2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motortrend calls it Fit is #1 even to the Fiesta

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Motortrend calls it Fit is #1 even to the Fiesta

2011 Ford Fiesta SES vs 2010 Honda Fit Sport vs 2010 Toyota Yaris vs 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL Comparison - Motor Trend

"But if its telepathy is working during normal driving, the Fiesta may get a migraine. Our example shifted uncertainly and sometimes inappropriately. Ford's response was that it was a preproduction unit not completely to production spec. That's probably so, but until we have a chance to resample this innovative transmission, Nissan's CVT is our top-cog dog of the two newfangled trannies here."

"Resolutely, the Fit defies its measured performance deficiencies with subjective real-world handling that's kart-like enough to make it the offering here voted most constantly entertaining. As opposed to the Fiesta's peek-a-boo outward vision, the Fit's windows provide a fishbowl view. The Sport version offers paddle shifters to play Sebastian Vettel with (though you'll likely do so only once). And then there's the interior.

First Place: Despite hitting road bumps with interior noise and ride quality problems, the Fit is an unbeatable combination of driving fun and interior packaging.

If any car company has acquired the original Mini's mantel of space-efficiency fanaticism, it's Honda. The maker has been pondering every automotive nook and cranny for some time now (I have evidence in an old '87 Civic Wagon), and the Fit is its latest manifesto on the subject. The architectural keystone that makes all the difference is its relocation of the fuel tank from beneath the rear seat to under the front. And from here proceeds a ripple effect of packaging opportunities of which Honda has taken full advantage, resulting in a cargo floor that's nearly flat with the rear seat folded and the unusual flip-up "magic seat," that provides room for tall objects.
And in the end, a winning checklist in this category necessarily needs the box labeled "insane space efficiency" boldly X'ed -- and the Fit is about as space crazy as they get.

Unfortunately, that's just the box that Ford's solidly built, nice-driving-but style-over-practicality Fiesta has chosen to leave empty."

Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
fit> fiesta

i was reading the latest motor trend and it did a article on the fiesta, not digging how it looks and what not but the microsoft sync seems dope.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Bummer they don't have their observed MPG for the Fiesta in the specs/performance sheet at the end of the article. Is this because Ford won't let them publish that on a pre-production model?

And the Fit got 35.4 for the test! Is that the first time a car magazine has achieved better than EPA ratings for one of their tests?

I had high hopes for the Fiesta, and it looks like as a driver, it excels well. But gosh, couldn't they have figured out how to actually make it more practical space-wise?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
I think that even regardless of the reviews, the Fit and Versa will still win-out with sales. It's America - we're obsessed with space.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by huisj
Bummer they don't have their observed MPG for the Fiesta in the specs/performance sheet at the end of the article. Is this because Ford won't let them publish that on a pre-production model?

And the Fit got 35.4 for the test! Is that the first time a car magazine has achieved better than EPA ratings for one of their tests?
I bet you Ford told them not to. I have a feeling in the real world people won't be getting 40mpg.
I might even call it now their might even be some lawsuits just like when Mazda (Ford) lied about the RX-8 hp #'s and how people don't get the EPA rating of the Mazda 3.
I rather blow our epa 33-35 mph out of the water than get less than the epa rating. That's how riots start...lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Never really in question to me.

I think The Fiesta is going to be a real class competitor for The Fit. It's a very good and superior in some ways, automobile.

But The Fiesta, without the Magic Seats and the outward visibility of The Fit..has to be a second place finisher.

If great utility isn't a factor? Then I think The Fiesta should be on anyone's list. But if you value cargo compatibility and want gas mileage and sporty handling...The Fit still is #1.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
I considered waiting for the Fiesta to come out, but when I read a review that said the Fit had better cargo space that was what did it for me.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I would definitely consider it if it had useable cargo space. To me, that's the whole point of buying a hatchback in the first place. That and the styling is a little off. I mean, the Fit is no looker by any means, but I can't get over the fish mouth of the Fiesta.

I like the dash qualities, but not the cell phone inspired layout. Most reviews also claim the Fiesta is slower than the Fit for 0-60 time. This was the first I've seen that said otherwise. Either way, neither are fast. The Fit is ample enough for what I need.

Definitely a competitor in many respects, but the lack of practical usage though is what did it for me.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Niice. The fit is win.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Considering the old Focus hatch had an 18.5 cu ft cargo volume, the Fit might even beat out Ford's new offering. I really didn't know how the numbers stacked up to other cars. I just knew it looked like it could hold a lot of stuff. Turns out, it holds more than a Golf too.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by oDDicAL
I would definitely consider it if it had useable cargo space. To me, that's the whole point of buying a hatchback in the first place.
snip
Definitely a competitor in many respects, but the lack of practical usage though is what did it for me.
Fiesta
Cargo Volume Behind First Row [cu. ft.] 26

Fit
Cargo Volume (cu ft, seat up/down) 20.6 / 57.3

That to me is why the fiesta is a loser. The fit's regular trunk holds 80% of what the fiesta does with the seats down. Also, the Fit's space is relatively square, whereas with that sloping roofline, there's no way the Fiesta is going to be as easy to load.

I'd expect the fiesta to sell well domestically because people want to buy american, though why a Euro car built in Mexico counts as American, I don't know.

Edit:
Looking at Ford's online videos for the fiesta, they claim ~40 ft^3 cargo space with seats down. That's a bit better, though only about 60% of the Fit.

Last edited by malraux; 06-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Next challenger, please.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
It does not surprise me they found the Fit better; anybody who gets a chance to see the Fiesta and Honda up close will isntantly recognize how much better the Fit is.... I had a chance to do so myself at the international car show when it was here; the Fiesta feels cheap and crappy when compared to the Fit.

