2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Big Brake Kit

Has anyone done any of the big brake kits that are available?
The poor brakes are a bit unsettling to me especially since there is plenty of room to have much bigger units in there.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM
What means poor brakes???

To seriously improve the street braking I think you would have to change over the rears to disks - however, others have more experience than I. Rear conversions get involved on a GE and costly.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Which brake kits are available? I haven't had much luck finding anything larger than stock.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
What means poor brakes???

To seriously improve the street braking I think you would have to change over the rears to disks - however, others have more experience than I. Rear conversions get involved on a GE and costly.
Actually... that's only part of improving.

Because of the weight and natural movement of the car when breaking... any improvement to the back needs to be accompanied by an improvement to the front. BUT, good brakes aren't going to do you a whole lot of good, without better tires too.

Having brakes lockup and ABS kick in isn't going to help.

I think the brakes in the Fit as is, are pretty good for stopping. My problem is, I rely completely on it (don't do engine brake), so I'm going to end up wearing mine out quicker than most (it also leaves a LOT of brake dust).

Going back to the earlier part of my post... let me give you an example.

1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder LE (2x4?)
automatic trans
disc in front
drums in back.

When I drive in rear wheel drive only mode, the back has a slightly higher tendency to lockup than in 4 wheel drive mode. I attribute this to engine braking. As I said, I don't do engine braking, because its a technique that's a little too complicated for me if I panic in a manual shift car. But, in an automatic, the car will do it naturally (though I suspect, the torque converter in the auto only allows a fraction of what a manual transmission could) when braking, unless you shift into neutral. In RWD, the engine puts whatever "braking" power it has into just the rear wheels... but in AWD/4WD, it spreads that same braking force into all the wheels. Extra brake force in just the rear wheels causes it to lock up in harder braking situations (you can feel it too, rears are locked, but fronts still roll). And this was absolutely crazy in light/powdered snow.

So, like I said, improving just the back might not be as beneficial by itself.

Last edited by Goobers; 08-02-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
The FIT is rated as 'needing' in the brake department when put up to other cars in it's class.

My thought is it's the rear drums that hold it back, s/b disks all around, like Honda seems to outfit their Fit in all the other markets, excluding NA.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
As light as the FIT could be... it has anemic braking prowess... sad to say

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Better tires and better brake compound does wonder for the stock setup. Granted I can't really speak for you guys over there as mine came with rear disks. When I was out on Nikko Circuit, the car's brakes were great, I was late-braking so deep into the corner that the staff at the circuit said it was "cool" watching my car as I was very agressive. Not once did I feel like the brakes were a limiting factor to improving time around small Nikko. Also, it was only 15 minutes time attack sessions, but as small as Nikko is, there are somewhat heavy braking points.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Agree with above...in descending order of importance

1. New tires
2. Better brake pads (unfortunately this will increase brake dust)
3. Lighter rims
4. Then consider SS brakelines, rear disc conversion, big brake kit on front

1-3 will dramatically improve braking, and probably obviate the need for further upgrades. I haven't had the ABS lock up on me yet...even during Autocross.

EDIT: I failed to answer the OP's question...Wilwood makes several kits and are probably the lights and most reasonably priced. Alternatively you can use ITR or DC5 fronts but these will likely add weight as well.

Last edited by blackndecker; 08-02-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Agree with above...in descending order of importance

1. New tires
2. Better brake pads (unfortunately this will increase brake dust)
3. Lighter rims
4. Then consider SS brakelines, rear disc conversion, big brake kit on front

1-3 will dramatically improve braking, and probably obviate the need for further upgrades. I haven't had the ABS lock up on me yet...even during Autocross.
Correct - it boils down to where the rubber meets the road. I'm not about to do a brake conversion, I accepted the Fit's documented braking before I bought it. Curious that other markets get 4 wheel disk's.

If I ever need to go with new pads I will most likely go ceramic, but to be honest I don't see that happening for many many miles. Way before that I see new treads to improve whatever the brakes may be lacking. FIT stops fine for me.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I should have clarified that I have only done #1 and 3 from the above list. So far haven't needed to upgrade pads. I'll have to though when I go Wilwood...but this will be mostly for weight reduction anyways.

I guess the US Fit gets skimped because of the added cost to import the fit as well as the poor exchange rate (we are paying Japanese workers in Yen to build our cars).

Last edited by blackndecker; 08-02-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by nickroz
Which brake kits are available? I haven't had much luck finding anything larger than stock.
good question, maybe these?
surely this thing shouldn't take more than 120 ft to stop, I'm sure some decent fronts would do the trick
Type One Racing :: Suspension & Brakes :: Fit/Jazz (GD3/4) :: T1R Racing 4 Big brake kit - Honda Fit 07-08 GD3
2009 Honda Fit Big Brake System Shot Photo 2

Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me like rather than poor brakes it is poor driving habits. Try taking your foot off the accelerator a little earlier rather than stomping on the brakes expecting miracles. You are driving on the streets not a race track where yes, more brakes would be nice.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Go to fastbrakes.com. They have all the things that you need. From wilwood big brakes to rear disc conversions for a very reasonable price.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Sounds to me like rather than poor brakes it is poor driving habits. Try taking your foot off the accelerator a little earlier rather than stomping on the brakes expecting miracles. You are driving on the streets not a race track where yes, more brakes would be nice.
always has to be someone adding non-constructive comments to pad their post count doesn't there?
I've got a 450 hp car for all that fun, this thing gets driven like the grandma and grandpa we are. Another 15 feet would do wonders in the occasional emergency situation if you need it.
IMHO, the meager production cost saving is a poor excuse by Honda to not equip a 'sport' level car with some decent brakes.

Thanks taFITta_sport and others for some good input.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I think Black3sr makes a good point, why bash him???

I just ran across this new thread:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-6-vs-4-a.html Some interesting points made on braking and the Fit.

K_C_

Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit's brakes easily activate "anti lock". How could after market brakes improve on this? Locking the wheel is as "good" as braking gets. More tire traction definately helps.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
wilwood at fastbrakes.com got a 10" rotor, 4 piston kit that saves 12lbs of unsprung weight per side.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
My Fit's brakes easily activate "anti lock". How could after market brakes improve on this? Locking the wheel is as "good" as braking gets. More tire traction definately helps.
As you are aware, your car's weakness is traction. When/if you upgrade your tires you will reveal the limitations of the brakes when driving spiritedly.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by beangrower
wilwood at fastbrakes.com got a 10" rotor, 4 piston kit that saves 12lbs of unsprung weight per side.
For the price and performance, I really don't understand why any other aftermarket brake is even considered.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by blackndecker
For the price and performance, I really don't understand why any other aftermarket brake is even considered.
I agree, looks like a great option

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I think Black3sr makes a good point, why bash him???

I just ran across this new thread:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-6-vs-4-a.html Some interesting points made on braking and the Fit.

K_C_
Sorry, I guess I was in a bash mood, it was the whole jumping to false conclusions that got me.
I'm sorry Black3sr

Last edited by mdr40z; 08-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kit