2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something Is Wrong With This Picture

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
dgs
Something Is Wrong With This Picture

So I will admit, the snowstorm we had yesterday here in Dallas, TX would make most North Easterners laugh. But for us, it was a bonafide storm, with up to 5 inches of accumulation. When I got to my car yesterday morning it was covered with about two inches of snow. I thought to myself, "Damn, it's going to be a scary ride into work and back home in my little Fit." But nothing could be farther from the truth. The Fit handled beautifully in the inclement weather, tracking straight and true. Even the wind gusts didn't upset the car.

The title for this post comes from the fact I was passing almost everyone on the highway. Now keep in mind I wasn't driving fast, between 55 and 60 mph, but the Fit felt so solid at those speeds that I didn't feel the need to drive slower. Plus I have stability control to save my bacon if it really gets bad. But I was just blown away at all the huge, 6,000 lb SUV's and pickup trucks I was passing with their 4WD or AWD systems. I mean these people *should* have been passing me like I was standing still but it was the other way around. Just proves my point that urban dwellers who buy big SUV's and pickup trucks have no intention of ever taking them off-roading and stricktly buy those vehicles for image. How embarressing must it have been to be passed by a little 2,500 lb Honda Fit in your huge Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition?

Maybe that's why I hate city dwelling SUV and pickup truck owners so much, because they have no intention of ever using their vehicle for what it was designed for. Although the argument can be made that most modern SUV's are no longer made to be driven off road because so many people never use them for that.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
How embarressing must it have been to be passed by a little 2,500 lb Honda Fit in your huge Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition?
I really don't think they were embarrassed at all. They were just driving to work. It wasn't a race or a contest. You seem to have little man syndrome.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
how much snow/slush was on the road?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
If the roads had snow accumulation like you said then 55 to 60 mph is too fast for those conditions. Not safe driving. Slow down and be safe out there.

As said by jackie it isn't a race or a contest.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
If the roads had snow accumulation like you said then 55 to 60 mph is too fast for those conditions. Not safe driving. Slow down and be safe out there.

As said by jackie it isn't a race or a contest.

that's why i'm confused... he mentions 5" of snow and going 55mph.... something is seriously wrong with this picture. lol.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM
5 inches of accumulation doesn't equate to 5 inches of snow on the road surface.
55 is fine on snow packed / recently plowed roads, provided u know how to drive.

I did 30+ hours of plowing this week after we got 12+ inches dumped on us.. 95% of the accidents / spinouts were asshats in 4wd vehicles. .

Key to driving the fit in the snow is to just avoid sudden movements, and if you're turning and its not turning, pump the handbrake a few times to bring the ass end around a bit.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
But I was just blown away at all the huge, 6,000 lb SUV's and pickup trucks I was passing with their 4WD or AWD systems. I mean these people *should* have been passing me like I was standing still but it was the other way around.
Better you than me! I wouldn't drive my "6,000 lb" SUV or my Fit at 55/60 mph in the snow. That's asking for unnecessary trouble. I have the equivalent of 'stability assist' on my SUV, will have it on my Fit whenever it gets here, and it doesn't excuse anyone of driving carelessly in the snow.

With all of the snow we've had lately, although I'm looking forward to the Fit for all of my running around and work-related duties (and the fun), I wouldn't have traded my SUV for any car in the world in all of this snow. I actually backed up extremely steep hills on over a foot of snow in this thing. As long as I'm living where I am, I would be stupid to even consider getting rid of the SUV.

And hey... Oooooooooo! It's one of those evil luxury SUVs too! And I love every minute I drive it!

Originally Posted by dgs
Just proves my point that urban dwellers who buy big SUV's and pickup trucks have no intention of ever taking them off-roading and stricktly buy those vehicles for image.
No, you have no point whatsoever! While I have, nor ever had any intention of "off-roading" my huge, gas-guzzling luxury SUV, I sure as h3ll didn't buy it for "image" either. I bought it for hauling things, for still being able to get around in 2 feet of snow if need be, it's absolutely the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned, it's the safest vehicle I've ever owned, and my wife loves the luxury and comfort of riding in it.

Besides, I like the way it irritates radical, brown-nosing, sanctimonious environmental types who hate me so much for driving them!

