2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for tips on winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
1. disable that vsa crap in a snowstorm
2. go 50 mph
3. pull ebrake firmly
4. observe
5. control the slide
5a. Record actions
6. become one with the snow
7. regular driving becomes a non-challenge
7a. Join rally with most under powered car in class
8. become iritated by other drivers not power sliding in snow
9. beat your wife in frustration
10. ???
11. Profit!
ill take this 12 step program, please.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by anime2k3
I have a 2010 sport w/automatic. Being as the car is pretty low to the ground and I don't have a remote starter or an overdrive option, was wondering what some of you suggest for the coming winter months on the road.

What are your tips for driving through snow, icy roads?
How about dealing with frozen shut doors? I imagine it will happen.

Please post your comments for all to see. I’m sure there are a lot of people curious.
OP, I see you are in Brooklyn If winters in Brooklyn are anything like NJ, snow tires won't do all that much good because it snows, melts, then freezes to frozen slush or ice. In that neck of the woods, snow doesn't stay snow and snow tires are really only good... in snow. Here in VT, where the snow doesn't turn to Ice but only becomes Packed snow, snow tires are very helpful. there are months where you won't see any pavement but just smooth white roads and you can do 45 or 50mph with snow tires and no problems.

I'd make sure your fluids are good. Let the car warm up for a few minutes before getting in and definitely keep a cold weather kit in the car (blankets, cell phone, snacky food like granola bars, LED flashlight, small shovel, extra de-icing washer fluid, scraper, & Paper towels. I recommend a spray bottle with washer fluid for the headlights as well.)

Unless you will regularly be in an area such as upstate NY (finger lakes or North/west of Albany), there's no need to go with a block heater. If you want some extra "juice" for the car, install an audio "lighting Cap" (capacitor) which will give the engine the extra boost on ignition that it needs. (I had one in my integra and the orignal battery lasted me through 8 winters before I traded the car)

~SB

Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by clicq
If you have trouble starting off, you can throw the shifter into "S" mode, upshift to 2, and start off in second gear to limit the torque going to the wheels.
I think this is one of the best tips. No overdrive on this thing so that tidbit helps.

sorry bout the lone no posts guys, I rely on the boards auto email notification when there's a new post. seems to be a bit flakey

Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Growing up in South Dakota the only thing we did was keep a pint of Snowshoe Grog under the drivers seat. Although times have changed and YMMV.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I never belived in snow tires until last year. I had a 2000 honda civic si slammed, it would get stuck if it looked like it was going to snow. snow would build up inside the rota slipstream wheels, on the wheel arches and in the frnt grill. last year I got blizaks from the tire rack complete with steel rims, it drove great, not stuck once, never slid outa control, I was commuiting back and forth weekly from chicago to grand rapids and drove through some of the hairiest storms I have ever seen, the stuff where most of the cars you pass are in a dich upsidedown and on fire. The only thing I did not like about the tires was they handled soooo good they could make you cocky and if you didn't catch yourself you would slide.
I also carried a big ol' shovel, some kitty litter for traction a come a long with 50 feet of lead, blanket, MREs, hand powered radio change of cloths and extra water just in case I got stuck and had to stay for a while. I now have the fit and I am not even going to see if the stock tires suck I bought a new set of sno tires. I have also had luck spraying the plastic liners of the wheel arches with pam, so that sno doesn't stick and build up, I also wax the hell out of my door jams so they don't freeze shut. Hope some of this rambling info helped.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
always carry a butane lighter in your pocket to heat the key if you get locked out, just heat it up real good and stick it in the hole, wait and turn

Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Snow tires aren't necessary in NYC since it's plowed fairly well. Upstate, like where our Fit is out in the middle of farm/snow country, the Blizzaks are going on in a month or so. Miles of interstate are known to be unplowed for the first few inches while they decide if they need to spend the money on plowing/salting.

Find a large empty parking lot that hasn't been plowed, and go do donuts. Feel where the ABS kicks in, how hard the car is to understeer (easy), and how hard it is to get going again.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
does anyone recommend a specific ice scraper/brush? I never thought about this with my old car but I don't want to damage my pristine Blue Sensation Pearl paint on my Fit.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Atmos
does anyone recommend a specific ice scraper/brush? I never thought about this with my old car but I don't want to damage my pristine Blue Sensation Pearl paint on my Fit.
I use a Snobrum myself (Amazon.com: Sno Brum Original Snow Removal Tool With Telescoping Handle: Gateway). Works a lot better than a brush to get heavy, wet snow off the car, and it claims to not scratch... though it's pretty overpriced for what it is.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I use a Snobrum myself (Amazon.com: Sno Brum Original Snow Removal Tool With Telescoping Handle: Gateway). Works a lot better than a brush to get heavy, wet snow off the car, and it claims to not scratch... though it's pretty overpriced for what it is.
Thats not for heavy snow on the car. if you you just want to get it off the windshield and doors they sell telescoping scrapers with brushes built in. You can get them for around 12 dollars from most shops.

ie. Hopkins 2610XM Super Extender 52" Snowbroom
I never belived in snow tires until last year. I had a 2000 honda civic si slammed, it would get stuck if it looked like it was going to snow. snow would build up inside the rota slipstream wheels, on the wheel arches and in the frnt grill. last year I got blizaks from the tire rack complete with steel rims, it drove great, not stuck once, never slid outa control, I was commuiting back and forth weekly from chicago to grand rapids and drove through some of the hairiest storms I have ever seen, the stuff where most of the cars you pass are in a dich upsidedown and on fire. The only thing I did not like about the tires was they handled soooo good they could make you cocky and if you didn't catch yourself you would slide.

