2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: FREE Loud Mouth Intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 PM
DIY: FREE Loud Mouth Intake!!!

I recently did this on my fit and decided I'd throw up some pics for those of you who want a louder intake, but would rather not part with another cent.

WARNING: I'm not responsible for any injuries, errors, or other negative impacts of attempting this mod. This is posted for reference only and no guarantees are made.

Now on to how I made the "Loud Mouth" intake...

What You'll Need:
- Cutting wheel (or dremel with cutting disc)
- GOGGLES (ALWAYS wear safety goggles)
- Pliers
- Ratchet with 10mm Socket
- Sand Paper (Nothing too coarse or too fine)
- Phillips-head screw driver

First, start by removing your intake box. I don't have pics for this step, but I found it's easiest to first remove your battery, then remove the cover for the resonator chamber and for the MAF housing (be sure to unplug the sensor). Next remove the filter element and the 2 10mm-head bolts holding down the air box. Then unscrew the clamp that connects the air box to the throttle body, and remove the air tube from the air box.

Once you've removed the air box assembly take it to your cutting area. Flip the box over and start cutting the plastic under the filter housing.

Name:  intakebox1.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  41.2 KB

Be sure to only cut underneath where the filter sits. You should cut ahead of the indentation and Honda labeling, as seen below.

Name:  intakebox2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  45.3 KB

The easiest method of cutting I found was to cut the bottom out in pieces. Once the bottom has been cut out you will still see the interior divider piece.

Name:  intakebox3.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  47.2 KB

Cut out the interior divider piece.

Name:  intakebox4.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  42.8 KB

After you’ve completed cutting out the bottom and interior divider, inspect the housing from top and bottom. Use some sand paper to smooth out the cuts and remove any excess plastic.

Name:  intakebox6.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  37.7 KB

After you’re done smoothing everything out, be sure to wipe down and clean the box. Then just reinstall it back in the car in the reverse order that you removed it.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
part of modifying your car is ghettofying it..

Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting, very interesting. DIY FTW! However, when I choose a part to modify I usually choose the cheapest one in the set to replace. In this case you have chosen the most expensive. That part can only be replaced as part of the full bottom assembly which will run you about $50 with shipping. But other than the expense of replacement I see nothing wrong with it. It does take out a couple of bends from the intake tract.

17201-RP3-A00
Honda CASE SET, AIR CLEANER
Selected FIT|2009|5|SPORT (SUZUKA PLANT)
37.70 + 12.69 for shipping.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 10-22-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
gooood man,hell with it right chop crap up!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
However, when I choose a part to modify I usually choose the cheapest one in the set to replace. In this case you have chosen the most expensive. That part can only be replaced as part of the full bottom assembly which will run you about $50 with shipping. But other than the expense of replacement I see nothing wrong with it.

17201-RP3-A00
Honda CASE SET, AIR CLEANER
Selected FIT|2009|5|SPORT (SUZUKA PLANT)
37.70 + 12.69 for shipping.
Yeah, I thought about that, too, but eventually decided it was still, overall, the cheapest route. The only cheaper thing to do would be to leave the car completely stock, and I just can't have that. I like hearing my car, but I don't like spending more than a value-meal to get it to that point. My professional experience has taught me that aftermarket intake kits have no real performance advantage on modern vehicles, but they do (usually) look cool and give you a better sounding engine. However, even at my cost, if I ever needed to replace the OEM box, it would still be cheaper than an aftermarket intake. The other option that many have tried on here, is to modify the MAF housing. The only problem with that is that it forces you to modify emissions equipment, and living in California, I've been conditioned to fear The Man asking me to pop my hood.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 PM
My question would be, what purpose does the dividers serve that you removed?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Farther
My question would be, what purpose does the dividers serve that you removed?
Judging from the design in the box, the divider serves the same purpose as the other resonator boxes. It helps create a pressure system inside the box to dampen the frequencies from inside the intake tract, thus quieting the sound from under the hood.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Please report back any fuel economy changes.