2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Messed up my exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Messed up my exhaust...

Just want to warn you guys...

I recently changed my exhaust for something that looked nice and might improve the sound. The removed the catalytic converter and cut it all up and used the original pipe to attach it to the new exhaust. Turned out it was a bad mistake. The new exhaust was scrubbing against my springs when my car was under load (3 people was enough). I only found out about this 3 days after I changed the exhaust.

I took it back to the garage where I did it and they changed it back to the original one. They showed me the pipe of the new exhaust and it was full of scratches after just one day of driving. I had to pay 40% of the price of their exhaust for all of this. Jerks couldn't do a proper job and then I'd have to pay them back too. Now my 2010 honda jazz is full of scars.

I should have never done this. I should have just gone for the finish. The cut up a perfectly new original catback, put all the pieces back together and welded it. I regret it and when I look back I think it was totally unnecessary to do it. I do believe the performance and fuel economy increased with the deletion of the catback but it made my car kind of ricey and you know its just not good for the environment (hey! i want to grow old in a clean world! hate the game, not the player).

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not even sure how doing a cat-delete would've looked nice, since no one would see it during normal driving.

Swapping out the muffler, which is supposed to be simpler probably would've also change the the sound too.

I want to feel sorry for you, but all I can really think of is, neither you or the garage you went to had any business doing this. I say this because you played the environmental card AFTER you were forced to change the exhaust a second time.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

I want to feel sorry for you, but all I can really think of is, neither you or the garage you went to had any business doing this. I say this because you played the environmental card AFTER you were forced to change the exhaust a second time.
exactly!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
No you are wrong. I didn't play the environmental card after the damage was done. I had no idea what he was going to do in the first place until he removed the catback. After that I wanted to see if it was worth it but I was always driving with guilt and asking myself so... did I do the right thing?

That is the truth. Ok if its proven that fuel economy and performance increase with the deletion of the catback then I would consider again and outweigh the disadvantages/advantages. Now I was extra motivated to change back because of the scrubbing under load

Honestly I simply did not know.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
A cat delete for many cars provide a performance increase. I'm not sure it's the same for fuel economy, though I suppse it's likely.

But to actually make use of it, you also have to do other modifications, a few of which are new intake including the header and more directly, a modified exhaust manifold. These are things that go together with making use of a cat delete.

From this point forward, don't let people do anything you don't know about. If they say you HAVE TO, then do some research to verify.

For myself, the only thing I would probably do in terms of performance is the DIY SRI. My other mods are mostly cosmetic (headlight, tail light, door visor, which is just an add-on). I don't intend on modifying the intake or exhaust any more than that. My reason is that it just isn't that practical for me to do so (I won't be pushing the car hard enough to make use of it). The DIY SRI is just for fun with the option of swapping it back to stock easily.