I also carried a big ol' shovel, some kitty litter for traction a come a long with 50 feet of lead, blanket, MREs, hand powered radio change of cloths and extra water just in case I got stuck and had to stay for a while. I now have the fit and I am not even going to see if the stock tires suck I bought a new set of sno tires. I have also had luck spraying the plastic liners of the wheel arches with pam, so that sno doesn't stick and build up, I also wax the hell out of my door jams so they don't freeze shut. Hope some of this rambling info helped.
no ramble at all. very good tips. The kitty litter thing is not a bad idea. I hear it helps traction when your a bit stuck. I went looking aroun online for thos tires and they list a couple different sizes on bridgestones website. what size did you get?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by anime2k3
Thats not for heavy snow on the car. if you you just want to get it off the windshield and doors they sell telescoping scrapers with brushes built in. You can get them for around 12 dollars from most shops.

ie. Hopkins 2610XM Super Extender 52" Snowbroom
I might have misunderstood your reply, but the Snobrum is certainly for heavy snow on the car -- you might be confusing it with a similar looking roof rake tool to get snow off roofs of houses. Most of the dealers here have a variant of it the Sno Brum that they use to get snow off the cars in the lot. I've used brushes before, and all the ones I've used just suck when you have a foot of wet snow or hard snow (like if you wait a day to get the snow off the car) on the roof because the bristles aren't stiff enough to push the snow out of the way (and if they were, do you want to be dragging that across your paint?).

Also, in a lot of places, you need to clear your entire car of snow, not just the windows. You could get fined in NJ for not clearing snow off the roof of your car (N.J. motorists must remove snow from their vehicles, law states | NJ.com), and I think NY is thinking about a similar law.

Anyway, I just bought a set of snow tires (Continental ExtremeWinterContact) mounted and balanced on steel rims, with TPMS and the reset tool, for about $850 shipped from Tire Rack. Of course, now that I'm ready, I bet we don't get any snow this year .

Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 PM
i had 185 60 r 14 on the si, on the fit I am running 195 60 r 15, can't wait for winter so i can go play!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
does anyone recommend a specific ice scraper/brush? I never thought about this with my old car but I don't want to damage my pristine Blue Sensation Pearl paint
There's something about the fit's windshield that makes ice/frost hang on like grim death. And it's big glass, to boot. Honestly, the best way is to let the defrost kick on high until it loosens up enough to scrape it. The first time you put a scraper to the windshield for the 'glue frost', you'll know. One thing to avoid- do NOT try and scrape the inside of the windshield. I was in a serious hurry one night last year and of all things, the inside was frosted over too. I tried scraping it to no avail, but I have a bunch of hair line scratches now. I can see them in certain sunlight and worst yet, the scratch lines frost over in a pattern that looks exactly like the entire winshield is cracked. It's the damnest thing to see when that happens. 99% of the time they are invisable. I also cleaned the glass real well this summer, so maybe I wiped them out. We'll see. But don't scrape the inside of the glass. Let the defroster do the work for both outer and inner. It'll cut into your mpg's a little, but it's really the only way to go. And mpg's go to shit in the winter anyway. A Fit warm up is usually needed in extreme cold.

For full snow removal form the car, I just use a broom and I'm careful to never go down to the paint. I clear enough and then use my arms and hands. The coats and gloves I wear don't scratch the paint and the car is small enough to get your arms around- almost literally!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 10-04-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Scraping technique

Thanks for the pointers! Here in Wisconsin those are kind of no-brainers. Never touch the inside of your window even if it's your sleeve of your jacket. Just get the wiper surface contact area clear and then blast the heat on windshield only when the car warms up.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM
My tip for winter driving is watch out for the other guy. Also - happens every time, no matter where you live - that first semi-bad storm is like everybody is learning for the first time.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
My tip for winter driving is watch out for the other guy. Also - happens every time, no matter where you live - that first semi-bad storm is like everybody is learning for the first time.
That is definitely the truth! People forget that you need to give more space to the car in front of you. Also, I am always alarmed at the people who think slamming on the breaks is a good idea!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I learned about the brake thing at a young age. One of the first things I learned come to think of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
OP- just get snow tires and drive like normal. there's really no trick involved if you have snow tires.

i suppose dont expect the people be hind you to brake as well as you do. hahaha. dont get rear-ended.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
OP- just get snow tires and drive like normal. there's really no trick involved if you have snow tires.

i suppose dont expect the people be hind you to brake as well as you do. hahaha. dont get rear-ended.
driving normal shouldn't be a problem but you know, i am concerned on the braking. The front pad rear drum setup, doesn't instill confidence in me for winter driving. Heck, The fit doesn't exactly stop on a dime.

I might have misunderstood your reply, but the Snobrum is certainly for heavy snow on the car -- you might be confusing it with a similar looking roof rake tool to get snow off roofs of houses.
Typo my friend. I was trying to state the telescoping scraper/brush I have should be just fine for removing a normal amount of the snow from the windshield and regular problem areas.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Michelin X-Ice XI 2

Originally Posted by M4psycho
Get a set of Nokian Hakka winter tires and you're set. Of course whenever there is snow, and moreso ice, on the road, you should be careful with your driving and drive slower and less aggressively...I think that should be pretty obvious.

According to Consumer Reports latests ratings, the best performing winter tires are the Michelin X-Ice XI 2. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 came in third place and were about $60 more expensive:

Quick Reply: Looking for tips on winter driving