2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncomfortable seats, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Bingo. I pulled the cushions off and used a hammer to bend down the metal flange that sticks out right there, but it didn't have much effect. Adding the Clazzios helps due to the extra padding.

It bothered me most when wearing ABU's (Air force cammies) because that point lined up directly with the flap on the cargo pocket and amplified the pressure on my sciatic nerve.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed after 30 k miles the seat didn't add pressure to my thighs. I'm going to switch the drivers bottom to passenger side to break in that side too

Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Bingo. I pulled the cushions off and used a hammer to bend down the metal flange that sticks out right there, but it didn't have much effect. Adding the Clazzios helps due to the extra padding.

It bothered me most when wearing ABU's (Air force cammies) because that point lined up directly with the flap on the cargo pocket and amplified the pressure on my sciatic nerve.

Wow I was just going to say I was wearing my ABU's a few days ago and by the time I got to the base my hip was screaming!

I'm gonna try a couple of things, gel pad from Walmart or a thin memory foam pad under my seat cover.

This just started a few weeks back and can't figure out why it didn't bother me a month ago.......I like the car and it's mpg too much to not go down without trying something

Funny thing is I could probably sell it for more than I bought it for, they are in pretty high demand with gas at or over or near 4 bux a gallon

Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by fitit2010
I noticed after 30 k miles the seat didn't add pressure to my thighs. I'm going to switch the drivers bottom to passenger side to break in that side too

Hmmmm...they are swappable?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM
yeah, fit seats are about the worst, but its a cheap car, can't expect much.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
maybe get some sort of lumbar support? like a cushion? even try very small pillow and see if that's the problem.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Blackberry Goose
Hmmmm...they are swappable?
The seat cushions are fully attached to the foam... Doubt it would work. Look at the design if the covers back around the seat belt.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Another sexagenarian here.

I don't know what's wrong with me but I hobble out of the Fit or my Acura TL. The Fit seats give a little more thigh support than my TL. We drive the Fit all over the country so I've gotten used to a little discomfort.

Here is a hint. Take everything out of your back pockets and put it all somewhere else.

When we go anywhere, we take the Fit so it's not unusual for us to spend 10 hours in it at a time. I agree with whoever suggested jamming something at the base of the seat back.

Would I have paid an extra $500–$1000 for better seats? You bet.

Am I happy at the gas pump? Sure thing.

Cheers.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Goose. IIRC, your wife's fit doesn't have this issue. Does she have a problem when she drives your car? if not, swap the seats between the two fits and you should be all set.

~SB

Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Placing three washers under the front of the seat rails is the best thing I've done to improve driving comfort, and I believe it was OCCAM who originally came up with it. He literally needs to shoe-horn himself to fit in his Fit.

It does work like a charm and is easy to do. Pull the front bolt on the seat rail, insert 3ea 3/8" washers under the front of the seat rail then bolt through w/ original seat bolt is all it takes.

What it does is give a bit of positive support to the backs of your legs and holds your butt in the seat way better.

The other part is adjusting the seat back. I've raised the head rest to get it off the back of the neck and then have found the proper rake angle for the seat back to work best for me. It takes a bit of trying to find the sweat spot, but you can get it, play around with the fore/aft position as well to make the two comfortable.

I was running the seat all the way aft and it was not working till I came forward a bit with it. Some one here was wanting memory seats when I first come on and I was thinking that's silly on a Fit, but if you share driving with another, seat readjustment can be a pain in the back.

I just completed 6k miles of driving up and down the east coast which included two 11hr driving days and I've suffered absolutely no back/leg/neck discomfort and I'm a 63yo 6' 200# guy who came off 9yrs of driving Cadillac Deville's. My FIT is not nearly as plush, but it is more comfortable, if you can believe that.

K_C_
Drove less than 200 miles with my Fit but got terrible back pain. I usually drive very straight, so I am not sure about the idea of adding washers in the front. Correct me if I am wrong, but this will make he seat less straight... I need to get some back support; I love this car, but right now it is such a pain...

Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 AM
What it does is provide a bit of thigh support by slightly picking up the front of the seat. Adjust the seat back to correct your seating position. There is a fine line in finding the sweet spot. Others have commented on the desire to have seat position memory options on the Fit because of this. It drove me batty at first, but I'm comfortable now. The seat adjustment, for me, was not similar to other cars I've owned. I just had to find it, I'm thinking you'll get it too.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Every magazine that has ever reviewed the Fit has complained about the over exaggerated lumbar hump on these. I did 6 hours the other day and i could probably handle 10 but that would be my limit in this car.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Yes it should help with the thighs; the problem is that at the same time it would make my position less straight, which is another problem. I will try some orthopedic stuff and see if it helps first. Then I may give it a shot.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
God, it's a wonder anyone is still walking here. I have not had any back issues....yet. I did have problems with my Accord, once but it was a poor adjustment. I let the back of the seat get too low. Don't know what I was thinking when I did t that. I actually found in the accord I felt best with the bottom highest in back and lowest in front. Which is the opposite of the way I had it set when my back hurt. Of course those were much more adjustable than the seat in this car (I think)

Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Keep in mind, the seats do break-in, so to say, after a few months of driving. A steady diet of soldier beans helps the process. Give them a chance to get to know you before taking action.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
I bought this: Sacro-Ease Keri Back in gray, it's very comfortable. So far I like it a lot. But only one day is not enough. Anyway, give it a try if you have back pain.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitter123
Yes it should help with the thighs; the problem is that at the same time it would make my position less straight, which is another problem. I will try some orthopedic stuff and see if it helps first. Then I may give it a shot.
I guess a better question is... Why do you have to sit straight? with the thighs supported a little better, you are angled slightly backwards but the angle between your legs & your back still remains the same. Granted you are looking down ever so slightly more but that's rarely ever an issue.

It might be that your seating position will be different in this car vs others you have owned. I know I sit totally different in the fit vs the Ridgeline... it's a different car.

too many people feel that change is bad, not just different and require the car to adjust to them instead of adjusting themselves to the car (which usually ends up being more comfortable in the long run anyway).

~SB

Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Lean back, grab the headrest, pull it forward.

Simultaneously lean into the seatback as hard as you can.

If you do it right, you'll lock the active headrest in the forward position, and get the pressure-plate that activates it to stop pressing on your mid-lower back.

As a bonus, it brings the headrest and top part of the seat forward where they're actually somewhat near the back of your head.
I tried this and now I found the headrest locked in this position where it leaned too much forward and kept pushing on the back of my head. Is there a way to undo it so it's back to its original position? I read from the manual that if it's locked in this position (resulting from a collision, etc...) I have to come to a dealer to reset it? I unzipped the seat back cover but didn't seem to be able to figure out how to reset the headrest. Help please! Anybody? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
My issue with the seats is not the lower back, it's that the headrest is so far forward that my shoulders are not able to rest on the seat (when my back is relatively straight and not humped over). That gets tiring really fast.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
My issue with the seats is not the lower back, it's that the headrest is so far forward that my shoulders are not able to rest on the seat (when my back is relatively straight and not humped over). That gets tiring really fast.
From what I found out, "... the headrest so far forward... " is usually the result of the "active head restraint system" activated, either because of a collision or by tinkering with the headrest (pulling it forward forcefully, simulating a collision, thus locking it in place). From what I read so far, it'll need to be reset by someone who knows how to reset it (dealer, technician...). Saw someone getting charged $900 to get the system reset on a Huyndai. I found absolutely no info on how much a Honda dealer will charged to reset it.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seats, help!