, at any temp setting, I get instant fog on my winshield. Like bad fog to the point I can't see where I'm going. I wish I could read the link a previous poster added to reduce moisture because this is a major bummer with the fit. Really the only one I have.

My interior cabin air filter is slightly dirty. I do have a replacement one. Perhaps it can't draw air properly and maybe that's why the outside air mode isn't working sufficiently.
unless
In heavy condensate environments turn on the a/c and set temp on high to remove excess moisture. Simply recirculating water laden air is guaranteed to produce condensate on any cold glass unless the moisture is removed by the a/c.

Last edited by mahout; 12-30-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Does the windshield defrost/defog switch turn on the A/C for you guys? It's doing that on my car and it really hurts my MPG.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by inkster
Does the windshield defrost/defog switch turn on the A/C for you guys? It's doing that on my car and it really hurts my MPG.
It doesn't on my Fit. Are yoiu sure that its turning on with defrost? That would be a good thing. Even tho I turn my a/c on separately it doesn't hurt mpg more than a couple mpg's.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFM page 113
To Defog and Defrost
To remove fog from the inside of the
windows:
1. Set the fan to the desired speed or
high for faster defrosting.
2. Select [outside air] by sliding the lever.
3. Select [defog/defrost] The system
automatically turns on the A/C
(if
equipped). The A/C indicator will
not come on if it was previously off.
4. Adjust the temperature so the
airflow feels warm.
5. Select / to help clear the
rear window.
6. To increase airflow to the
windshield, close the corner vents.

When you select [defog] or [defrost], the
system automatically turns on the
A/C. This helps to dehumidify the air
and to defog the windshield. In either
mode, you cannot turn off the A/C.

When you switch to another mode,
the A/C returns to its original
setting, either on or off, as indicated
by the A/C indicator.
Many don't like this feature and modify (yank out the wires) to disable A/C activation when defog/defrost is selected.

I run defog/defrost rarely (being in the south and all). Cold, rainy days when the windows would normally fog I switch on the A/C manually before they do and adjust the temperature to a comfortably warm setting.

Read your owner's manual. All your questions (and thousands you never asked!) are answered there.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
a/c defogger is a must for me. I just get annoyed about having to turn it on all the time. I hear that if you have a very clean interior windshield, it is not as bad. My mechanic recommended cleaning the inside of the windows with Windex in aerosol form, he said it makes the job much easier. The only thing is that I will wait until it is slightly warmer (around 32F/0C) to do it because I want to crack the windows afterwards to air out the car for 30 mins so I don't die of ethanol poisoning from the fumes!

I find that the worst fog is when I get in a really cold car. After some driving, it seems that the outside of the car warms up slightly and its not as bad. I believe that the extremely cold outer windows paired with your own breath creates the worst fog. Once the warmth of the inside of the car has sufficiently heated through the windows so that even the outside is warm (i.e. snowflakes melt on contact), I believe the fogging up is be less problematic.

I still haven't gotten around to changing the cabin air filter, I'll report back if that has improved anything.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
It doesn't on my Fit. Are yoiu sure that its turning on with defrost? That would be a good thing. Even tho I turn my a/c on separately it doesn't hurt mpg more than a couple mpg's.
Steve244 found the answer, the A/C turns on automatically.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
a/c defogger is a must for me. I just get annoyed about having to turn it on all the time. I hear that if you have a very clean interior windshield, it is not as bad. My mechanic recommended cleaning the inside of the windows with Windex in aerosol form, he said it makes the job much easier. The only thing is that I will wait until it is slightly warmer (around 32F/0C) to do it because I want to crack the windows afterwards to air out the car for 30 mins so I don't die of ethanol poisoning from the fumes!

I find that the worst fog is when I get in a really cold car. After some driving, it seems that the outside of the car warms up slightly and its not as bad. I believe that the extremely cold outer windows paired with your own breath creates the worst fog. Once the warmth of the inside of the car has sufficiently heated through the windows so that even the outside is warm (i.e. snowflakes melt on contact), I believe the fogging up is be less problematic.

I still haven't gotten around to changing the cabin air filter, I'll report back if that has improved anything.
I've noticed many people that complain about fogging windows (on the inside) leave the air selector on "recirculate" rather than "fresh-air" (outside air). If you do this, try fresh-air next time. The Fit's heater is up to the task, even in the Great White North. Bringing in cold dry air from outside and heating it is just the ticket to remove moisture. Be sure to have lots of chapstick.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I use antifog spray on the inside of the windows and that helps. Just don't put on too much or it smears.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I use antifog spray on the inside of the windows and that helps. Just don't put on too much or it smears.
@Steve: I always use outside air mode but I still get crazy amounts of fog. It's actually better now, as if my car got used to the cold dry winter... Maybe the ambient air is actually drier, who knows.

@brain champagne: I once used rain x anti fog on the inside of my car and I hated it. I told myself, never again. It seemed to catch all the moisture and all the swirls from applying that stuff would just show up when fogging occurred. I think I'll just clean the inside of the windows as best I can.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
Some one makes an anti-fog product for use on the inside of the windows. Unfortunately I do not remember the brand name.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
I found that one other brand of anti-fog seemed to work better than the Rain-X brand (though I like regular Rain-X for the outside). BUT- you have to put it on very, very thin. If you use too much it gets gooey and smears. Then you have to wipe it off with several paper towels for it to work.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
This happens because the fit was left in defrost mode uses the AC constantly, since the AC was on and you didn't shut it off with enough time to left the evaporator dry it wound up as condensation. I wish there was a way to be able to use the defrost without it automatically activating the AC. My 4runner can do it i wonder why this car cant.

Quick Reply: Window Condensation