2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control...retrofit to 2010 Fit Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Traction control...retrofit to 2010 Fit Sport?

I hear ALL Fits will now come with traction control. I'm wondering if it can be put in my 2010 Sport M/T, cost, etc?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
makes me wish i waited for an 11

Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by cfran55
did the midwest snow made you think that?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
you could put it, but it'll be expensive and time consuming. might be cheaper to trade-in the current fit to get a new one with TC (if you can get a good deal).

speaking of snow... trying to drive earlier was fun... rip roared, slip and slide.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
did the midwest snow made you think that?

lol im in illinois to i dont know why it says midwest but luckily i havent driven when it was snowing outside. is it hard to drive in the winter

i still havent experienced driving manual in the snow. I said that cause i purchased mine in november! i should have waited

Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I'll refer you to two previous threads on this topic:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...d-oem-vsa.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ssist-vsa.html

You'd need the following:
VSA modulator (~$800)
Steering angle sensor
Yaw sensor
Possibly a new ECU and harnesses

As such, it's probably not worth trying to retrofit it unless you happen to find a scrapped car and can get the parts cheap...

Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
cfran55 LOL you should do it now... have fun!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by cfran55
09 and 10's have traction control.......the Navi fit sports

Old 12-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
all 2012 cars in the US will have to have some kind of traction control
I dont see why you would even need traction control on a Fit.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I don't get it either.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
I drive a semi with traction control and I say it dont work. Any time 1 inch of snow and you get stuck in a dock its a waste of resources. I turned it off and got out no problem. What happens is when the wheel spins it applies the brakes stopping any forward movement which could cause you spin out if moving at highway speeds.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
My wife's car has AWD traction control and stability control... The owners manual says to turn off the stability control when driving on loose surfaces because it confuses the traction control..... I have seen a Z-71 pickup with 4WD engaged and the gas pedal on the floor pull a small tractor with the back wheels almost to to the axles in sand and the disk plow almost buried in sand with out breaking the tires loose..... I thought it was stupid that the gas pedal had to be on the floor to over come the automatic application of the brakes that was being applied by the traction control... The stability control on the same truck scared the shit out of me when it was activated on a back road one night and took over control of the damned thing and had it up on 2 wheels....

Old 12-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
I had the same problem with my Grand AM GT in the winter, the TCS was more of a problem then a help in snow and slippery conditions. Just think though all cars will have to have a TCS in 2012

edit: im sorry im actually wrong its ESC (electronic stability control) that will be required by 2012.

Last edited by MNfit; 12-23-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
I guess that trial lawyers must have something to do with all of this stupid safety legislation... Just think about how much money they can make suing auto manufacturers when someone dies in an accident because some safety feature that was supposed to save some dumb ass that killed someone or their self in an accident that could have been avoided.... Also consider the money that the mass of lawyers that the auto manufacturers get paid when fighting the same lawsuits..... I like cars that are devoid of all of the high tech features except for those that make the car perform better and last longer, but are still a pleasure to drive..... A car that is properly designed the size of a Fit without all of the extraneous crap would cost less, weigh a hell of a lot less, handle better, go faster, be cheaper to maintain, and get better fuel mileage.... I never thought I would ever see a 1500cc engine powered car with power steering and brakes, cruise control and power windows... The electrical trouble shooting manual for the 2007 model has 204 pages and they keep adding more crap than any mechanic can possibly keep up with the service procedures to keep one running and operating properly.... I do have a weakness for power windows, seats and air conditioning but items like that and the others mentioned above should be optional.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:44 AM
etf
5 Year Member
I agree. If you have a loss of traction with a Fit (or any car), it's easily remedied with less throttle. It's just that simple. I think a LSD option would be a better aid to deter traction loss than the current traction control system.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
ABS and traction/yaw/stability control are better than a driver when the unexpected happens... and they save lives.

In certain situations or on a track, some drivers MAY be able to do better. Then again, professional race car drivers sometimes leave 4 black streaks on the pavement before hitting a wall, meaning they were in full lockup and not performing expert threshold braking, and that in a situation where they know every nuance of the road surface and layout.

People die every year in rollover accidents which start with the vehicle sliding sideways. Many people also die trying to avoid hazards in the road including live animals, overcorrecting into oversteer, and driving into oncoming traffic or off the road.

I've had some drivers training as well as autocrossing and road racing experience, and can theshold brake or control lift-throtle oversteer on those situations. I've also been in on-street situations where I've panic-braked or overcorrected in an emergency maneuver, and I guarantee that the average driving public is much less familiar with vehicle dynamics than I am. Defeatable (and preferrably adjustable) traction/yaw control should be mandatory on every vehicle.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
ABS and traction/yaw/stability control are better than a driver when the unexpected happens... and they save lives.

In certain situations or on a track, some drivers MAY be able to do better. Then again, professional race car drivers sometimes leave 4 black streaks on the pavement before hitting a wall, meaning they were in full lockup and not performing expert threshold braking, and that in a situation where they know every nuance of the road surface and layout.

People die every year in rollover accidents which start with the vehicle sliding sideways. Many people also die trying to avoid hazards in the road including live animals, overcorrecting into oversteer, and driving into oncoming traffic or off the road.

I've had some drivers training as well as autocrossing and road racing experience, and can theshold brake or control lift-throtle oversteer on those situations. I've also been in on-street situations where I've panic-braked or overcorrected in an emergency maneuver, and I guarantee that the average driving public is much less familiar with vehicle dynamics than I am. Defeatable (and preferrably adjustable) traction/yaw control should be mandatory on every vehicle.
Most accidents happen from distracted driving and going to fast for conditions and 70 percent of people drive out of there comfort zone like driving 70 mph on a 4 lane high with 2 inches of snow. What happens is the brakes come on one brake and cause the car to spin out. Anti lock brake have their problems too but I like them. The more so called safety devices they put on cars the more dangerous it is they get a false sense of security and for get how to drive.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
I can honestly say I have NEVER been in a situation where I said "OMG I wish I had traction control!" Most accidents are form people driving to fast for the conditions or not paying attention. In the winter months I will see more SUVs and AWD cars in the ditch then any other car, why? thats because these people think having AWD or a bigger vehicle they can drive as fast as they want. ESC will only give people more of a false security and will pay even less attention to driving and drive more recklessly, because ESC will save them from any situation.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
On performance cars the ecu cuts power to the wheels to control traction and most are four wheel drive and that different than whats is vehicles now. If your racing your not distracted and the ecu is tuned for max speed with out losing traction. Thats different than the brakes being applied and causing a spin out.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
ABS works amazingly well... To me having the government legislate safety requirements that responsible consumers may never benefit from and give an excuse to those less responsible to feel invulnerable is rewarding the irresponsible.....

Quick Reply: Traction control...retrofit to 2010 Fit Sport?