2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Fit Seat Rocking Fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
2010 Fit Seat Rocking Fix

I own a new 2010 Fit and after a few week's of ownership I've noticed like other's have a slight rocking in the driver's seat.I know my 2007 Fit after two year's of hard road abuse(and having owned 8 other Honda's in the past)never had any issue like this.I decided to check my seat rail's, but I didn't find any play in them.Next I checked my seat bolt's and found the one up front,closest to the console,was loose(I could twist it with my finger's)!I took a 14mm socket and tightened it...problem solved.I have a feeling this will become more of a problem in the future(having already read alot of complaint's about this issue) for 09 Fit's forward and wanted to share ONE fix to the rocking seat's.Hope this help's.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update. I have the same problem and only checked the rear bolts, time to check the front ones.

Shesh, I enjoy the fit but it seems like I have done so much to get it up to my standard; horn, mesh grill, throttle spring addition, (to be fixed) Rev Hang/Float, headlight adjustment, seat rocking... ok, I hope that is all.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
So you motivated me to check that specific bolt out during lunch and sure enough, it was loose. The other 3 bolts were tight. What is scary was that the passenger side was also loose in that same location. This to me is an assembly line issue of the torque guns not reaching the correct torque in that location on the line or the bolts loosing up. I did not remove them completely to see if there was any loctite on them but will probably go back with some red or blue loctite tonight.

A loose bolt on the seat during a collision can be dangerous! Hum.. maybe we need to make this a more visable issue but I think a recall is in order.

OP - You should put "WARNING" in your title to get everyones attention. Hate to hear about a injury caused but a seperated seat during a collision.

Those of you who haven't tightened them yourself should complain to dealers about that bolt so it can go to corperate.

PS - Thanks for helping me fix one of the most annoying things about my car! Next is the Rev Hang.

Last edited by IN2TURBOS; 03-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Where exactly are these bolts located?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
There under the Black Plastic Cover's in front of the seat rail's.Just pry off with flat head screw driver and the bolt will be 14mm.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
When tightening the seat bolts, set your torque wrench to 25 ft/lbs.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I cannot tell you how annoying that was. It is a bit concerning, too, but problem solved. Thanks

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
I just checked mine and they are tight (all four). I only get rocking sometimes and it does not feel like it's coming from the base. Feels like there is some slop in the seat chassis or the seat back. It wouldn't really bother except you guys keep bringing it up.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I just took all 8 plastic caps off tonight and sure enough, I had two finger-loose seat bolts: the driver seat front right and the passenger seat front left. Curiously, both inside front bolts, same as in2turbos above. I bet his/her hypothesis is correct.

The intermittent rocking/creaking seat noises have been driving me crazy forever, but not any more. THANK YOU!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Ball
There under the Black Plastic Cover's in front of the seat rail's.Just pry off with flat head screw driver and the bolt will be 14mm.
Thanks. I checked mine last night, and sure enough, the two front inside ones on the driver and passenger seats were loose. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
I have my owned my Sport for three weeks now, and I do occasionally feel a very slight shifting in the driver's seat. I'm going to check the seat bolts, but I was wondering...is this actually the "rocking". It's so sporadic I wasn't sure and it only takes places during side-to-side weight transitions. I'm checking the bolts as soon as possible, but it's nice to know it isn't just me.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
^^Yes that is the cause of the side-to-side seat rocking.I contacted Honda USA and reported the bolt issue.I'm still waiting for the phone call back from them because I couldn't talk to the CEO of Honda America and the only way to contact was through a hand writen letter.I will post their reply(I've been waiting for a week or so).

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks to those with the info in this post. I just checked mine and indeed the driver front inside bolt was loose (slightly tighter than finger tight). I'm going to go out and locktight/torque it but wanted to check this thread again for the torque spec.

To those who had this problem, which plant did your Fit come from??? My 2010 Fit Sport with this issue came from Sayama, Saitama Japan (as shown on window sticker)

Last edited by jondotcom; 04-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:04 AM
I took delivery of a 2010 Fit Sport M/T back on the 18th of March. My seat rocking issue was gradually getting worse to the point of being annoying. This evening I pulled the plastic covers off and checked all the bolts. Like others have said, it was the front inboard bolts that were loose on both drivers and passenger side.

Mine was built in Sayama, Saitama Japan and the dealer gave me a build date of 2-17-2010.

