2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery. Had for less than 2 weeks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Dead Battery. Had for less than 2 weeks.

Had the Fit for less than two weeks. Have PNY 8GB Flash Drive plugged into top glove box. Last drove Fit on Saturday (today is Tuesday night). I tried to start her and nothing. A couple dash lights came on when I press brake pedal, but thats all.

I am wondering if its the Flash Drive. Once we left our phone charger plugged into our truck with no phone plugged into it, and it drained the truck. And that was a diesel truck with two batteries.

Saying I am thoroughly pissed-off right now is a huge understatement. I have tried to dig for info to see if it is the Flash Drive, and came up empty. Having just posted a different question makes me feel like I know nothing.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Get the car jumped and see. You could have easily left your headlights half on, or your map lights on, etc. You won't know till you get the car back up and running exactly what the culprit is. This kinda thing is easy to do with a new car. I did it with my Fit when I went out to the movies. Came out after and the car was dead. Turns out I left the headlights half on- not fully turned off, and just didn't realize it. But that was two hours or so and the battery came back to life all on it's own after I turned the HL's off. After a couple of days or more, you'll need a jump. Not a big deal. But make sure you track down what the cause was. I get the feeling it's not the usb drive, but lights you left on by mistake. Good luck.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 04-13-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely not the flash drive -- power to that (and the 12V plug) gets turned off when you turn the car off. If you didn't leave any lights on, the battery could be bad .

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Trust me light switch is first place I looked. Off. It was also daylight when I parked her and I always listen for the "ding your lights are on ding" (I always reply thank you lol). I will certainly reply as soon as I find out info. I don't want this to happen to someone else and them be as confused/worried as me.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing map lights then. No ding when they're left on and since it's push button for on/off, you can't tell as of yet what the deal is until you fire the car back up. Look for them when you do so. Or like it's been mentioned- bad battery. It's happened, but not often it seems.

Dan

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a "headlight ding ding" if you leave the lights on? I don't remember.

If the car is new and it does it again go in for a new battery replacement...might just be a bad one?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
Definitely not the flash drive -- power to that (and the 12V plug) gets turned off when you turn the car off. If you didn't leave any lights on, the battery could be bad .
Agreed... I would jump it and schedule a trip to the dealer to diagnose the cause. Could be a defective battery, it happens.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by reako
Agreed... I would jump it and schedule a trip to the dealer to diagnose the cause. Could be a defective battery, it happens.
There is a 99% chance I will be going to the dealer soon to have it checked out. Thanks.

Map lights are the light on the ceiling right? Ive only touched those once and that was to have them come on when doors come open. Maybe a door got left open. If that is the case....I will be needing a Dunce hat....

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
No, that's the dome light you're talking about. The map lights are the white lights above you in the front. You push them on or off. Maybe the hatch is adjar? If not, I'm outa bullets. LOL! You'll find it when the car is back on.

Dan

Old 04-14-2010, 12:54 AM
if you only had it that long, have the dealer test it, maybe it was defective or they let the battery die at the dealer so it cant hold a charge now, and maybe have them do a current test too while theyre at it

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
not sure about the truck or the map lights.
but i did notice if you leave your door open
the car will automatically shut off the dome light.

also you must consider a bad battery. it happens.
i had it happen to me and others on here have had
it done to them. just like anything they don't make
them like they used to.
the dealer replaced mine under warranty. so best
advise visit the dealer soon before you get stuck
in the middle of no where.
just my .02

Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 AM
there's more of a chance that you left a light on somewhere. since the Fit has a tiny battery, it'll certainly drain quickly if that happens.

i've accidentally left my fogs + parking lights on at work. i came out for lunch 4 hours later and it was dunzo. luckily, i carry a small jumpstarter w/ me. you may want to pick one up for about $50 for those accidental emergencies.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
if you only had it that long, have the dealer test it, maybe it was defective or they let the battery die at the dealer so it cant hold a charge now, and maybe have them do a current test too while theyre at it
That is wonderful advise! I will write that down and see if they can figure it out.

My husband looked up some info and saw that Fit has had battery issues since 07. Apparently they don't make em like they used to and don't like fixing the problem at the source.

I hadn't ever used the map lights and thats good to know about the door lights.

My husband said we should really take to the dealer, so I guess we will lol. This has all really thrown me for a loop because in 6 years, my Jeep's battery has never died. So to have a battery die after only driving a brand spanking new vehicle a handful of times makes me extremely nervous.

And niko3257...thanks for the .02 I appreciate any 2 cents for everyone.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Happened to me too, had the car for 3 weeks and the battery went dead after getting off from work. Took it to the dealer and bitch at them, test the battery and replaced it without any question.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
A 51R battery (commonly available Wal-Mart, AutoZone, etc.) will fit an 07-08 USDM, Don't know about 09-10. Batteries Plus' website lists it as a replacement for a Fit, but doesn't list years. A 51R is larger with more capacity than the stock battery. If your up for a battery not covered by warranty, this is better/cheaper than the hard/impossible to find 151R (factory battery).

Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Happened to me shortly after I got mine. I had not closed the hatch properly and it sat in the garage like that for a couple days, plus is was as cold as a witch's you-know-what at the time. Once I did a slow charge on the battery, it's been turning over like a turbine ever since.

When I got my Accord back in '91, the battery died on it too and needed a recharge. The way I figure it, new cars often have low batteries from sitting for long periods of time and then the dealer starts them, moves them 20 feet, turns them off and they sit some more. They are supposed to top them off before delivery but judging by the thread about the body plugs, I doubt that even 50% of the cars delivered to customers have their batteries topped off. They probably figure you'll drive the hell out it right after you get it and that will take care of the matter. If it was me, I'd just consider it a non-issue and charge the battery. If it happens again, then you know something is wrong. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Also happened to me. I bought my 09 model in 2010 and I believe the car sat around on various dealer lots for over 1 year before I bought it. They had to charge the battery before I could even test drive the car, as it was sitting in their showroom.

Took it back to the dealer (a different one) and they replaced it under warranty. I noticed the battery failing a few days after I bought it. I was sitting in my driveway, playing with the radio for about 5-10 minutes. Then went to start the car and got the dreaded clicking noise when trying to start it.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Make sure the +/- post connections are tight and have the dealer replace the battery if necessary. It's covered under the warranty.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Final Verdict

Ok. Husband hooked Fit up to our "smart" battery charger. This would tell if the battery was bad. It didnt say anything, just charged. While it was charging, I did a walk around of the vehicle to double check the doors. I got to the hatch....I opened it and re-closed it. We didnt have it fully closed.

To re-cap-battery is ok and I need that dunce hat now...

Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
The same has happened to me on my Fit and to my wife on her Forester..... All of these conveniences can be a real pain at times.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery. Had for less than 2 weeks.