2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB/Software Update for Inaccurate MPG Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by huisj
I just called my dealer and they were very short and almost angry sounding with me. I mentioned the TSB, explained what it was, and told them I wanted to set up an appointment, and they told me they didn't know what I was talking about and that if I hadn't been contacted directly by Honda, then it must not exist or apply to my car. They said I could come in and talk to them and show them, but it wasn't their fault, they can't do anything because it doesn't exist in their records.

I'm going in anyway.
I had a similar problem. I went in one day with the TSB and showed the service adviser and made an appointment for the following day.

There was a different adviser at the desk the next day when I went in and I was given quite a hard time, being told that my VIN may not be on the list for upgrade.

I was later told that my Fit qualified and that the upgrade would be done.

That was on December 1st, and I've filled the tank several times since, and there hasn't been any improvement at all in the gauge accuracy.

What to do, what to do......?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weeladdie

i'd take it to another dealer if there's one close by... or go back to the same dealer and tell them they f-ed up.

if it's done right, there's no mistaking it. the change in the behavior of the monitor is not subtle.

how inaccurate is the monitor?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't driven but a few miles since the reflash, so I can't tell the impact on the mpg gauge yet, but I do wonder if anyone has noticed a difference in the little sliding instantaneous mpg bar. Mine seemed to be reacting faster than normal--it appeard to adust for slight throttle inputs a lot quicker than it used to. Is this just my imagination, or has anyone else noticed this too?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I think that a lot of dealers just don't like customers having a TSB in hand. Sort of pokes a hole in their egos. Mine was done, but not until I called American Honda. Till then 2 dealers just laughed at me. These smart-A dealers are with every car make, so it's not just Honda. Even after I showed them mine the first time, they claimed it did not exist. I actually had it in my hands, they read it and still claimed it did not exist. Anyway, all ended well, in the long run.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Sounded like some dealers just don't want to perform warranty work. I called my dealer 2 days after the bulletin was released, asked him to look it up and he found it. The appointment was made for the next day. All he asked was if my car is under 32K miles.

Last edited by Ein; 12-20-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
If you are in a habit of "topping off" your fill-ups, to try to get more accurate calculations, you should stop. Overfilling the fuel system can damage the evaporative emissions control system, and repairing it can be expensive (don't ask how I know this).
Was this teachable moment with the Fit, or with another car?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I had a similar problem. I went in one day with the TSB and showed the service adviser and made an appointment for the following day.

There was a different adviser at the desk the next day when I went in and I was given quite a hard time, being told that my VIN may not be on the list for upgrade.

That was on December 1st, and I've filled the tank several times since, and there hasn't been any improvement at all in the gauge accuracy.

I'm wondering which dealership? Friendly?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member

Your description suggests that the dealer did not, in fact, do the update. My gauge was consistently 10-15% optimistic from the very first tank; after the update, it's quite close to the mileage that I calculate -- sometimes over, sometimes under. The problem is, you are probably now in Honda's maintenance database (I assume they have one), as having been updated. I don't know if there is any way for a dealer to read the state of the software to confirm if the update has, in fact, been done. However, I don't think you will have enough evidence to present to Honda until you have done, say, 10 fill ups, comparing the calculated and reported MPG. If the gauge is still significantly off after that, try going back to a Honda dealer, or contact Honda.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
It's a shame that Honda is stuck with some of these jerks as dealers. They generally have such great cars, and most of the dealers are very good. Honda has earned my loyalty for life. Once my Solstice goes to the happy hunting ground, I'll find an appropriate Honda to take its place. (Hope they still make the S2000 or something similar)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
It's a shame that Honda is stuck with some of these jerks as dealers. They generally have such great cars, and most of the dealers are very good. Honda has earned my loyalty for life. Once my Solstice goes to the happy hunting ground, I'll find an appropriate Honda to take its place. (Hope they still make the S2000 or something similar)
Unofortnately, the S2000 is done for. I believe 2009 or 2010 is the last year of production (link). The Rumored (potential) replacement is something totally different, supposedly with SH-AWD and in Coupe format. I wouldn't even consider it an S2000.

