2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dead Battery. Had for less than 2 weeks.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by maryannsfit
Ok. Husband hooked Fit up to our "smart" battery charger. This would tell if the battery was bad. It didnt say anything, just charged. While it was charging, I did a walk around of the vehicle to double check the doors. I got to the hatch....I opened it and re-closed it. We didnt have it fully closed.

To re-cap-battery is ok and I need that dunce hat now...
Haha. The hatch got you just like it did me. That hatch is a tricky devil.

When I hooked up the smart charger on mine, the battery was drained just below the green. Just enough so I got the clicking noise instead of the engine turning over. All has been fine since but I double check the hatch now when I close it.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
A 51R battery (commonly available Wal-Mart, AutoZone, etc.) will fit an 07-08 USDM, Don't know about 09-10. Batteries Plus' website lists it as a replacement for a Fit, but doesn't list years. A 51R is larger with more capacity than the stock battery. If your up for a battery not covered by warranty, this is better/cheaper than the hard/impossible to find 151R (factory battery).
I have an 08 and 09 Fit. I could replace the 151R with a 51R in the 08, but, it doesn't appear to be possible to do it in the 09. From my measurements, the useable space is 1/2 inch too short (battery length) to put the 51R. There may be some major alterations to do it... but it wouldn't be simple.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by know-nothin
All has been fine since but I double check the hatch now when I close it.
I will definitely be doing that I thought it looked wrong but my hands were full of Chinese food so I didn't bother to double check...I guess I learned my lesson.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
I just read through this entire thread and found the suspense rather entertaining lol. Glad everything turned out ok. Hope your nervousness is gone and that you enjoy your new car now!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 AM
if the hatch is ajar isnt it impossible to arm the car/ lock with remote? put LED interior bulbs you can leave the light on all week and itll still start hahah

Old 04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
if the hatch is ajar isnt it impossible to arm the car/ lock with remote?
Mine was in the garage so I had left it unlocked.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
if the hatch is ajar isnt it impossible to arm the car/ lock with remote? put LED interior bulbs you can leave the light on all week and itll still start hahah
I was wondering. Are there LED bulbs to replace all the interior lighting... and still have reasonable light?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM
makes it way brighter inside.. even my beater car has LED interior bulbs

Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
makes it way brighter inside.. even my beater car has LED interior bulbs
You convinced me. I'll have to start looking at Adance Auto. thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I will definitely be doing that I thought it looked wrong but my hands were full of Chinese food so I didn't bother to double check...I guess I learned my lesson.
I'm probably just used to my other hatchback, but I have accidently not completely shut and latched my hatchback 3 or 4 times now. No battery drain on that one yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
if the hatch is ajar isnt it impossible to arm the car/ lock with remote?
that is absolutely correct. I learned that very fast. But I will pay closer attention now to make sure it locks. Im used to my Jeep that I slam my doors shut and have to lock manually. I am being gentle with the Fit

Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Had the Fit for less than two weeks. Have PNY 8GB Flash Drive plugged into top glove box. Last drove Fit on Saturday (today is Tuesday night). I tried to start her and nothing. A couple dash lights came on when I press brake pedal, but thats all.

I am wondering if its the Flash Drive. Once we left our phone charger plugged into our truck with no phone plugged into it, and it drained the truck. And that was a diesel truck with two batteries.

Saying I am thoroughly pissed-off right now is a huge understatement. I have tried to dig for info to see if it is the Flash Drive, and came up empty. Having just posted a different question makes me feel like I know nothing.

There has been a run of defectivebatteries in the weird Fit size so check with your dealer toi see if yours should be replaced under warranty.
good luck.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Happened to me shortly after I got mine. I had not closed the hatch properly and it sat in the garage like that for a couple days, plus is was as cold as a witch's you-know-what at the time. Once I did a slow charge on the battery, it's been turning over like a turbine ever since.

When I got my Accord back in '91, the battery died on it too and needed a recharge. The way I figure it, new cars often have low batteries from sitting for long periods of time and then the dealer starts them, moves them 20 feet, turns them off and they sit some more. They are supposed to top them off before delivery but judging by the thread about the body plugs, I doubt that even 50% of the cars delivered to customers have their batteries topped off. They probably figure you'll drive the hell out it right after you get it and that will take care of the matter. If it was me, I'd just consider it a non-issue and charge the battery. If it happens again, then you know something is wrong. Good luck.
I had a similar experience, as did a friend who bought an Acura TL.

