2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help convincing the old ball-n-chain!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Need help convincing the old ball-n-chain!

Hello everyone!
So i want to sell my '94 honda accord show car/daily driver & get a fit. I love everything about the car. Haven't test driven on yet, but soon i will. The problem is my fiance/soon to be wife. She's not crazy about the car. For example, she thinks it's ugly & a P.O.S. Sorry guys. So i need help convincing her why we should buy it as our 2nd car. She drives an 08 Nissan Rouge AWD. Not a bad car, but not for me. I need something with more of a sporty look/feel. Any ideas would be great!

Here's a link to my honda accord. FOR SALE!! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/287773

Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I would say if you're replacing your Accord then sell the idea on value and practicality. If you will be the main driver then you should be the one who likes it and not her. Unless you're strapping the finances to buy the Fit she should see the value of replacing the Accord.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by olias
I would say if you're replacing your Accord then sell the idea on value and practicality. If you will be the main driver then you should be the one who likes it and not her. Unless you're strapping the finances to buy the Fit she should see the value of replacing the Accord.
That's 1 of the reasons i love the fit. it's so inexpensive for a brand new car! plus it's awesom on gas. i think gas by me is 2.75 for regular! that's nuts! we have been saving ALL of our $$ to pay for this wedding so we can't afford another car payment right now, but i plan on making a move after our wedding day 7/1/10.

Last edited by dredayfit; 03-20-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I hear you... we made do with 1 car for years so we could buy a house. The most important things in life aren't things. Good luck

Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 PM
If consumer reports top value among all cars tested and numerous other awards, excellent reviews and praise amongst car publications and drivers weren't enough... Random Internet forum posts will do the trick?

If people have read about the Fit and still have concerns other than needs not being met (e.g. family of 6 wouldn't fit in the car...), something is wrong.

My wife was a little apprehensive about the concept of a "sub-compact" and assumed safety implications... until I pointed her to the raves and reviews, and she drove in ours. Now she loves it. Reliability + Efficiency + Price + Utility(for the size) are simply unbeatable. Nothing comes close IMHO, and its fun to drive for a car with these factors...

Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
If you want a good relationship, let her have her car, the Rogue, and you drive/own what you want.

I have a similar situation in that my wife loves her murano and thinks my Fit is a clown car LOL

However she does admire that I am being frugal and am not buying $30-40K cars lately.......so I have that going for me

Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Do like my wife and I do. We take turns. She had a 99 4Runner (the family car) and I had a Miata. It was her turn to buy a car so she got what she wanted: a Fit. I still have the Miata. The next time "we" buy a car it will be my choice to get what I want. At the time I'm thinking Toyota FT 86.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Has she driven it? I was very skeptical til I drove it and saw all the room and how fun it was to drive. But I guess they're not for everybody.....

Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Judging from the car she's driving, I think she's not sold on the size of the Fit.

Try to get her to sit in one. My aunt from South Pasadena, CA is always amazed at how roomy my little GD is whenever she vacations here and stays at our house and gets driven around by me. I even showed her it could swallow all her large bulky baggage without folding any of the seats. For reference she's had an old Nissan Quest and a late-model Toyota 4Runner Limited - all pretty large cars.

If you can get her to sit in it, the next step would be to let her drive around in it for at least half an hour - to cement her final perception of the Fit.

Good luck

Old 03-21-2010, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Ya'll are too nice! I expected to see a million posts saying ditch the woman get the car. Seriously, younger women love the fit 'cause they think its so damn cute. She's obviously got the old school, out dated SUV "bigger is safer" nesting mentality going on. I would get rid of her while you can before she gets a hummer and kills a poor fit freak member while talking on her cell phone and doing her nails.

In all honesty though if her concern is over the size of the car just show her the real crash test (not the BS one where they run into a camry or accord) and remind her that if she ever thinks she is going to be in a head on just swerve off the road into a ditch and she will walk away alive and likely unharmed. The fit WILL survive just about any accident as long as it does not involve a high speed head-on collision with a larger vehicle.

