2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn Passenger Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Torn Passenger Seat Question

I see there is a TSB for the front passenger seatback pocket that gets torn from when the right seat folds down into it. To those that have had the seat cover replaced my question is does the replacement seat cover have a pocket? If so, won't this keep happening? Thanks!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well I learnt something new. I had my seat cover replaced shortly after getting the car. I did not realize it happened with the seat going down. I thought it was damaged on installation.

Anyhow I have installed Clazzios over top. They have pockets on both and no tears -).

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Same thing happened to me when I picked mine up last year. First Texas Honda was great and had me drop it off the next day, gave me a loaner, and brought in a resident seamstress to fix/strengthen the pocket. But, you're right: the only reason it hasn't happened again is because I'm now aware of the issue and am semi-cautious when folding the seats down. If you're going to get a new cover installed, it might be worth the hassle of trying to get your dealer to order a passenger cover from a Canadian base model fit (DX), as that's the only one I know of that comes from the factory without a pocket.

Fellow fitfreak member superslurpee posted a bunch of great pics. Check these out:

Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
The only problem with getting that seat cover as a replacement is that it is grey where as sport fabric is black...just sayin.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Ahh, great point. I was thinking solely from my base mentality.

-Rob

Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
The only problem with getting that seat cover as a replacement is that it is grey where as sport fabric is black...just sayin.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
It's cool. I got base love too ;-)

Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
My original tear was so slight I would have let it go but you know who made me take it in. She dosen't drive it though.

Funny how the Clazzios have pockets on both and work just fine.

Now Btrthnezr3 behave.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Well I learnt something new. I had my seat cover replaced shortly after getting the car. I did not realize it happened with the seat going down. I thought it was damaged on installation.

Anyhow I have installed Clazzios over top. They have pockets on both and no tears -).
I'm not seeing or obviously getting what you guys are talking about... my Fit hasn't been shipped yet. What do I need to look out for regarding the seats after I take delivery?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3

Two-tone FTW!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
I'm not seeing or obviously getting what you guys are talking about... my Fit hasn't been shipped yet. What do I need to look out for regarding the seats after I take delivery?

Thanks

When you fold down flat the rear seat behind the passenger seat it rubs against the back of the front passenger's seat because there is not enough clearance. (When front seat is back all the way) Because the passenger seat has a large pocket in the back of it for maps, etc., the rear seat will get hung up on this pocket as it is being lowered causing the pocket to tear. I'm surprised Honda let this go, and also surprised that their solution is to replace the seatcover with an identical one. I wonder how many times they will replace it for someone? I know enough to be careful now, but my kids won't.

Last edited by troywellfit; 02-25-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
not gonna matter to much for me. its a good thing my mom and my aunt were seamstresses at norstorm back in the day. i told my mom i was gonna get seat covers but she said "why don't you just let me make you a custom seat cover?"

god i love her! ill probably get my seats matched with my soon-to-be custom headliner and have her removed the pocket. i have no use for it and i only store junk papers inside there: Work Wheels brochure, Advan Wheels brochure and Tanabe brochure.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Man these Fits have way too many interior issues, I posted a thread on how easily the gauges get scratched.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
My seatback ripped today! Foam is showing, darn!

TSB 09-034 reports it may be eligible for goodwill consideration. Has that ever happened with anyone? I'm really not looking forward to speaking with my dealer after the LMS recall fiasco.

I'm thinking about stitching and gluing the seam.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Denied

I tried to get the replacement when I was in for service last time, no go, especially with them seeing the child seat on the passenger side rear seat.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BobsUrUncle
I tried to get the replacement when I was in for service last time, no go, especially with them seeing the child seat on the passenger side rear seat.
Thanks, I won't even bother with the dealer. :-)

On one hand, this is a used car now (2009), so repairs are expected. But it's annoying having little things break like this that don't break in other cars. So far, a Chevy in the family is beating the Fit in overall quality and dealer experience.

Update, for those out of warranty there is an easy repair. I used Kenyon Repair Tape to cover the rip. I simply cut to fit over entire rip area, cut a slit in the tape at the pocket, and used a couple tiny pieces of tape to reinforce the tear point. It's a few dollars on amazon and about ten minutes of time.

The tape is ripstop nylon and made for repairing tents and coats, and is supposed to be washing machine safe. I think it should stand up to car duty just fine.

Last edited by hyperfit; 01-25-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added diy repair info.