2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncomfortable seats, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by sumtingwong
I tried this and now I found the headrest locked in this position where it leaned too much forward and kept pushing on the back of my head. Is there a way to undo it so it's back to its original position? I read from the manual that if it's locked in this position (resulting from a collision, etc...) I have to come to a dealer to reset it? I unzipped the seat back cover but didn't seem to be able to figure out how to reset the headrest. Help please! Anybody? Thanks in advance.
With mine, I could reach back and pull the headrest while pushing into the seat to lock it in place. It would stay that way until I reached back and pulled the headrest forward again, almost like pulling a windowshade or projector screen down, then pulling it to unlock it and raise it again. I experimented with using cable-ties to hold it in the forward position, but once I put the Clazzios on there, it was a real pain to get the fit just right with the headrests moving, and I was afraid I was going to tear the holes round the headrest posts, so I just left it alone.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I hate the seats on my Gd. Got those lumbar supports from the 99cent store and it did magic.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
With mine, I could reach back and pull the headrest while pushing into the seat to lock it in place. It would stay that way until I reached back and pulled the headrest forward again, almost like pulling a windowshade or projector screen down, then pulling it to unlock it and raise it again. I experimented with using cable-ties to hold it in the forward position, but once I put the Clazzios on there, it was a real pain to get the fit just right with the headrests moving, and I was afraid I was going to tear the holes round the headrest posts, so I just left it alone.
Dude! It worked! I was able to rock the headrest back to the original position. What a relief! Thanks! And I thought I was gonna have to lose an arm and a leg at the dealer. So now I'm back to the original uncomfortable position of something pushing on my spine from the new uncomfortable position of something pushing on my head (and neck).

Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I bought the Obus Forme back rest and seat - an expensive option that might look and feel uncomfortable for some drivers. However, I regularly have a 10- hour drive to my work site, and this solution has saved my back and eliminated numb legs. Driving my old Fit became fun again.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 AM
More Trouble in 2015

I bought a 2015 FIT about 3 weeks ago and within 40-60 miles started experiencing serious back troubles. The car seems pretty good other than the seat problem. I am 63 and in good shape I traded in a 1999 tacoma with a bench seat and I've driven numerous cars in the recent past and many more since I started driving. The FIT is the first car that has given me back problems. And when I say back problems I am not talking about discomfort I am talking about real pain and back spasms. I now have the seat bolstered with additional lumbar cushions (one was not enough) so at least I am not having back spasms but the seat is still in a league of it's own as far a discomfort and it is still painful to drive more than 15 or 20 miles at a crack.

If you want to avoid back problems either now or in the future (this seat cannot be good for back health even if it gives you no problems currently) do not buy this car.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fight15
I bought a 2015 FIT about 3 weeks ago and within 40-60 miles started experiencing serious back troubles. The car seems pretty good other than the seat problem. I am 63 and in good shape I traded in a 1999 tacoma with a bench seat and I've driven numerous cars in the recent past and many more since I started driving. The FIT is the first car that has given me back problems. And when I say back problems I am not talking about discomfort I am talking about real pain and back spasms. I now have the seat bolstered with additional lumbar cushions (one was not enough) so at least I am not having back spasms but the seat is still in a league of it's own as far a discomfort and it is still painful to drive more than 15 or 20 miles at a crack.

If you want to avoid back problems either now or in the future (this seat cannot be good for back health even if it gives you no problems currently) do not buy this car.
Wrong section.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
3 years in....

and no problems with back from my car. My back hurts almost any day when I wake up because of the work I do. It loosens over time. I have taken several long trips on the Fit and had no more problems than normal. I do take breaks no more than every three hours when driving though. Getting up to move and stretch is a good idea.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Is this truly an adjustment or something you have tried? My Honda dealer knows nothing of a seat adjustment which changes the pressure plate and there is nowhere in the manual that indicates an adjustment for seats or headrests unless it is not in my manual.

Anyone try this? If this changes the seat and headrest it would surly help many with the discomfort in our seats.

Originally Posted by Occam
Lean back, grab the headrest, pull it forward.

Simultaneously lean into the seatback as hard as you can.

If you do it right, you'll lock the active headrest in the forward position, and get the pressure-plate that activates it to stop pressing on your mid-lower back.

As a bonus, it brings the headrest and top part of the seat forward where they're actually somewhat near the back of your head.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluesensation
Hi all! I'm new to the forum as I just bought a 2010 Honda Fit Sport 2 weeks ago. I love everything about my car so far, but have noticed lower back pain when driving long distances-I'm only 30 years old and consider myself in good physical condition, so I find it odd to be experiencing back pain. I actually bought this car because I travel 3,000-4,000 miles/month for work and carry a lot of cargo and the fit was perfect.

I plan to look into replacing the seats with leather seats if the cost is not too outrageous, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and what your solution was.
we've had only one case of back fatiue in a fit and he solved hs ithRecaro type seats froma salvage yard. we got involved to make the fitment, which wasn't difficult. No problems with back since. Think the seats came fro a Fiesta or Golf.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
What a coincidence I test drove the Nissan Nismo with Recaro seats and they were great. I'm ordering a set for my classic Nissan-truck and I may get another set for my 2013 Fit. Any suggestions for that install? I'm guessing just drill and bolt but I would loose the seat airbags.

Originally Posted by mahout
we've had only one case of back fatiue in a fit and he solved hs ithRecaro type seats froma salvage yard. we got involved to make the fitment, which wasn't difficult. No problems with back since. Think the seats came fro a Fiesta or Golf.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Grunthaner
What a coincidence I test drove the Nissan Nismo with Recaro seats and they were great. I'm ordering a set for my classic Nissan-truck and I may get another set for my 2013 Fit. Any suggestions for that install? I'm guessing just drill and bolt but I would loose the seat airbags.
oops ! your insurance company and the safety naz may be a problem if they find out you removed the air bags from your 'safety net'.