2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyper-miling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Question Hyper-miling?

Hey guys,
I got reading around in the Eco fit discussions and i have heard a lot about hyper-miling techniques and stuff like that.. But its all kinda confusing! It just kinda got me wondering, what exactly is hyper-milling? I know they are techniques people use to boost MPG's, but what exactly are some of the most popular techniques used, etc.?
If you guys could kind of explain it all to me then i would really appreciate it! That would be great!
Let me know, thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM
It's easy with the fit - look at the behaviora when make the MPG readout drop, and avoid those. It doesn't necessarily mean driving slowly - it can mean tearing around a corner because you are trying to conserve momentum, rather than bleeding that energy as heat from the brakes, and using more fel to regain speed.

It seems a little silly in a brand new fit: the mileage gains are minimal, and if you're that convened about the cost of fuel, buying a new car is probably not something you'll do. Some approach it as a sport/hobby.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Drive like you have no purpose.....

Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Itsslow
Drive like you have no purpose.....
How to hypermile, a DIY:

Perpetually drive below the speed limit, take as long as possible to get up to speed and hold up everyone behind you creating stacking traffic, eventually resulting in being shot or run off the road for being so self-centered.

And if that doesn't get you killed here are some other hypermiling techniques that just might!

Cyclically shut the car off while on the highway in neutral and coast even though this takes away your vacuum assist for brakes and power steering and could potentially lock the steering wheel if you turn the key too far, and shut the car off at stop lights even though your car was not equipped with a start/stop system.Also over inflate your tires to reduce rolling friction and compromise your directional stability, ability to perform emergency maneuvers and hard braking.

You can also draft people in town and on the highway by tailgating to save on aerodynamic losses, then when they slam on the brakes for a deer or something you have to buy them a new car and lose all your fuel savings..

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-07-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I see the best mpg around 64 mph and try to follow a truck but not getting to close. I also coast down hills and speed up before going up hill. Slowing down around here is doing the speed limit and I try to time the lights. I have noticed that I get better mpg when theres lots of traffic, probably because of more coasting which use no fuel most of time.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Hahaha DSM that's funny but sounds true! I won't get that serious but I wanna experiment.. Thanks for all the info everyone! I really appreciate it! Haha I have been playing with shift points and little stuff like that and vie noticed it has helped for me at least..
Thanks again! I'll be experimenting!
Later

Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Hypermiling is a term and the crazy hypermilers push beyond the limits of safety and legality for the sake of saving a few $$. Common techniques are inflating tire pressure to the tires limit which is dangerous due to the fact that the pressure will increase past the limit as you drive and the tire heats up. Also running stop signs (some will call them "rolling stops") is common yet illegal and again dangerous.

I follow some of Occam's & silver's techniques but don't really think of that as hypermiling but more common sense and practical driving. Seeing a red light ahead and letting off the gas earlier means you might hit a green by the time you get to the light and be able to accelerate slowly from 10mph instead of a dead stop. You also conserve your brakes and keep momentum in your wheels. Keeping your foot on the gas just enough to prevent engine braking while going down hills can carry your momentum into the uphill side of a road and takes a little of the load off of the engine. "gravity is your friend" (if you do it safely).

Make a game out of the instant economy meter. Feather the gas pedal to keep the instant economy meter over 40mpg. You'll "Feel" where the car wants to be economically to obtain good gas mileage. Remember though, your climate, driving conditions, & other factors will make your economy ratings differ.

~SB

Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Hypermiling is a term and the crazy hypermilers push beyond the limits of safety and legality for the sake of saving a few $$. Common techniques are inflating tire pressure to the tires limit which is dangerous due to the fact that the pressure will increase past the limit as you drive and the tire heats up. Also running stop signs (some will call them "rolling stops") is common yet illegal and again dangerous.

I follow some of Occam's & silver's techniques but don't really think of that as hypermiling but more common sense and practical driving. Seeing a red light ahead and letting off the gas earlier means you might hit a green by the time you get to the light and be able to accelerate slowly from 10mph instead of a dead stop. You also conserve your brakes and keep momentum in your wheels. Keeping your foot on the gas just enough to prevent engine braking while going down hills can carry your momentum into the uphill side of a road and takes a little of the load off of the engine. "gravity is your friend" (if you do it safely).

Make a game out of the instant economy meter. Feather the gas pedal to keep the instant economy meter over 40mpg. You'll "Feel" where the car wants to be economically to obtain good gas mileage. Remember though, your climate, driving conditions, & other factors will make your economy ratings differ.

~SB
AGREED, I also dont extreme hyper milers by turning off engine(except long train) and going to neutral and coasting. In the manual trans Fit I would leave it in gear until rpm drop to 800-900 rpm and then down shift when the car slowed down to 20 mph and was going to stop I might throw it into neutral. In the new automatic car I just coast as much as possible, looking ahead for traffic conditions and trying not to floor it.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 PM
moderation?

You CAN do moderate hypermiling. Act as if you don't have brakes by letting off the gas appropriately to glide up to intersection instead of applying the brakes. Try to drive speeds that keep VTEC inactive which is about 3400 RPM in the GD3. Choose routes that don't require a lot of stops etc. Use AC only when it's truly necessary. Shift at appropriate times and choose gears wisely. It's up to you how extreme YOU wish to be. I wouldn't think of doing EXTREME drafting, turning my car off on a superhighway or drive SO slow that I'm a nuisance to society. When I first got the Fit I tried to truly hypermile but after some time decided that it could be a fun car and thus I DO drive enthusiastically sometimes and suffer a MPG penalty because of it. Moderation in everything!