Also if she says anything about reliability just keep chanting "it's a honda. it's a honda. IT'S A HONDA!" wins every argument every time.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-21-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Ha every other girl thinks my fit is cute and all the guys think it looks agressive lol but make her sit in it then drive it my mom is 400 lbs plus and fits in the passenger seat better then in her Buick

Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, get her to sit in one to see how big it is inside. Then arrange a test drive of a Base Fit because she might prefer the softer ride versus the Sport. Then, if she's OK with the car, you can quietly get a Sport instead (if that's your preference) and claim ignorance about the firmer ride if it comes up.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tork
If you want a good relationship, let her have her car, the Rogue, and you drive/own what you want.

I have a similar situation in that my wife loves her murano and thinks my Fit is a clown car LOL

However she does admire that I am being frugal and am not buying $30-40K cars lately.......so I have that going for me

my fiance said the same thing! haha i wanted a new ridgeline, but it doesn't make any sense. we have no kids & i have no toys/boat to tow with it. maybe later. who knows.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by chickp
Has she driven it? I was very skeptical til I drove it and saw all the room and how fun it was to drive. But I guess they're not for everybody.....
no we both have not driven it yet. been to busy planning this wedding. as soon as the wedding comes & go's, we'll be looking for a new car (fit please)

Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM
she's also worried about the fit's ability to drive in the snow. since we live in nj & just got hit with a lot of snow, i'll admit, i'm worried myself. but i do hear a lot of good things on this forum about driving in snow.

as for the roominess of the fit. i would agree that it has a ton of room. i have sat in a 2010 fit & was shocked on how much room it had. we don't plan on having any kids any time soon, but if we did, we have the rouge for that. i'm looking to get a fit for the daily driving quality it has. plus i think it looks hot dropped, tinted & with 16" rims.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
dredayfit, what are the other options you are considering? If they are cars, I don't think snow should be a concern. I have a Fit Sport M/T in Rochester, NY and the car handles as well as any other I have driven in the snow. Can't comment on the A/T though.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dredayfit
she's also worried about the fit's ability to drive in the snow. since we live in nj & just got hit with a lot of snow, i'll admit, i'm worried myself. but i do hear a lot of good things on this forum about driving in snow.

as for the roominess of the fit. i would agree that it has a ton of room. i have sat in a 2010 fit & was shocked on how much room it had. we don't plan on having any kids any time soon, but if we did, we have the rouge for that. i'm looking to get a fit for the daily driving quality it has. plus i think it looks hot dropped, tinted & with 16" rims.
Unless your car is slammed to the ground, pretty much any car with a good set of winter tires will do well in snowy weather. Hell, up here I've seen Jeeps and other 4x4's get stuck. It doesn't matter how much ground clearance you have, if the snow is as deep as your ground clearance, you're done anyway, 4 wheel drive or not.

Yeah my wife doesn't like the look of the Fit, but it is my next car since all I need is a small commuter car to save on gas, but want something sporty, since all I've owned is Civic Si's ('89 and '94) and currently have a GTI whose lease is due next July. Love the car but maintenance and premium gas all the time is starting to unnerve me. Plus I miss my Honda's!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 AM
All I can say is have her read the reviews and see the praise.

A test drive would also help. I know mine sold me on the car.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bowkr
dredayfit, what are the other options you are considering? If they are cars, I don't think snow should be a concern. I have a Fit Sport M/T in Rochester, NY and the car handles as well as any other I have driven in the snow. Can't comment on the A/T though.
well i went from a fit to hundayi genisus to jeep patriot. but i still keep coming back to the fit. i like the genisus, but it's gonna run me around 26k & i'd like to stay under that. the patriot was alright, but i found myself trying to like it. but as i said, i keep coming back to the fit. my first car was a 85 toyota mr2 & i think once you've owned a small car, you always have a thing for them. Plus, i can tune my fit for less than the genisus would cost.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dredayfit
well i went from a fit to Hundayi Genesis to jeep patriot. but i still keep coming back to the fit. i like the Genesis, but it's gonna run me around 26k & i'd like to stay under that. the patriot was alright, but i found myself trying to like it. but as i said, i keep coming back to the fit. my first car was a 85 toyota mr2 & i think once you've owned a small car, you always have a thing for them. Plus, i can tune my fit for less than the Genesis would cost.
Fixed! Not genisus.

Quick Reply: Need help convincing the old ball-n-chain!