My experience with Honda Dealerships has been different...
The sales department at our current Honda Dealer was made up of essentially used car salesmen with one of the two sales managers being a complete slime but the other being a straight shooter. Here The Service Dept is GREAT. They have gone out of their way to take care of us.

The other dealership (back in Pa) had a great sales dept but morons for a service Dept (initially.. they were much better 5 years later when visiting the inlaws and we had an issue).
It really depends on the individual dealer and often times the reputation you build with them. I talked with the Service manager at ours a few times when we were looking for a place to service our cars. I explained past experiences and he said his goal was to take care of our needs and if there were any issues, contact him directly. I've talked with him a few times since but just out of luck... not out of need.

~SB

Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
RATS! If they are not going to have a sports car, I might have to find a way to keep my Solstice going. That might be hard since parts are already getting scarce, and GM quality control sucks. Mine has been in for warranty work 20 times in the 20 months I have owned it. A blast to drive, but a maintenance headache. I won't however, go without a ragtop!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by citabria7
RATS! If they are not going to have a sports car, I might have to find a way to keep my Solstice going. That might be hard since parts are already getting scarce, and GM quality control sucks. Mine has been in for warranty work 20 times in the 20 months I have owned it. A blast to drive, but a maintenance headache. I won't however, go without a ragtop!
Might be time to trade the Solstice in for an S2000 Now. Have a piece of history that will make it long enough to be considered... History. the S will last forever too.

~SB

Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, Solstice resale values are in the toilet. The body style of the S2000 is bland and old, even though it's a great car. I was hoping they would spice it up a bit, but that's not going to happen, apparently. Guess I'll sit and see what they come up with. Just hope it's a ragtop!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
There is the CR-Z coming out, but it's build for economy rather than power.

CR-Z Hybrid Sports Coupe Concept - Official Honda Web Site

Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Looks interesting. See what it is like when it comes out. Doesn't look like a ragtop though!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I just had the update done to my Fit. I brought in a copy of the TSB along with a spreadsheet of my fillups documenting how far off the Fit's MPG meter was from the calculations based on mileage and gallons of fuel used. The dealer gave me no hassle and did the upgrade under warranty. Here is the description of the service on my invoice:

I'm still on the first tank of gas since the update so I can't report on the accuracy of the new software.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Topping Off

Hi Uncle Gary,

I know you said not to ask, but I've been filling to the top of the neck for some mpg consistency, so I'd like to know what kind of damage am I doing?

Didn't fill to the top today for the first time in months, so is there any chance that the system will recover somewhat if I stop topping off?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Alex (near Poughkeepsie)

Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by cardinal
I'm wondering which dealership? Friendly?
Morehead in Newburgh.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Uncle Gary,

I know you said not to ask, but I've been filling to the top of the neck for some mpg consistency, so I'd like to know what kind of damage am I doing?

Didn't fill to the top today for the first time in months, so is there any chance that the system will recover somewhat if I stop topping off?

Alex (near Poughkeepsie)
Modern cars have an evaporative emissions control system, which traps and
recycles fuel vapors through a charcoal canister. If you overfill the fuel
system, the fuel can expand into the vent line and liquid fuel can flood the
evaporative emissions plumbing, purge valve and canister. This can damage
the charcoal canister, making replacement necessary. I did this on my 1984
Shelby Charger, and as I remember, it cost more than a few bucks to replace
the canister and purge the system of liquid fuel.

The mechanic told me "kid, stop topping off your gas tank". I did, and
never had a problem again.

Uncle Gary

Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Uncle Gary,

Alex (near Poughkeepsie)
I had a gas station in NJ top off the tank in my Prelude... it was morning on a Sunny Day, 90+ degrees (almost 100 by noon), Black/Black Car and the gas station was about 1 mile from the house. Car sat all day and baked in the sun. The next day I went out to the car and the pressure had built up so high that it burst the seal on the gas cap. Gas leaked out and down the side of my car. Ate away at the paint down the side. Cost the Gas Station's insurance company $500. ...Another reason not to top off the tank.

~SB

Quick Reply: TSB/Software Update for Inaccurate MPG Display