2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative Garmin GPS mounting opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Alternative Garmin GPS mounting opinions wanted

Has anyone used either of these and if so, what are your opinions:

View Product Arkon Removable Air Vent Mount for Garmin at The GPS Store

View Product Arkon Cup Holder Mount for Garmin at The GPS Store

Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
never used eater one m tom tom had a mt that was like a suction cup so it could be mted to a window i put mine on the driver side little one and its deffently the best place i have tried

Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have used this dash mount in all my cars and it works great. Easy to stow away to prevent thift when going into the store and stays put even on the last road trip in the Fit through the mountians of Colorado. That was one fun drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-109...9452061&sr=8-2

Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS
I have used this dash mount in all my cars and it works great. Easy to stow away to prevent thift when going into the store and stays put even on the last road trip in the Fit through the mountians of Colorado. That was one fun drive.

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics
I'm torn between that and the vent mount. One thing for sure, I don't want to stick anything to the dash so I won't be doing that. As for the window, I think the slope of the window would put it way out there or it would have to be stuck on very high…like near where the mirror is.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also try proclip. just do a search online.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
also try proclip. just do a search online.
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
I use the window mount that came with my GPS, here is a pic of where I have it mounted
Name:  GPSwindow.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  120.8 KB

Old 03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I use the window mount that came with my GPS, here is a pic of where I have it mounted
I like it in the center of the cabin because when my wife is in the car with me she can punch in info so I can keep my attention on the road.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics
I will confirm what IN2TURBOS is saying. I have this mount and it is the best I have found by far. It is amazing how this thing stays put even though it doesn't have any tape or sticky stuff on the bottom. I use it in my FIT and my BMW and I can tell you that in my BMW I have taken some curves pretty fast and the thing doesn't budge.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I've been using the bean bag mount as well for the last 2 years, no complaints. Instead of the Garmin mount, I bought a cheaper one on amazon for $13, the Bracketron UFM-100

Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by forress
I've been using the bean bag mount as well for the last 2 years, no complaints. Instead of the Garmin mount, I bought a cheaper one on amazon for $13, the Bracketron UFM-100
I have two of these...one for the GPS, one for my phone. I love them. They do not slide around...and I certainly have tried.

I tried a vent mount once and I hated the way it completely obstructed the vent.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, the bean bag mount seems best for my Fit. The suction windshield works better in my other cars.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the feedback. These are cheap enough, I guess, that I can just pick one and see how it works. Replace if necessary. I have to say there is something that bothers me aesthetically about the bean bag mount but I can probably get over it.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
I had one of the vent mounts. Didn't like it. It shakes on bumps and was just cheap and rattley. I have and recommend a Pro Clip. ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you all for your help. For some reason, I would like to make the bean bag mount my last resort (don't really know what my hang up is with the item). After reading a bunch of reviews on amazon, I decided to try out 2 different mounts and see if either will work for me. If neither does, I will probably go with the bean bag mount everyone here seems to like. Here are the gizmos:

1. A more robust version of the vent mount with spring clips. If this works well, I may try to fashion something to keep the GPS unit away from the vent so that it does not block air flow. I would also like to avoid condensation on the GPS unit:

Amazon.com: IG-A03: Vent Mount for GARMIN NUVI 200, 200W, 250, 250W, 260, 260W, 270, 205, 205W, 255, 255W, 265T, 265WT, 275T, 500, 550, 680, 750, 760, 770, 780, 755T, 765T, 775T, 785T, 850, 880, 5000 by OnCourse: Everything Else

2. A cup mount with a gooseneck on it:

Amazon.com: MOBI 70078 GPS Universal Cup Mount: Electronics

I just ordered both and will return or take the loss on them if they don't work for me. I'll report back once I get the items and try them out.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
In the beginning I used the suction cup on the driver's side front window. It was a hassle to keep attached. I would attach and re-attach at each store I visit when I went shopping. The GPS kept falling. Finally I got a Garmin bean bag mount and it works great. I put it in the glove box when not in use or I stuff it under the front right side of the driver's seat for times I am just going to be gone for a few minutes.

I have an Arkon clip for my iPhone 3Gs that clips to the center vent. It's not very 'secure' and moves around a little. I would imagine all vent clips do this, unless you use the ProClips.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blassty
I have an Arkon clip for my iPhone 3Gs that clips to the center vent. It's not very 'secure' and moves around a little. I would imagine all vent clips do this, unless you use the ProClips.
Yes, some reviewers had the same complaint about the Akron vent clip as you but the IG vent clip with the spring seems to have gotten better reviews (more secure), so I am giving that a try (along with the cup holder version). The bean bag mount is going to be my fall back option. I am not planning on using the suction mount at all.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
I use the portable friction mount for my Garmin and I love it. I sit it between the "hump" of the gauge cluster and the center console. It never moves and it's easy to see.

I used a vent lip mount for my XM radio when I had my Prelude. It's worked fairly well but did occasionally come loose. Adjusting the clips that hook the vent fins also could be frustrating.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Ledfoot, Was it the friction mount found here that you have?
Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount: Electronics
That's what I have been considering getting. How does it look on the dash and is it easily stored in the glove box? I read some of the reviews on Amazon saying it leaves a sticky mark on the dash - have you experienced that?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a Tom Tom (sorry don't know the model number) first and found the suction cup mount on it to be worthless. I then traded it in for a Magellan Roadmate 1475T. The suction cup mount on it is near perfect. I haven't had any problems yet with it staying glued to my windshield.

Quick Reply: Alternative Garmin GPS mounting opinions wanted