I bought the car new and drove home on a Saturday. On Monday, I drove back to the dealer with a check for the car. The following Saturday, the battery was dead. I had a jump, and drove for 2 hours and have never had a battery problem since.

It takes a while to fully charge batteries and the car must have been on the dealer's lot for a while. Before they give it to you, they either were lucky and it started or jumped your car. If you get a jump, drive for at least an hour, and you should be fine. Otherwise have the dealer look at replacing the battery.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blazej
I had a similar experience, as did a friend who bought an Acura TL.

I bought the car new and drove home on a Saturday. On Monday, I drove back to the dealer with a check for the car. The following Saturday, the battery was dead. I had a jump, and drove for 2 hours and have never had a battery problem since.

It takes a while to fully charge batteries and the car must have been on the dealer's lot for a while. Before they give it to you, they either were lucky and it started or jumped your car. If you get a jump, drive for at least an hour, and you should be fine. Otherwise have the dealer look at replacing the battery.
When I got my used 09 Fit it had been sitting at the car lot for only 6 months. I had to jump it at the dealers the day I took it home... a 2 hour drive. I had to jump or push start the car every day for the next week.... I got nothing but the usual clicking from the solenoid. I charged it 24 hours and checked it out with load test and it was marginal. I thought maybe I was getting a drain when the car sat overnight. I used an ammeter to check the drain as it sat unused. It was fine.... only miliamps for the radio and whatever else is running. The battery died overnight. I had to get a new battery, which operates perfectly with no problems. It's hard to understand how a battery that is less than a year old can die completely if it sits around unused for 6 months.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Another dead battery here, 2009 Sport, purchased about 6 months ago. 16,000 miles. It died last night, ruined all my plans. So I pull the battery this morning and walk to Honda as I'm not about to pay for a tow for the .75 mile trip, or call BP motor club and wait 3 hours for a tow for a battery. They tell me they can't replace it without the car, which is a stupid policy for batteries at least, I will be contacting Corporate Honda of America about my experience.

They get a porter to drive me back to my car about mile away and charge it, to bring it back and have the battery replaced for a new one. The guy shut off the car accidentally in the shop and they had to jump it again just to get it into the service area. They replaced it right away though.

The service guy I was talking to was ripping on the batteries in the Fit saying they're just too small.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies
Another dead battery here, 2009 Sport, purchased about 6 months ago. 16,000 miles. It died last night, ruined all my plans. So I pull the battery this morning and walk to Honda as I'm not about to pay for a tow for the .75 mile trip, or call BP motor club and wait 3 hours for a tow for a battery. They tell me they can't replace it without the car, which is a stupid policy for batteries at least, I will be contacting Corporate Honda of America about my experience.

They get a porter to drive me back to my car about mile away and charge it, to bring it back and have the battery replaced for a new one. The guy shut off the car accidentally in the shop and they had to jump it again just to get it into the service area. They replaced it right away though.

The service guy I was talking to was ripping on the batteries in the Fit saying they're just too small.
What they fail to tell you is that they know that these batteries were made badly and have been redesigned... look for the ones "without" the sight port... these are the newer better ones. The parts guy at my dealer said that numerous batteries have gone bad and that "somehow" the newer batteries are working out okay. Look for the ones without the sight port on top.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
What they fail to tell you is that they know that these batteries were made badly and have been redesigned... look for the ones "without" the sight port... these are the newer better ones. The parts guy at my dealer said that numerous batteries have gone bad and that "somehow" the newer batteries are working out okay. Look for the ones without the sight port on top.
Confirmed on my end, my old battery had the sight port. And the new one does NOT have it.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by einstein77
Good info. The original one did have the sight port, was whiteish-plastic with black top made by "Furokawa Battery Company" or something like that. The new one is all black, and "made in Brazil", I don't recall if it had that sight but from your guys descriptions it shouldn't.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Mine was also bad. Had it replaced. Only 2 weeks after I got the car.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
The sight glass never was correct on the battery that I wound up dumping. Even after a full charge when the sight glass indicated it was charged, under a load test it failed instantly, all the time the sight glass showed it was working properly and had a full charge. It never made any sense. The new battery has no sight glass, and has worked perfectly for the last 6 months. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This one must be one of the Brazil ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead Battery. Had for less than 2 weeks.