2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Visit For Engine Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer Visit For Engine Vibration (Updated 5/28)

My friend has a 2009 Fit with 32,000 miles.

During a routine oil change, I noticed a subtle vibration at idle as well as some engine "clatter" or metallic tapping noise during light acceleration. When the engine is warm, the vibration is fairly light (though still noticeable), but the vibration is more pronounced during cold start-up.

So earlier today, I brought the vehicle to the dealer and mentioned this problem and asked them to look into it.

It was a slower day and they had a few techs look at the car. The tech was able to duplicate my concern that indeed, there was a subtle engine vibration at idle.

According to the tech, he found in the stored data list that there was at one point, a cylinder #3 misfire. The report also stated that he found the short-term fuel trim to be at 1.02 and the MAP sensor voltage to be at 0.96v.

The tech's resolution is to first adjust the valve clearance, then proceed from there. They have to order a valve cover gasket and a few other gaskets in order to do the work, so they want me to drop the car off next week for them to finish the work and to continue diagnosing.

My Mitchell info shows that an in-range ST fuel trim should be between 0.69-1.47, but I am not sure what an "ideal" reading would be. I don't know what the correct operating range is for the MAP sensor though.

Personally, I am not sure how a valve adjustment will solve the engine vibration problem, especially since the car is not showing a CEL right now, or has it ever.

What do you folks think is the problem?

Last edited by The Critic; 05-28-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Critic
My Mitchell info shows that an in-range ST fuel trim should be between 0.69-1.47, but I am not sure what an "ideal" reading would be. I don't know what the correct operating range is for the MAP sensor though.

Personally, I am not sure how a valve adjustment will solve the engine vibration problem, especially since the car is not showing a CEL right now, or has it ever.

What do you folks think is the problem?
I can't help you but it sounds like you may know more than the mechanics (honestly)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps this is helpful-

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...se-engine.html

The thread gets more interesting as it moves along.

Dan

Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Well 1.02 is right near the middle of .69 - 1.47, so I think the reading is irrelevant to the symptom and problem.

Has the car been modified in any way?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
Well 1.02 is right near the middle of .69 - 1.47, so I think the reading is irrelevant to the symptom and problem.

Has the car been modified in any way?
Nope. 100% stock.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 AM
xm8
You need a valve adjustment.

A good number of GE owners are reporting a metallic tapping noise.

Read this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-engine-6.html

Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not a mechanic. So I can't offer "deep" advice as to what it might be.

All I can say is my new Fit is only 2 weeks old with less than 1000 miles. I absolutely love the vehicle but engine knock/valve clatter/injector noise has been the biggest disapointment so far.

It's very difficult to diagnosis or evaluate. It's right on the line between acceptable and too loud. I'd say compared to my 17 year old trade in 1993 Accord, it's about the same audible noise, I'd say compared to many/most vehicles on the road it's not louder than most....but it seems loud to me for a "brand new" vehicle.

I can live with it, if it's normal. It is IMO disappointingly loud for a brand new vehicle. I did mention it to the dealer when I had some purchased options/extras installed. They said they had a technician listen to it and drive it and it all was "normal".

It's just so much on the line that it's hard for me to evaluate. It does seem to be louder when it's colder and quieter when it's warmer and at speeds much above 30 the tire road noise seems to "white noise" the sound out.

All I can say at this point is when they were installing the options for my New Fit, I drove a new rental Toyota Corolla with about 1500 "rental" miles on it. I have to say The Corolla was a LOT more quiet at idle and on acceleration. I could barely hear it.

Absolutely love my Fit, but it's NOT a quiet automobile...I'm just giving it some time for engine break in and to see whether it quiets down, stays the same or get's louder.

I did have them formally enter my concerns of the invoice, incase this results in warranty work needing to be done. I hope not.

So much designed well in The Fit...so much I like...but it is disappointing when the Rental Car you rent while they are adding extra's to your Fit is quieter than your new vehicle.

Last edited by fitchet; 04-03-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
So, the vibration is still present and it is still noticeable. I am going to do a side-by-side test drive of a 2010 Fit as a comparison before taking it to a different dealer.

What else could be the problem? The engine operates normally, but there is just noticeable engine vibration.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like carbon knock, Try a different gasoline with higher octane if problem goes away then use fuel injector cleaner and go back to what ever gas you want. If you still have problem dont know. Do you use synthetic oil? Could be valve sticking too.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Sounds like carbon knock, Try a different gasoline with higher octane if problem goes away then use fuel injector cleaner and go back to what ever gas you want. If you still have problem dont know. Do you use synthetic oil? Could be valve sticking too.
It doesn't ping. I guess I could check the IAC and throttle body.

Yes, synthetic oil is used. Current oil is Valvoline SynPower 5w-20.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
What is vibration (ping)? Rule it out by putting better gas in. What is knock? a misfire, vibration, bad gas mileage, louder motor, metalic sound. An engine when new uses 87 but ORI (octane rate increase)can go up 15 points in as little as 15000 miles. A rough idle can be fixed by cleaning the throttle body. Most people dont realize that Honda does use a high compression engine and is in a 2500lb car that the engine works very hard to move.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
What is vibration (ping)? Rule it out by putting better gas in. What is knock? a misfire, vibration, bad gas mileage, louder motor, metalic sound. An engine when new uses 87 but ORI (octane rate increase)can go up 15 points in as little as 15000 miles. A rough idle can be fixed by cleaning the throttle body. Most people dont realize that Honda does use a high compression engine and is in a 2500lb car that the engine works very hard to move.
I guess I can perform a fuel induction service, but since it still has 400 miles left on the warranty I'll let the dealer handle it. I'm just afraid that they'll come back saying NPF.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Critic
I guess I can perform a fuel induction service, but since it still has 400 miles left on the warranty I'll let the dealer handle it. I'm just afraid that they'll come back saying NPF.
I would go back to dealer and say problem still exists, DO NOT get fuel service yet those chemicals are harsh and used as last resort, that is why I said run higher octane because it doesn't clean that fast and the problem will disappear (NO KNOCK)before you get home from the gas station. I am really surprised that they did not tell you that. I hope you can solve the problem with out spending lots of money but I think that is what the dealer wants you to do. 1 tank of premium wont hurt your car and take out on the highway at highway speed for a few miles.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
I asked my mechanic about the same issue I'm having, except with the GD3. He thinks it might be something literally vibrating and causing the clatter... he's going to take a look at the issue when I get my A/C fixed and such. I'll let you know if I find a solution, even though it's the GD3, as your problem is exactly as I'd describe mine.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Interesting issue - I would lean towards the mounts

However

It does seem like we have a split thread
two threads - same author - same subject - same forum

I would caution against doing this
makes following through to solution
real difficult

Need a Moderator to combine them

Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I was going to say broken motor mount. Rough idle, engine leaps when you hold down the brake and push the accelerator.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Was this issue resolved. I have the exact same issue with my GD