2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident and door latch failure!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
What I see is that you're looking to blame the door latch or the road design while denying that your son is at fault.
Not at all…my son lost control of his vehicle, and that’s not Honda’s fault. And I thought I would try to explain the situation.

But he didn’t manufacture the door or the latch. And doors should stay shut in a situation such as this. I think safety is an issue here, but maybe you don't.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-02-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
Well at least we have this saved on the forums. If it happens to someone else in the future we will know that they were not the first, but for now it appears to be an isolated incident.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 PM
maybe he freaked out and tried jumping out and opened the door himself honda is not going 2 do anything unless there r multiple incidents maybe we all should do a 180 and fly r doors open at 40 mph in a fit wow glad i bought one

Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm sure whatever he did racked the uni-body and exceeded the design parameters, I'm sure it will come out that the son did a lot more than he is saying, this will come out when it need to go to a frame shop

Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Well at least we have this saved on the forums. If it happens to someone else in the future we will know that they were not the first, but for now it appears to be an isolated incident.
It will remain an isolated incident unless he gets behind the wheel of another Fit with faulty latches.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdr40z
I'm sure whatever he did racked the uni-body and exceeded the design parameters, I'm sure it will come out that the son did a lot more than he is saying, this will come out when it need to go to a frame shop
Well since the accident was over 3.5 months ago, I have a feeling that it won't ever come out.

I still say that the door shouldn't open. but I have a feeling this thread should be closed.

~SB

Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...roll-over.html

I remember see the pictures of this car after he first posted. Looked like a light roll with no major damage to the car expect the front door popping open and getting folded forward.

If I was Honda I'd start investigating, doors shouldn't open in minor accidents and now there've been 2 accounts on this forum alone of that happening?

As far as spinning out... short wheelbase cars are more prone to snapping around that longer wheelbase ones. There's a corner by my house that with snow on the ground my Fit is always trying to do a 180 on me, even at 15mph. I have to countersteer a lot and pull out of it with the throttle to keep headed in the right direction. Being real light in the rear end doesn't help either.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by cargun
Looked like a light roll with no major damage to the car expect the front door popping open and getting folded forward.

If I was Honda I'd start investigating, doors shouldn't open in minor accidents and now there've been 2 accounts on this forum alone of that happening
Umm, a roll over accident is not a minor accident. Roll over accidents which involve 720 degrees of rotation are really big deals.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Wrong…the car has been fixed since July, and there were no issues in the repair. There was no damage to the frame, suspension or wheel alignment. The passenger door hinges were slightly bent, but the frame of the car was perfect. The door latch was replaced by the dealership since they too had an issue with what happened, and the latch itself was sent back to Honda. No word from them and I don’t expect any. The dealership did an excellent job on the repairs…the passenger door is a new frame, but using the same glass window and interior parts.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Umm, a roll over accident is not a minor accident. Roll over accidents which involve 720 degrees of rotation are really big deals.
Well true, but it depends on what you mean by a “big deal”. A roll-over does not necessarily equate to excessive force or impact. And I know firsthand because back in the 70’s I had a small car that I rolled all the way around due to low rear tire pressure, sliding on a patch of sand, and irresponsible driving. No one was injured and all four doors remained closed. But every single spot of the car was damaged.
The gentleman that rolled his Fit in the snow did not incur excessive impacts and thus his side airbags did not deploy. He hit snow…and lots of it. The centrifugal and inertial forces during the roll-over was enough for the latch to pulled open, or stated another way…for the latch to be “unlatched”. The latch probably did not fail or break, but simply it unlatched. And that’s what happened to our Fit…and it caused expensive damage. Fortunately all the body damage could be replaced.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Well true, but it depends on what you mean by a “big deal”. A roll-over does not necessarily equate to excessive force or impact. And I know firsthand because back in the 70’s I had a small car that I rolled all the way around due to low rear tire pressure, sliding on a patch of sand, and irresponsible driving. No one was injured and all four doors remained closed. But every single spot of the car was damaged.
Sorry, that's crazy talk. Sure, you might be luck and be uninjured, but any amount of force to send a car onto its roof is quite sizable.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
wow I have followed this thread since day one. I decided not to comment because everyone else seem to have an "opinion" on what happened. Now here it is again....So any type of rollover is a serious accident period. I don't care how much "visible" damage was done or not. The door opening without any type of visible damage should be a concern. People can try and discredit the driver all they want but just based off what the op posted I for one would like to know how a door opens during a spin-out without ever having a rear passenger or any damage done to it. Is it possible that the door opened due to stressing/twisting of the frame? Yes but the way cars are designed it's highly unlikely. Honda would have have a tone of claims already considering how many Honda's are raced around North America on a daily basis.

All I can say is after spending a good chunk of my youth "racing" Honda's in general and spinning out more times then I can remember not once did any door fly open...EVER!!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
Wtf? I would have went out of my way to make sure that the adjuster totalled the vehicle. It's usually just a matter of asking with something as boderline as this. Why would you want to keep a vehicle that has been through so many extensive repairs.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
OP should have just let it go. This thread will never die and is full of FAIL.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
The purpose of forums to exchange ideas, share common interests and exchange information. In this case, I wanted to let everyone know what happened to our Fit and to warn folks of the possible dangers associated with this vehicle. Perhaps my door latch was an isolated case, but there was already a member that experienced door latch failure prior to my situation. Nonetheless, there seems that this site has too many people that don’t want to hear anything negative associated with the Fit.

Administrator, you may remove this thread.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 10-17-2010 at 08:53 PM.