2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone iOS 4 and Fit Connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
iPhone iOS 4 and Fit Connectivity

Gents,
I updated my iPhone 3GS to the new iOS 4 on Monday night. Yesterday morning, I got into my car and plugged my iPhone into my Belkin iPod cable. Instead of getting the old "Do you want to operate in Airplane Mode" yada, yada, yada, I got a prompt on both the iPhone and the FIt's display that said "Unsupported."

This morning, I figured I'd try a spare Apple cable that came with one of my iPod Touches (have 1 for each kid so they'll leave my phone alone). It flashes the same message. I noticed that it WILL charge the iPhone, still. It just won't connect. So I'm wondering if this is a cable issue or if this is something related to the head unit that Honda's going to have to deal with?

No, I didn't specifically grab my Apple iPhone cable to try, but I am under the impression that there's no difference in the Apple-supplied cables between the iPods and iPhones other than the a/c adapter that's supplied with the iPhone's cable. I will try again tonight with one of those for good measure.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Ok evidently this is happening to a lot of folks and it's not just Hondas. Here's a link to Apple's support forum:

Apple - Support - Discussions - iOs4 upgrade, Now car stereo doesnt ...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
And supposedly, as I see on page 6 or 7 of the thread, a hard reset might fix the issue?

edit: yep, just hard reset the iPhone and it works just as before. Well, at least I can be a warning to others, lol.

Last edited by bkrell; 06-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
mine worked w/out a problem

Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
i just updated to iOS4 this morning and had the same issue.

mine worked only after i turned off my iPhone 3GS (hold the silver button on the upper right corner for a few seconds).

i do this also everytime the radio doesn't recognize my iPhone once in a while (usually after i change something like add songs, etc...i can't pinpoint when this happens exactly)

Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
My 09 Navi did not initially recognize my updated phone, but after I rebooted my 3GS with the cable connected, it did, and has worked fine ever since.

Last edited by BobsUrUncle; 06-25-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
and this is the reason i wont update any of my apple stuff. cause once you do all goes wrong. my i tunes asks for an update every time i turn it on and i refuse every time. i'm afraid it will not work in the car if i update it. so i just don't.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
i plugged in my new iPhone 4 (whooo!!) this morning and the fit had no problems with it. In fact... I can open up pandora now and it pauses the ipod and plays pandora through the usb port now!!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
i plugged in my new iPhone 4 (whooo!!) this morning and the fit had no problems with it. In fact... I can open up pandora now and it pauses the ipod and plays pandora through the usb port now!!
lol it did this with 3.12 also. good news that a reboot works, my commutes had gotten boring. I'll try the method tomorrow

Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
It's always done this. Start the 3rd party app, and the iPod portion stops. Stitcher sometimes would fight with the iPod app, but you can always bring up the voice command prompt and cancel to kill the iPod output.

I won't upgrade until I know that Spirit's jailbreak is good for iOS 4 with untethered boot.

Haven't updated my OS on the phone since it was jailbroken... I really don't want to have to reinstall all of my Cydia apps. Unless i see a real benefit to upgrading, I'll just ride out my jailbroken 3GS until my contract expires and I can jump to a Droid on Verizon.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
and this is the reason i wont update any of my apple stuff. cause once you do all goes wrong. my i tunes asks for an update every time i turn it on and i refuse every time. i'm afraid it will not work in the car if i update it. so i just don't.
You really should update the OS. OS4 is allows multitasking, which is amazing. It will work with your fit. I have the 09 Sport w/o Navi, and after a hard reset, it works perfectly.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Followed the tip as mention above (connect iPhone to radio; turn off and on iPhone) and it's now working. Thanks folks!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by blazej
You really should update the OS. OS4 is allows multitasking, which is amazing. It will work with your fit. I have the 09 Sport w/o Navi, and after a hard reset, it works perfectly.
How does the multitasking compare to using proswitcher.

Thats the catch with this. I got tired of waiting for multitasking (I had a blackberry before, and was shocked to find out that this device was incapable of basic backgrounding), so I went and and took the leap to the dark side. now, there are too many apps that I don't want to lose.

- Proswitcher - double-tap the "home" button and I can sweep left and right through running apps. i can also configure which apps stay active by default, and which ones close by default.
For those using IOS 4 - how is the multitasking? I read that it doesn't work for all apps, just those written for IOS 4.
- SB Settings - Lets me use a right to left swipe across the top edge of the screen to bring up quick and easy toggles rather than wading through menus.
- Lock Calendar - Keeps a quick to-do list on my lock screen so I am reminded of upcoming appointments.
- NoAccessorySplash - keeps the phone from displaying that "Accessory Connected" screen in place of the iPod controls when connected to the gawdawful interface in the Fit.
- Winterboard - Allows much greater customization of the interface.

And that's before delving into some of the more powerful apps on Cydia/Rock.

Is there any reason to upgrade to IOS 4 and lose all this stuff? Seems far better to wait until Spirit's new jailbreak comes out.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
My 3GS worked great in the fit.I could pick songs through the head unit, or pick a song on the phone then plug it in and go.

On my iphone4 if I pick a song on the phone before plugging in, it will change to a random song when it's plugged in. In need to try resetting it I guess.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
How does the multitasking compare to using proswitcher.

Thats the catch with this. I got tired of waiting for multitasking (I had a blackberry before, and was shocked to find out that this device was incapable of basic backgrounding), so I went and and took the leap to the dark side. now, there are too many apps that I don't want to lose.

- Proswitcher - double-tap the "home" button and I can sweep left and right through running apps. i can also configure which apps stay active by default, and which ones close by default.
For those using IOS 4 - how is the multitasking? I read that it doesn't work for all apps, just those written for IOS 4.
- SB Settings - Lets me use a right to left swipe across the top edge of the screen to bring up quick and easy toggles rather than wading through menus.
- Lock Calendar - Keeps a quick to-do list on my lock screen so I am reminded of upcoming appointments.
- NoAccessorySplash - keeps the phone from displaying that "Accessory Connected" screen in place of the iPod controls when connected to the gawdawful interface in the Fit.
- Winterboard - Allows much greater customization of the interface.

And that's before delving into some of the more powerful apps on Cydia/Rock.

Is there any reason to upgrade to IOS 4 and lose all this stuff? Seems far better to wait until Spirit's new jailbreak comes out.
ok. having tried both pro-switcher on 3.1.3 and iOS4 jailbroken with redsn0w on my slow 3G(non-S) phone, iOS4's multi-tasking is SO much more stable. and i can honestly say it's actually a bit zippier than 3.1.3. if you have the time to try it out, i think you may be pleasantly surprised.