2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Much To Be Thankful For This Holiday Season

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
dgs
Much To Be Thankful For This Holiday Season

So with the worst economic climate since the Great Depression and Christmas rolling up fast, I started feeling very grateful for all I have, and that I can even afford to buy presents. I think all of us know someone who has been affected by this financial crisis. I know a few people who have lost their jobs and can't find work, with the stress and fear mounting of "how are we going to make it?" Buying Christmas presents is the last thing from so many people's mind this year, as paying the rent/mortgage, and feeding their family becomes far more important.

I especially feel very thankful and blessed I own such a great little car like the Fit. Just yesterday I saw one of my neighbors standing outside watching her car get repo'd because she can't make the payments. It was not a big expensive car, looked like a little Chevy Cobalt. I felt so bad I almost started tearing up. Her boyfriend recently left her for another woman and she has been stuck paying all the bills on her own with no help from anyone.

So, I think we all should be feeling grateful this year as Fit owners, because there are now thousands, and thousands of out-of-work Americans who would love to own a car like the Fit. That's it, I'm done, don't want to sound preachy, but it's always nice to reflect on your life every now and then. We live in a country where it's always more, more, more, and oftentimes we aren't grateful for what we have in the present.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Amen dgs! Keep all things in perspective all year long and if you get the opportunity to help someone else during this time do so, you won't regret it.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed. With things the way they are in the economy and so many out of work, I feel lucky to have a roof over my head and my family well fed. The Fit was a very wise choice for use as we pay out about $120 less per month. That said, the wallet is still very tight but my wife and I made the extra effort to pick up stuff for local Christmas donations, and toys for Tots. My son's going to have toys under the tree this christmas and I want to make sure other kids do too. My wife found coupons online and we shopped during sales to get the best deals so we could pick up more for TFT.

Happy and Safe Holidays to all.

~SB

Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Lek
Well the Americans are the biggest polluters on earth, so you're doing your bit driving a Fit and helping the earth .

Anyway, screw the US economy and think about poorer nations, there are so many people in the world that can't even afford a plate of rice nevermind a New Honda fit .

The Fit was a very wise choice for use as we pay out about $120 less per month
That's what some families spend in a year on food.

My son's going to have toys under the tree this christmas and I want to make sure other kids do too. My wife found coupons online and we shopped during sales to get the best deals so we could pick up more for TFT.
Ask your wife and kids to cancel christmas this year and donate to poor countries. I did.

Last edited by Lek; 12-17-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
I am with you dgs...I feel like people need to have a broader perspective of things all year...but the holidays tends to bring it out in us (which is great). At our school, we are adopting angels...and have about 50 needy children in our district that are being bought for. They asked for things like socks, long sleeved shirts, and pajamas. Of course, we got them toys too. I was happy that my angel ended up with 4-5 outfits, some undershirts, socks, and 2 pairs of pajamas in addition to a few toys (remote control robot, bakugan sphere, nerf gun, crayola coloring game pad).

I wish that we could give this way all year long--because people need us all year long. I encouraged my students to donate their time as well...to help wrap the presents, to go volunteer at the food bank/shelter, etc.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lek
Well the Americans are the biggest polluters on earth, so you're doing your bit driving a Fit and helping the earth .

Anyway, screw the US economy and think about poorer nations, there are so many people in the world that can't even afford a plate of rice nevermind a New Honda fit .

Exactly why a number of the gifts we give to others include donations to heifer international.

Originally Posted by Lek
Ask your wife and kids to cancel christmas this year and donate to poor countries. I did.
Yeah... one thing I won't do is deprive my son. We don't spoil him, do teach respect and understanding and My wife and I often do without but my son comes first. See my statement above in regards to heifer.

~SB

Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm just thankful for having a good job, a career worth sinking my time and money into, and finally a car that I can count on for many years to come. Amazingly, business for my company is actually doing well this year despite the economy. Anytime I get a little frustrated at work, I always think; "what if I worked at some shitty _______."? No matter how crappy a day you have at work, just think that its always better than a day without a job.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lek

Actually China is a far bigger polluter than the U.S. and let's keep this thread non political!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by FITProject
I'm just thankful for having a good job, a career worth sinking my time and money into, and finally a car that I can count on for many years to come. Amazingly, business for my company is actually doing well this year despite the economy. Anytime I get a little frustrated at work, I always think; "what if I worked at some shitty _______."? No matter how crappy a day you have at work, just think that its always better than a day without a job.
This sounds exactly like my situation. I do the same thing when I get frustrated with my job, and always take a moment to stop and think how good I have it that not only do I have a great job, but the company I work for did very well this year. We just had a meeting yesterday with the CFO and everyone in the finance and accounting groups are getting decent salary increases. Do you know how lucky I feel? People are losing their jobs left and right and here I am getting a salary increase on top of an already generous salary. Thank God for the healthcare industry.

As Vanishing Point so well put it, I did not intend for this thread to be political in any way. Just a thread to give thanks and be thankfully we own a great little car like the Fit. I don't care where in the world you are, we all can be thankfully for that. Especially since this financial crisis is global in reach, no one is immune from it where ever you live. Some countries may be hit less hard than others, but it's effecting all of us.