2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test pipe / Cat swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Test pipe / Cat swap

Has anybody swapped out their cat for a performance cat?
also are there any test pipes for the ge8?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by TFREEfit
Has anybody swapped out their cat for a performance cat?
also are there any test pipes for the ge8?
53 views and no answers? someone helpp

Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Don't think anyone has swapped. WeaponR made a cat delete and downpipe. Aj-Racing said they were working on a high flow cat, but I haven't heard anything on it. And no, I do not know of any 'test' pipes. Just b-pipe from t1r and j's.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
1. Take out your cats
2. Drive your backup beater car and give it to a muffler shop and say "make me one of these, only (pointing to the cats) without these"
3. ???
4. Profit!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
You could probably do that on your own, just tear all the honey comb out of the cat, lol.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
True, but I would want to keep the stock cat in my basement for my first emissions test in 3 years. A muffler shop can make you a straight pipe with generic Honda flanges that will bolt right in from scratch. Probably under $100 too!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
True, true

Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Good ideas. I did think about taking off the cat and stripping it down but then again like you said i would definitely like to keep it aside for emissions test when i get my car inspected every year.. but that would be practical for me to take the cat and be like make me this with out all the bullshit. (not to mention like you said cheaper than buying a pre-fab pipe or performance cat.)
and the weaponr isnt that for the gd3?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Ironic that this was posted on a day that was a level RED "Unhealthy" air quality day for the metro DC area.

MWCOG.org - Air Quality Forecast

If you're gonna have something fabbed up, do it with a performance cat or wait for an aftermarket cat with flanges and all. Gutting a cat or going the test pipe route increases harmful pollutants which contribute to childhood asthma and other respiratory problems. Hardly worth it for a couple horsepower.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Muahahhaahhhaha

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Lyon, I'm surprised to see you giving advice on the test pipe route. It's not unlike the drop-in HID debate whereby someone's wanting to do some mod for their benefit but whose negative impacts are borne by everyone else.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
When the major corporations stop polluting, I'll worry about my exhaust system. For now though, anything I do is just a fraction of a drop in the bucket.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
When the major corporations stop polluting, I'll worry about my exhaust system. For now though, anything I do is just a fraction of a drop in the bucket.
and if everyone thought like that, we'd all be in a world of hurt...

Old 07-08-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
If you are old enough to have been a service station pump jockey before and during the transition from leaded to non leaded fuels you would wonder if maybe things were better before catalytic converters.... The exhaust fumes today will eat holes in natural fiber clothing because of it's sulfur dioxide content .... I never heard of acid rain before then and hardly ever heard about asthma like I do today.... Don't you ever wonder why there isn't a smiling guy walking out to wipe your windshield, check your tires and put fuel in your tank??? Why is it that the people that take your money when you pay for your gas indoors or sitting in an air conditioned booth??? I personally think that the toxicity of todays exhaust fumes are more toxic than before even without the lead... Someone has made billions off of platinum contracts for catalytic converters and the contract is about to expire.... So what metal will they use to poison us with next under the guise of it being good for us.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feared
and if everyone thought like that, we'd all be in a world of hurt...
And if everyone had your attitude of policing people on an internet forum instead of going into real action against pollution, we'd all be in a world of hurt.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I like the way this went. aha very amusing. The BP Oil Spill will cause more damage to the environment then if all honda fits ran without cats combined..

who lived in a pineapple under the sea? SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS, who died in the oil spill because of BP? SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.. i know im tacky but i had to post

Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you are old enough to have been a service station pump jockey before and during the transition from leaded to non leaded fuels you would wonder if maybe things were better before catalytic converters.... The exhaust fumes today will eat holes in natural fiber clothing because of it's sulfur dioxide content .... I never heard of acid rain before then and hardly ever heard about asthma like I do today.... Don't you ever wonder why there isn't a smiling guy walking out to wipe your windshield, check your tires and put fuel in your tank??? Why is it that the people that take your money when you pay for your gas indoors or sitting in an air conditioned booth??? I personally think that the toxicity of todays exhaust fumes are more toxic than before even without the lead... Someone has made billions off of platinum contracts for catalytic converters and the contract is about to expire.... So what metal will they use to poison us with next under the guise of it being good for us.
While acid rain has been known about for a long time, the term acid rain was coined in '72 with much of the studies coming in the 80's. That's why you didn't hear about it.

re: gas station attendants sitting inside... Today's society has become much more self service than it was in the 50's - 70's. Most stations had BOTH full service and self service islands for a long time and as more and more people frequented the self service pumps (to save a few cents a gallon), it wasn't worth it to pay an attendant. And of course now you can pay at the pump with a credit card. There's really no reason for an attendant to go out to the pumps any more unless it's to empty the trash can or fill the paper towels. Heck, now they even want you to check yourself out and sack your own at the grocery and hardware stores. It all comes down to reduced labor costs.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 PM
The problem with diverting attention to corporations is it's shirking one's own personal responsibility. By and large, you can't do anything about BP or anyone else's pollution. But you can about your own. And this isn't about going without heat or air conditioning or not eating meat or some other sacrifice. It's about not tampering with something that's doing its job and the removal of which gains you almost nothing.

And of course, it's also illegal.

But hey, who needs to follow the law or think about the larger society when you can place blame elsewhere to justify doing what you want.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I believe that the sulfur regulations in the oil industry are getting tighter here over the next few years. down to something like 15 PPM. and it used to be okay to have like 100 ppm. I don't have my source in front of me, but thats a rough guess.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
There was no such thing as acid rain or self service stations in Dallas before 1972 which was the year that lead free fuel and catalytic converters were introduced..... I was managing a service station at the time on Harry Hines Blvd.

Quick Reply: Test pipe / Cat swap