2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

factory-tinted privacy glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
factory-tinted privacy glass

i'd like to install privacy glass for my rear windows. can anyone recommend a good place to order it? i don't want to use a film, i want the actual glass.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
that sounds expensive. try your local dealer?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
i think if it came down to it, i'd be better off going to a glass shop as opposed to the stealership. i was hoping that some of our guys here might know a cheaper source. btw, you're right. way more expensive than film, but also way better (especially for rottweiler owners or others with dogs who paw at windows).

Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Honda doesnt offer privacy glass for the fit. You have to use tint, as i dont think there is a aftermarket choice either.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM
yep, the dealers take the fits to get tinted.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cap
btw, you're right. way more expensive than film, but also way better (especially for rottweiler owners or others with dogs who paw at windows).
Once had a dog that pawed at the windows. Key word - 'once'.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
the fact that they don't make it would explain why i am having such a hard time finding any. oh well...

Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 PM
maybe a lifetime warranty on tint? have one on mine.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Honda doesnt offer privacy glass for the fit. You have to use tint, as i dont think there is a aftermarket choice either.
If someone were to take their side/rear windows out and take them down to the local "Glass and Mirror" they would come up with a tempered glass solution for real tinted glass windows! I've had so much glass cut and ordered I can't even remember all of the times.

Never had auto glass cut/finished, but it's only a form of tempered glass, and not as complex to cut to specs as a lot of other glass applications.

Take the rear window out and to a glass dealer. They'll come up with tinted glass solution... I'll guarantee it! Besides, auto glass is not that thick. You only get into serious money as the glass gets thicker.

If they try and ream you, tell them you'll go elsewhere... call their bluff.

I didn't want a film tint either. You've given me an idea... I may check it out!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
its because the honda fit is classified as a subcompact, the HRR's look so simular to the fit and yet they have that glass!!!! its because those cars are made on a truck frame so they technically are considered trucks... sucks bad... because they are sooo simular to our cars.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 PM
are you saying honda has a rule that they can't put tinted windows on a subcompact? And that there is also a rule saying truck chasis will have window tint?

So odd

Old 10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by annunC8
If someone were to take their side/rear windows out and take them down to the local "Glass and Mirror" they would come up with a tempered glass solution for real tinted glass windows! I've had so much glass cut and ordered I can't even remember all of the times.

Never had auto glass cut/finished, but it's only a form of tempered glass, and not as complex to cut to specs as a lot of other glass applications.

Take the rear window out and to a glass dealer. They'll come up with tinted glass solution... I'll guarantee it! Besides, auto glass is not that thick. You only get into serious money as the glass gets thicker.

If they try and ream you, tell them you'll go elsewhere... call their bluff.

I didn't want a film tint either. You've given me an idea... I may check it out!

The problem is auto glass is curved and is poured that way at the glass factory. The glass shop can cut flat glass, but there is no curved glass as it is made by the piece, and not in sheets.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
not to mention the challenge of embedding the defrost elemets in the glass.
strange that honda does not offer it. for my truck, a ford, i can buy aftermarket privacy glass anywhere.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
this thread is ridiculous. just get them tinted

Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
did you even bother to read any of the posts in this thread? if you did, you must have missed the part stating that film is not an option due to a large dog potentially scratching it off.

now please, either post something useful to the discussion or don't post at all. trolling posts on a honda fit forum is just plain lameness.

Last edited by Cap; 10-09-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
do or dont get them tinted. it isnt very expensive to get a pane redone if need be.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
and for the price of replacing the glass with privacy glass (if it were available for the fit) would be so ridiculously expensive you could get your windows tinted so many times before ever getting close to the price of privacy glass

Old 10-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Vash
its because the honda fit is classified as a subcompact, the HRR's look so simular to the fit and yet they have that glass!!!! its because those cars are made on a truck frame so they technically are considered trucks... sucks bad... because they are sooo simular to our cars.
It has nothing to do with the frame. They are built on car frames (same one as the Cobalt). The CR-V has stock privacy glass, and they are built on the Civic frame.

This all dates back to the original CAFE - note that the appearance of heavy passenger vehicles designed to loosely fit the definition of truck (SUVs, minivans) coincides with CAFE limiting the production of large station wagons.

Look up the specs on a Ford Country Squire, and compare them to a Ford Expedition. The Expo is heavier, but all cars are heavier now. Wheelbase, length, width, engine size, passenger capacity, all very similar.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dannydonqui
The problem is auto glass is curved and is poured that way at the glass factory. The glass shop can cut flat glass, but there is no curved glass as it is made by the piece, and not in sheets.
I hadn't really noticed whether the Fit (side) glass was curved or not. The glass in my SUV (side glass and rear window) is as flat as a pancake. Didn't consider the defrost elements in the rear window though.

Sorry for cluttering the thread with a useless post.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
It has nothing to do with the frame. They are built on car frames (same one as the Cobalt). The CR-V has stock privacy glass, and they are built on the Civic frame.

This all dates back to the original CAFE - note that the appearance of heavy passenger vehicles designed to loosely fit the definition of truck (SUVs, minivans) coincides with CAFE limiting the production of large station wagons.

Look up the specs on a Ford Country Squire, and compare them to a Ford Expedition. The Expo is heavier, but all cars are heavier now. Wheelbase, length, width, engine size, passenger capacity, all very similar.

ahhhh i guess your right, because they consider the Honda Ridgeline like the same thing.. and the Honda Element, and yet they got the privacy glass

Quick Reply: factory-tinted privacy glass