Originally Posted by dgs
How embarressing must it have been to be passed by a little 2,500 lb Honda Fit in your huge Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition?
Doesn't embarrass me in the least. People pass my SUV in the snow all of the time... some who drive as you claim to drive. When I see them off of the side of the road for being stupid, I shake my head briefly while momentarily feeling sorry for them. Then I drive on by... 'cause at 55-60 mph in the snow, there's no way I'm stopping to help such smug and arrogant loss of common sense!

Originally Posted by dgs
Maybe that's why I hate city dwelling SUV and pickup truck owners so much, because they have no intention of ever using their vehicle for what it was designed for.
No, you hate SUV owners probably because some meddling government moron, some radical leftist teacher/professor, or some paranoid and delusional enviro-extremist who "feels" the world is going to end tomorrow told you to hate them. Ahh, you may as well join the crowd, I guess. There's lots of hate -- for all kinds of reasons -- to go around these days!

Originally Posted by dgs
Although the argument can be made that most modern SUV's are no longer made to be driven off road because so many people never use them for that.
I could use mine for just about anything, but I use it as I described above.

And really, it's no one's business what kind of vehicle anyone chooses to drive. I like the Fit I ordered... and am looking forward to the fun of Fit ownership. Yet, build-wise, feature-wise and in regards to stability and dependence, the Fit doesn't hold a candle... not even anywhere close to being in the same ball park as my SUV.

I test drove a lot of Fits, and I can't wait for mine. But seriously, the Honda Fit is like a funny little toy compared to my SUV. One heck of a fun little toy, true. Definitely a toy in comparison though.

I like to call the SUV my luxury workhorse... because it is just that. (actually, I give my wife the credit for the luxury workhorse label.)

Maybe you should just be happy with your Fit, and leave other driver's choices to them? Oh and, without all of the "hate" while you're at it?

Last edited by annunC8; 02-13-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh and by asshats in 4wd vehicles, I meant the ones doing 70 with 6 inches of messss on the road.
Just to clarify. .

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
[quote=hondaFORlife;813001]5 inches of accumulation doesn't equate to 5 inches of snow on the road surface.
55 is fine on snow packed / recently plowed roads, provided u know how to drive.

Ever hear of ICE? You're not a good driver, you're just a very lucky one. Your time will come.

Flea

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe the others were cautious drivers and knew what they were doing !!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=FLEALAMI;813012]
Originally Posted by hondaFORlife
5 inches of accumulation doesn't equate to 5 inches of snow on the road surface.

Ever hear of ICE? You're not a good driver, you're just a very lucky one. Your time will come.

Flea
Nahh, not a good driver. Only a million miles of truck driving, accident free, in NJ/NY nonetheless. . :rollseyes: ...

NO1 said anything about ice.. obviously we are talking about accumulated snow on a highway. .

Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
I still say that 60 mph is too fast on a snow covered road.

I'm willing to bet that dgs was doing that without winter tires.

I don't care how experienced someone "thinks" they are, that can't be safe driving.

I also think that someone from Texas isn't an experienced winter driver.

Last edited by Virtual; 02-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I personally would only drive that fast in little to no traffic. .
We weren't there to know traffic conditions or road conditions. . So it cracks me up when people are so judgemental,..

Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Man I think everyone missed the main point he's happy and suprised on how his fit handled in the conditions but I can understand everyones concerns but who knows what's safe unless u there in the exact moment in my opinion

Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Exactly. Well put.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
This thread needs more pictures ;]

Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
ZOMG Intarwebz war! Calm down people. Check your egos when you login.

When it's snowing in Texas and Canada is getting less than usual something is wrong with the climate.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Whats snow...?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned
umm i'm glad your Fit did well in the snow but that's just not safe driving.......now if you had said something like this:

I was driving through town at roughly 20 mph, in 3-4 in. of snow, and I was able to drive past a 4x4 truck stuck in the snow, all without ever losing traction in my Fit (or lowered Galant < true story)

then that'd be more reasonable, because then at least you're driving semi-reasonably

Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
stability control will not save yer bacon, it can help somewhat but that's it.

Quick Reply: Something Is Wrong With This Picture