2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Impatient!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Impatient!!

Hi I'm new here (...clearly)

I just signed the papers for my brand new 2010 black Sport last Friday!

The dealership told me it should take a week and then a day or two to prep and spray the rust protectant. But now they are giving me an ETA of somewhere between the 20th-28th of the month! I'm so anxious to get my car that I'm about to pull out my hair.

What sucks worse than waiting is that I was supposed to take a road trip starting next Wednesday and I really hoped to have my car in time and now I have to postpone it because I'm afraid my old car (2000 Mazda Protege) might not make it. I have bad luck with road trips and the timing belt on the old car is going to go sooner rather than later and it's my luck that it would crap out in the middle of the highway in Massachusetts :P

I really hope I don't have to wait until the 28th... Is 21 days a normal wait time? I talked to the sales rep. yesterday and he said that because I want it in black that is making it take that much longer because it's "in demand"

I'm SO impatient! I WANT MY FIT!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
all 2010 fits are rare. Depending on color and options, i can def. see waiting that long.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I guess there are some advantages to being near a big metro area and Port of Entry city. I emailed the salesman what I wanted at 9AM and he had the car sent up from San Diego (over 100 miles) for me to take delivery at 5PM the same day.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm in Toronto, and I'm not sure how long it normally takes in this area.

It's an automatic Fit Sport. I didn't add any options on above what comes standard on the Sport. They're throwing in all season floor mats for me and that's about it.

My husband was like "why don't we just get it in white or something if it will take less time?" Umm, I'm not going to buy a car in a color I don't want because it will get here faster :/ ha.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
nikita that is usually unheard of. He must have reallywanted that sale.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
This is my first new car ever. My dad says I got "taken" because I paid $1000 less than sticker. Apparently I am no good at haggling. Maybe if I paid cash I could have demanded some kind of super fast delivery

Last edited by charmedimsure; 05-13-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Tell me you didn't pay extra for the dealers "rust protection". That stuff is usually snake oil. The only real protection that works is stuff like Krown, where they spray into the body panels, and it's done annually, of course with a proper washing and waxing regimen. No, I don't work for Krown, I'm just speaking from experience in using they're service, with a 12 year old rust free Acura, and my last car, '94 Civic that was rust free, I sold 3 years ago.

My buddy works as a service adviser at a Honda dealer, and he won't even get the dealer stuff, because he knows it's crap and useless.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
^ really?? It's a spray they do under the car and they guarantee no rust. We had the option of doing it once a year for 10 years, or every two years for as long as we own the car. It cost us $450 and we picked the once a year for 10 years.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by charmedimsure
This is my first new car ever. My dad says I got "taken" because I paid $1000 less than sticker. Apparently I am no good at haggling. Maybe if I paid cash I could have demanded some kind of super fast delivery
Absent funky hidden incentives, 1000 under sticker isn't bad. There's not a lot of difference between sticker and total dealer cost. That said, yes you got taken if you paid for "rust proofing".

Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Interesting.

Well, the rust proofing was an afterthought that is not on our contract. We told the finance person that talked to us about it that we wanted to check into how much insurance was going to be before we decided on the rust proofing... I am wondering if I could call her and ask to have it removed. It's not like the car has come in yet, so it hasn't been sprayed or paid for.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
HA.

I just talked to my husband and since it is listed as "declined" on the contract, he said I should just call back and say that we have changed our mind on adding it on. So I just called. The person I need to speak to isn't in the office, so I left her a voicemail telling her that it was my mistake telling her to do it since I hadn't talked to my husband (who is the one who actually signed the contract) first.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
^ really?? It's a spray they do under the car and they guarantee no rust. We had the option of doing it once a year for 10 years, or every two years for as long as we own the car. It cost us $450 and we picked the once a year for 10 years.

All that is, is an undercoating. Read the fine print on that warranty. I'll bet it will not cover any area where the undercoat wears off from normal driving exposure, or some such language. Plus, look under any car made in the last 20 years. When was the last time you saw one where the underside is severely rusting out(assuming it's not been in a serious accident)? Considering the underside of the car is what sees the most abuse from the elements,you can bet manufacturers already make the underside pretty rust resistant right from the factory.

The "finance people's" job, when you go into that little office to "finish" off the deal, is to sell you as many extras(undercoat, scotchguard, extended warranty, etc) as possible to pad the dealers' profit. That's where a dealer make their real money, next to servicing.

I'd say save a few bucks and say no to the undercoat. But that's just me.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM
In addition, the default honda rust warranty is 5 years. Regular washing to remove the excess salts is probably more cost effective. Or if you do want the rust proofing, look at the cost at a body shop.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
congrats on your pending new arrival. charmedyouwillbe
I know folks in Toronto who DO get the rust proofing.
One is a mechanical engineer who owns a Porsche a Corvette and a race car.
Note he does not rustproof the above but does his Tahoe and Caddy.
It is like a thick oil he says, needs to be reapplied yearly, I do not think we have it in the states

Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
My dad says I got "taken" because I paid $1000 less than sticker.
That's bogus. Many Fits, like yours, are selling before they even hit the lot. Where is the incentive for a dealer to lower the price?

Even something widely available like a Civic doesn't have the same negotiating room as most American or Korean cars, which is perhaps what your dad is used to.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by mhrivnak
That's bogus. Many Fits, like yours, are selling before they even hit the lot. Where is the incentive for a dealer to lower the price?

Even something widely available like a Civic doesn't have the same negotiating room as most American or Korean cars, which is perhaps what your dad is used to.
Yeah. My dad always drove GM cars up until a few years ago when he bought a Hyundai Sonata. So you're right: American and Korean. Plus, he always pays cash which I am sure provides a little more leverage in negotiating. I wasn't really prepared to haggle when I bought my Fit, it was really hard to hide how bad I wanted it! And I had to finance because I am teh poor.

Thanks to everyone for information on the rust proofing. I left her a voicemail and had my husband send an email. I am hoping it won't be an issue to remove it since it wasn't on the contract he signed anyway.

I don't think I can wait any longer for my car! I keep looking in these forums at all the pictures and I am seething with jealousy

Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think I can wait any longer for my car! I keep looking in these forums at all the pictures and I am seething with jealousy
You and me, both!

If I didn't have to keep some money saved up for a trip in a few months, I'd have already gone to the dealer by now. Instead, I have to wait for my trip to be over, so I know how much money I have left to put on the car and how much I need in a loan.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moniz

I'd say save a few bucks and say no to the undercoat. But that's just me.
I agree...I have an 18 year old Integra and it's rust free! Proper maintenance will take care of any rust issues...the money is better spent on something else.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
I'm also waiting for my Fit. I saw the report at the dealership showing that it was due to be built April 8th. I came in on April 9th and placed a Reserve deposit on it. It was just assigned a VIN number last week and I'm supposed to get a call when the dealership sees it on the Bill of Lading for the ship coming up from Seattle or whatever port it will leave from. I can't wait to get it, but it won't be here until the beginning of June sometime. I'm glad I don't chew my fingernails.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Not going to comment on the snake oil - just keep the ride clean and don't obsess over it - HONDA is a quality car.

I was told my car wasn't due in the dealer for six weeks when I bought mine. I really don't think they can sell you one without a VIN, least I wouldn't put money down without one. Anyway I kept a weekly contact with my sales person and it did make it to the EastCoast early. Fact is they can trace the location of the vehicle in the HONDA network - question remains if your dealer is willing to do so. K_C_

Quick Reply: Impatient!!