2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GE8 and the Wink mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
GE8 and the Wink mirror

went on a cruise with a bunch of people yesterday. seen an RSX with a 5panel wink mirror, and i want one. amazon.com, 20 bucks. sweet. search the site, and realize that you can't bolt it to the visors on a GE? WTF? is this really true? the ge's on the site that i was able to find, had to use the window mount kit, and stick it to the windshield. i'm not mounting it to my windshield. i'm pissed. i couldn't wait to get home today and order one, and mount this, but i guess i got my hopes up.

thoughts and ideas? if someone has it mounted by the visors, please let me know. i really want one. they look killer.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
what do you mean mount by the visors? of course you can. drill holes through your headliner into the sheet metal. or you can do the window mount.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM
If you're willing to wait a week or so, the custom JDP side mirrors will have optional "winkers"....LOL.

Something similar to this:

Imagine a thin strip of LEDs across the front embedded b/w the CF:
Name:  CF1.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
what do you mean mount by the visors? of course you can. drill holes through your headliner into the sheet metal. or you can do the window mount.
Wait...drilling into the headliner and sheet metal...what mirrors are you guys talking about

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Wait...drilling into the headliner and sheet metal...what mirrors are you guys talking about
I'm wondering the same thing.

The op started with wink mirrors and I thought he/she was talking about the side mirrors. The the visors was mentioned... lost me there.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'm wondering the same thing.

The op started with wink mirrors and I thought he/she was talking about the side mirrors. The the visors was mentioned... lost me there.
with you guys on this one. Not sure where the visor is involved unless it is a separate topic. The only thing I can think of is if the mirrors were to be mounted high, up along the a-pillar like on some low cars.

~SB

Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
hey guys, sorry for the confusion...lol. this is what i'm talking about. reading on here, they don't line up with the visors. wondering if anyone has come up with anything other than windshield mounting.

wink mirror - Google Search

Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
ahhh now I see.

I couldn't live without my visors and that (for me) would get annoying.

I think most of us were confusing the Wink Mirrors with side mirrors with "Winkers". couldn't figure out why the side "visors" that go over the door wouldn't work...

all is clear now.
~SB

Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
If you're willing to wait a week or so, the custom JDP side mirrors will have optional "winkers"....LOL.

Something similar to this:

Imagine a thin strip of LEDs across the front embedded b/w the CF:
wait, silly side mirrors? we are talking about the wink rally mirrors

Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sandblasted
hey guys, sorry for the confusion...lol. this is what i'm talking about. reading on here, they don't line up with the visors. wondering if anyone has come up with anything other than windshield mounting.

wink mirror - Google Search
We are on the same page, man. I had a wink mirror in my old car and i bolted it straight to the metal near the edge of the roof. but i dont see any problem with mounting it to the window. it mounts just like EVERY other mirror that is glued to the windshield, i dont see why you would ever have a problem with it. if anything, its better to mount it that way because you dont have to drill into your car's body, its 100% reversible

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
We are on the same page, man. I had a wink mirror in my old car and i bolted it straight to the metal near the edge of the roof. but i dont see any problem with mounting it to the window. it mounts just like EVERY other mirror that is glued to the windshield, i dont see why you would ever have a problem with it. if anything, its better to mount it that way because you dont have to drill into your car's body, its 100% reversible

well, the RSX i seen yesterday with one, had it bolted right to where the sun visors were. he removed his visors, and the wink mirror bolted right up to where the visors bolted up.

the GE doesn't have bolts holding the visors up. its a plastic piece that the visor turns and snaps into.

the couple of guys that have the wink mirrors on here(that i was able to search) said that it moved alot when mounted to the window. hit bumps and it falls down, and is a constant problem.

so the reason for this thread, is to see if anyone has come up with a way to mount it to the visor bracket, or come upwith an alternate idea. i'd like to not drill into my roof, but that may have to happen.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
from what i researched today, the mounts are just the same as stock rear view mirrors on most cars. with that metal piece "glued" to the windshield

Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Hey sandblasted, I didn't want to mount mine on the window either. Here is how I mounted mine on my GD3. Maybe you can take some ideas from this thread:
Wink Mirror Install... - Honda Fit Forums
Good luck,
-macbuddy-
BTW, both of my visors are still functional. My 5 panel Wink does no vibrate at all. I did not have to drill any extra holes (on my '07 GD3).

Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
its funny how new trends often refer back to old school.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
so, after all this fussing over will it fit or not, i decided to say fuck it, and order it anyways. i go to amazon.com, find one for 20 bucks. sweet. shipping is like 12 bucks. go to check out, they can't ship to canada. fuck. so i search, and do you think i can find a wink mirror in canada? holy....what a hassle. so, i contact the supplier directly, and they say they can ship to canada, they just don't through amazon due to some bullshit. so, now its 24bucks for shipping.

anyways, the mirrior is enroute. should have it by the end of the week, or beginning of next. i'll be posting pics of it, and the mounting. i won't be mounting it to my windshield. i will find a way to get it up on the visor mounts by jesus. lol. i smell another DIY from me. lol.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 AM
i need to sit in a car with a wink mirror and actually experience it cuz imo, its just another fad. I dont understand how it would help you see better? I mean, is the Fit windows not big enough to see out of? Ive got a Razo "wide view/broad way" clip on mirror and i can see perfectly fine. i dont understand why you would need to put in a school bus mirror in your car when you dont drive a school bus. but like i said, maybe i need to sit in a car with a wink mirror and experience it..;

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
i'm picking one up cuz i like the look of it. its something i've never seen around here, and well, i'm different. lol. ive never looked out of one either, and i might hate it, but i'll deal with that when the time comes. i can drive fine with the mirror i have now. this is, like i said, just something different to make people go lol

Old 10-14-2010, 10:58 PM
i installed my wink mirror on my GE to where my visors are..it was kinda a bitch to take the sun visors off but..eassssy to install the mirror.. the only problem is the screw fell through cause they are to small for the hole.. so i did some ghetto shit and used the screws and nuts from my skateboard and it fit fine!
the only thing is that it would shake so much and i couldn't get used to it so i returned it and got my 21 $ back!! HOLLLAH!!

soo id go with a Broadway instead of a wink mirror..
im just saying,,,

Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
so i got my wink mirror in the mail yesterday. took it out, and started to dry fit it into the car. its gonna take some thinking, and some fabracating to get it in where i want, and how i want. might wait til spring, might not....who knows....but i'm in the process of it, and will be taking pics along the way. i'll have a pic of the wink mirror up tonight.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
so its a bit later than "tonight" but here are the pics. its only the mirror, nothing exciting, just posting the process. lol. kinda pumped.

oh, and a short cameo by my 2 cats. the gray one is Bentley, and the muilti colour one is Boots.

Last edited by sandblasted; 10-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: GE8 and the Wink mirror