2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative Garmin GPS mounting opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Minty1
Ledfoot, Was it the friction mount found here that you have?
Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount: Electronics
That's what I have been considering getting. How does it look on the dash and is it easily stored in the glove box? I read some of the reviews on Amazon saying it leaves a sticky mark on the dash - have you experienced that?

Thanks!
I have the beanbag-style mount mentioned earlier in the thread. I have never seen the one you posted before. I would say that none of these mounts would fit in the glove box if you have, say, the manual in it. I take my nuvi off pocket it, and either put the beanbag mount in the passenger foot well or remove it completely and put it under the rear seat. I can accomplish this while still sitting in the car.

I have not noticed a "sticky spot" really, but I wouldn't be surprise if it did occur. It's amazing how sturdy these friction mounts can be. That full-rubbery one looks interesting, but I wonder if it loses it's felxibility if you leave it in the same spot for a long time....hmmm....

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Minty1
Ledfoot, Was it the friction mount found here that you have?
Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount: Electronics
That's what I have been considering getting. How does it look on the dash and is it easily stored in the glove box? I read some of the reviews on Amazon saying it leaves a sticky mark on the dash - have you experienced that?

Thanks!
I saw that but have not used it. The reviews concern me because it has a sticky bottom that may leave residue on the dash. Also, if the bottom picks up lint and debris over time, it will loose its adhesive ability. So I passed on it.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Review and pics

I got my GPS and the vent and cup holder mounts. The vent mount is OK. Pretty stable. A little finicky to attach and remove. The ball is not a perfect fit for the Garmin but it works. I give it 3.5 out 5 stars. I have that on my Accord for now.

Here are a few pics of the cup holder mount on the Fit. Works well and is easy to attach. Ball is perfect size an there are several different way to swivel and angle GPS. When removed, stows very nicely in lower glove box of Fit. I give it 4+ stars. I deduct something because I think they could have come up with a slicker way to expand the base to snug up against the cup holder.