Sounds like Honda needs to take a look at this before it becomes a real issue.

BTW: I love my fit!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
had my Fit for about 2 weeks and noticed this rocking too shortly after taking delivery... didnt bug me much but i notice it much more now.

will have to look at these bolts this afternoon after work... will post the factory and build date of my Fit as well

thanks!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Thanks to those with the info in this post. I just checked mine and indeed the driver front inside bolt was loose (slightly tighter than finger tight). I'm going to go out and locktight/torque it but wanted to check this thread again for the torque spec.

To those who had this problem, which plant did your Fit come from??? My 2010 Fit Sport with this issue came from Sayama, Saitama Japan (as shown on window sticker)
I called American Honda customer care today and informed them of my loose bolts and panel alignment. They took my vin# and detail of the issue and supposedly forward it to engineers.... but whatever.... make sure you do the same if you want Honda to correct it!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ledfoot
I have my owned my Sport for three weeks now, and I do occasionally feel a very slight shifting in the driver's seat. I'm going to check the seat bolts, but I was wondering...is this actually the "rocking". It's so sporadic I wasn't sure and it only takes places during side-to-side weight transitions. I'm checking the bolts as soon as possible, but it's nice to know it isn't just me.
I'm going to disagree with those that say it's the bolts for your case. Check it and get back to us. I get the same thing as you but only sometimes. I just adjusted my seat position the other day and it went away. I checked the bolts and they are all tight. I think there are different types of "seat rocking" going on. Mine is sporadic and very minor and definitely NOT the bolts. BTW, mine is from the Sayama, Saitama Factory. The VIN decoding thread is here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-features.html

Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
I'm going to disagree with those that say it's the bolts for your case. Check it and get back to us. I get the same thing as you but only sometimes. I just adjusted my seat position the other day and it went away. I checked the bolts and they are all tight. I think there are different types of "seat rocking" going on. Mine is sporadic and very minor and definitely NOT the bolts. BTW, mine is from the Sayama, Saitama Factory. The VIN decoding thread is here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-features.html
Just checking when you said they were tight... kindergartener tight or properly torqued to 25 ft lbs?

Just to clarify, my two "loose" bolts would be better described as "improperly torqued," because they were about as tight as my four year old would have tightened them. You definitely couldn't remove it with your fingers, but my four year old would have been able to remove them with a wrench (but not the other 6 that were properly torqued).

The reason it matters is because the flex/play due to the improper torque lets the seat move around under the bolt head but it doesn't let the seat lift off the floor. You can grab the seat and try to duplicate it's fairly difficult to reproduce unless you are driving around in the seat. If I had to guess I'd say that my improperly torqued bolts had a couple ft lbs of torque on them, but nowhere near 25 ft lbs.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Just checking when you said they were tight... kindergartener tight or properly torqued to 25 ft lbs?

Just to clarify, my two "loose" bolts would be better described as "improperly torqued," because they were about as tight as my four year old would have tightened them. You definitely couldn't remove it with your fingers, but my four year old would have been able to remove them with a wrench (but not the other 6 that were properly torqued).

The reason it matters is because the flex/play due to the improper torque lets the seat move around under the bolt head but it doesn't let the seat lift off the floor. You can grab the seat and try to duplicate it's fairly difficult to reproduce unless you are driving around in the seat. If I had to guess I'd say that my improperly torqued bolts had a couple ft lbs of torque on them, but nowhere near 25 ft lbs.
They were TIGHT. I did not use a torque wrench on them but I used a long-handled socket wrench and they would not tighten any more. I checked both driver and passenger (all bolts front and back). I think there is more than one type of rocking going on here. Like I said, mine is sporadic and it feels more like inside the seat back than at the base of the seat. In fact, it has disappeared for now (after I adjusted the seat back position up a bit). So I can't even replicate it for the time being.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
went out and checked mine this morning with the morning coffee and sure enough these bolts were loose (inside FR on the driver, inside FL on the passenger)... not finger loose but the moment i put a socket on it spun very easily. i didnt even check the other bolts, tightened these up by hand and went for a quick little spirited drive in my local twistys and the sensation in my seat was gone.

FYI - from the Sayama, Saitama Factory as well

i was a little skeptical given my experience is very similar to know-nothin, but this was the issue with mine. hope you're able to fix yours!

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit Seat Rocking Fix