2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit or Fiesta?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM
@Crystal5MT: no kidding about canyon-carving! If you're constantly hammering the throttle and braking, you're doing it wrong! I hate to get on a backroad on my motorcycle and have some jackass ahead of me who flogs it on every straightaway (and, of course, passing zone), but finds it necessary to jab the brake on every turn. It's all about conservation of momentum. I don't take the Fit out on backroads all that often (if I'm going, I want to really enjoy it) but on the occasion that I do, it shines as a momentum car!

On a different note:
I really feel that the Fiesta is getting a bad rap on it's rear legroom. The rear lev space didn't seem that different with the front seat at the same point as the max rear travel of the Fit. The Fiesta gives you the option of pushing the seat back an extra couple of inches (which is reasonable since most subcompact buyers aren't looking for a frequent four-five passenger vehicle) if you need it. The complaints about it's tallish gears feeling sluggish despite it's higher fuel economy ratings are an exact mirror of the complaints about the loud, droning engine in the short-geared MT Fit show that for a mass market car, you're largely damned if you do(n't).

Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
@Crystal5MT: no kidding about canyon-carving! If you're constantly hammering the throttle and braking, you're doing it wrong! I hate to get on a backroad on my motorcycle and have some jackass ahead of me who flogs it on every straightaway (and, of course, passing zone), but finds it necessary to jab the brake on every turn. It's all about conservation of momentum. I don't take the Fit out on backroads all that often (if I'm going, I want to really enjoy it) but on the occasion that I do, it shines as a momentum car!

On a different note:
I really feel that the Fiesta is getting a bad rap on it's rear legroom. The rear lev space didn't seem that different with the front seat at the same point as the max rear travel of the Fit. The Fiesta gives you the option of pushing the seat back an extra couple of inches (which is reasonable since most subcompact buyers aren't looking for a frequent four-five passenger vehicle) if you need it. The complaints about it's tallish gears feeling sluggish despite it's higher fuel economy ratings are an exact mirror of the complaints about the loud, droning engine in the short-geared MT Fit show that for a mass market car, you're largely damned if you do(n't).
I completely agree! And the Fit's chassis makes it a blast in canyon driving. Every time I take it out there it changes personality. You really get the sense of the balanced chassis that you can't in urban driving. Such fun!

But I disagree with the rear seat legroom. I've sat in a few Fiestas, both hatch and sedan and as far as legroom, in the Fiesta my knees are pressed against the seatback. (front seat is positioned to my setting) And in the Fit, I have about 4" between my knees and the seatback.

What people have been complaining about on the Fiesta's gearing is that it's not close-ratio, at least not on the 5MT. Going from 1st to 2nd there's a big drop in rpms, creating lag and an upside down smile on my face, lol.

Last edited by CrystalFiveMT; 11-29-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by B-Blue
Well the new Focus is coming that will put it above the Fiesta and below the Fusion. The current N/A Focus is built on a 10+ year old chassis and has been cheapen so much over the years. Of course it's going to be cheaper then the all new Fiesta.
Ford seems to be moving the focus a bit more up in the ranks, kind of like the civic did with the current generation. The civic used to be the econo-box... now, that's the fit. Ford is now shoe-horning the fiesta in below the focus but in the opposite order of the Civic/Fit so there's going to be some overlap. Honda moved the Civic up a bit with the 2001+ and again a bit more with the 2006+ , then introduced the fit in the US for the '07 Model year to replace the hole left by the cheaper CX/DX Civics. Ford has introduced the Fiesta first, and will bump the Focus up into the next bracket afterwards.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 11-29-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: forgot the ~SB
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed lack of foot room in the Fiesta, and the cup holder on the door pressed into my leg. My friend said the same thing about the passenger side. I liked that I could option it up with nicer features tho.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by kgb4187
I noticed lack of foot room in the Fiesta, and the cup holder on the door pressed into my leg. My friend said the same thing about the passenger side. I liked that I could option it up with nicer features tho.
I didn't pay much attention to my left leg (I can't remember if I closed the door). I did notice that the console wasn't noticably against my right leg.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I checked out the Mazda2 and the Fiesta at the same dealer in Fremont. The Mazda seemed OK but, the dealer was packing on options, sunroof $1299, something else for $1299, way too much, did not even begin to want to deal. The Fiesta, I had to finish the assembly of the shifter trim piece. It was sticking up and made of that fake chrome plastic that looks bad in a year Just like a Ford. Which also had a bunch of extra's .The Fit is way better.. I can go off on the Toyota place too, almost 5 K for wheels? on $20K car?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I have always admired the Fit since I first saw it on the road. Now I need a car for work, but I seriously considered the Fiesta. My wife commented how popular and reliable the Fiesta has been in Europe where she's from.

Unfortunately, upon further research, it seems the US Fiesta is a little cheap, doesn't handle as well as it's European siblings, and made in Mexico, etc. My experience with the automobile industry is nil, so I'm not sure how much this latter point matters.

In the end, I went with the Fit. Being a ZipCar member and frequent renter, I have driven many different types of cars. I was really impressed with what the Fit offers and how it handles.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
I am in the market for a new car and am considering the Fit and the Fiesta. I have not yet driven the Fit, although I have sat in one. I have driven the Fiesta though and have some comments.

I did not like the driver ergonomics. The center console seemed confusing and somewhat cheap. Maybe it's just my history of a Honda Odyssey and a Saab 9-3. I also felt the road noise and tininess of the doors was obvious. It may be the same with the Fit, but the engine seemed to be really straining when I stepped on it.

JB

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Fiesta = Made in Mexico
FIT = Made in Japan

this should be your decision right there, the Japanese quality Honda is top notch compared to the mexican quality vehicles.
If it was a european made Fiesta that would be a different story.

FIT is a far better vehicle then a Fiesta

Old 12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
As I noted before, and maybe this will be the deal breaker...during a test drive of the Fiesta, I noticed the rear bumper was jutting out at the side. It wasn't subtle. It was poking out. If Ford says quality is job #1, I'm afraid to ask what job #2 is.

The Fit just betters the Fiesta in almost every way. Not to mention resale value.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Sat in the Fiesta this weekend, just felt cheaper compared to the Fit. Also as someone else mentioned above, the cup holder digging into my leg wasn't helping either.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
i was caught up in the intrigue and promise of the fiesta.... but all the hype seems to have quickly gone quiet. all the talk that the fiesta would be a clear choice over the fit seems to have evaporated.
the bottom line is the fiesta has almost zero utility/practicality vs. the fit. and it's a brand new car being made for the first time in a new factory in a new country. that would make me a bit nervous. in the forum link below, i read a bunch of posts about fiestas which were delivered with significant issues.

you can spy on fiesta owners here.... lol
Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
I am a member there. Came from FocalJet, Ford Focus community, and right now, there's not another one like that community. I'm hoping Fiesta Faction, same owner as FocalJet, becomes the same. Currently, I don't see this community as active as either one of those. I do think the Fiesta looks better, but that's about it in my opinion. I do think they'll have a better aftermarket support.

Last edited by B-Blue; 12-13-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
And, admittedly a dealer issue, not related to the car, but when I asked the sales nerd if the fiesta was made in the US, he said yes. So, lie to me and I'm not going to trust you to start.