I was really dissapointed with Ford, I thought they were going to put out a much more competitive product.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Just as a reference here is a good profile pic of the two.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
When Motor Trend speaks it is gospel.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Interesting... this is the first review I've seen where they don't look at them as pocket-sized sport sedans (the "Hot-Hatch" segment) and look at them as overall daily-drivers.

Most of the reviews from the UK have heaped accolades on the Jazz for it's usability, but have dismissed it for not being a terribly engaging drive... For example:

"So what's this paragon of virtues like to drive? The seats are comfortable. It has a snicky, neat and positive gearshift. There are useful trays, cubbies and cupholders everywhere to hold all your bits and pieces. The steering is light without being too light. The ride is a bit stiff. The gearing is a tad short for the motorway. And the handling is, to use a weaselly word, 'assured'. Just don't expect bagfuls of fun"
- HonestJohn

"Everything about the Jazz is easy to use and well thought out, both statically and on the road. It is an effortless car to drive, but now, thanks to some significant tweaks to the car's suspension, it is far more competent when cornering and feels solid at speed too. Ultimately though, this isn't a car that has been designed to throw around, and it shows; it is lacking the dynamism of others in its class.
It's a different breed of supermini to the Fiesta, Corsa and Seat Ibiza, being closer to a mini MPV design instead. So if you're after a car that offers lots of versatility and refinement, the Jazz will certainly please. The only small niggles against the new Jazz are that it is a little pricy compared to conventional super minis and it really could benefit from the option of a diesel engine."
- The Verdict on Cars

"The Jazz values practicality above all else. As a result, it is the most versatile car money can buy. Improvements to the rear seat design weren’t needed, while the new dash offers a more upmarket feel. The only drawbacks are that the styling hasn’t moved with the times and the driving experience is bettered by one of the sharpest-handling new cars of the year.
In the end, the Fiesta earns victory with its unbeatable range of talents. True, in terms of cabin flexibility, the Ford is embarrassed by the Honda. But in every other way, the blue oval car is superior. Let’s hope the company’s next-generation Fusion builds on these qualities and uses the Jazz as a template for practicality."
- AutoExpress

"Honda’s Jazz has always appealed to old people, offering up lots of easy-to-use interior space. But now Ford has a funky Fiesta, so can an all-new Jazz offer anything more than practicality and versatility?"
(In video: )
"Now, we said the Honda Jazz was practical. I'm 6'5 and I fit! Now, it isnt as good as driving the new Ford Fiesta, but it is more spacious, more practical, packaged better, everything Jazz customers would want. Now, young people might not like it, but old folks will love it."
- CarMagazine Video Review

It's interesting because it shows the difference between the European perspective on superminis (and cars in general) and the American view. For Americans who are likely downsizing, knowing that they can still hold all their crap is a top concern... Americans living in flyover country aren't going to care if the Fiesta is a more engaging drive (and I'm curious if Ford toned down its famous sporty feel to appeal to the American public) as they drive perfectly straight roads laid on the borders of Homestead Act plots. Note that they tested the Automatic/automatic-like transmission in each car... this isn't a review aimed at enthusiasts.

As an aside, it's quite telling that the Honda Accord, regarded across the pond as a bit of an old person's car, has its place taken in the US by an even larger, bulkier, softer car that is regarded as a mainstream sedan, and the Euro spec Accord gets repackaged as a Sports sedan!

Having not been spoiled on the joy of plentiful, fun-packed European hatches crowding the market, I'm perfectly happy with a "car that isn't designed to be thrown around," and especially one that will (like a Good American) hold my crap.

Very cool overall! Thanks for posting.!

Last edited by Occam; 06-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'm actually kinda surprised...

A number of review sites have been touting the Fiesta as a "Fit-kiler"... okay, not in those exact words, but they were thinking the Fiesta could be #1 in the class.

I admit, it was something I was hoping would happen, that the Fiesta didn't live up to expectations. But, like I said, didn't actually expect it to happen like this.

But, they did mention it's a "pre-production" model... so it could end up a little better. On the flip side... the Fiesta has been out in Europe for a while, so, how much could've changed in porting here?

Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'm actually kinda surprised...

A number of review sites have been touting the Fiesta as a "Fit-kiler"... okay, not in those exact words, but they were thinking the Fiesta could be #1 in the class.

I admit, it was something I was hoping would happen, that the Fiesta didn't live up to expectations. But, like I said, didn't actually expect it to happen like this.

But, they did mention it's a "pre-production" model... so it could end up a little better. On the flip side... the Fiesta has been out in Europe for a while, so, how much could've changed in porting here?

It's too late for them to be changing anything. The model MT tested is going to be the final product. It's suppose to be at dealers soon. July-Aug based on the what Ford dealers have been talking online.

http://www.fordfiestaforum.com/index...-release-date/

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't doubt that the fit and finish are worse... I love the way Mazdas drive (this being a reskinned Mazda2) but their build quality leaves much to be desired, IMHO.

As far as the styling on the Versa... Is it just me, or are all Nissans beginning to look very French? The Versa, Sentra, and Altima look right at home with the Clio, Megane, and Laguna? Yes, I know why ;-)

(I have a thing for French cars, by the way... The Citroën DS is perhaps my favorite car of all time.)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
My biggest hope for the Fiesta is that it goads Honda to offer a 6-speed dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters for the Fit. I normally keep a car until the wheels fall off, but that package could tempt me to trade my 2009 Fit Sport for a newer model. They already offer a DCT for the new VFR motorcycle, so we know that Honda knows how to build one.

Quick Reply: Motortrend calls it Fit is #1 even to the Fiesta