2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vague and rubbery left turn steering feel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Vague and rubbery left turn steering feel.

I've had my fit for about 1yr and 2mo. I bought it new and have logged about 38,000 miles on it so far.

I have recently noticed when turning left (weight transfer to the right side of the suspension) it would feel rubbery and inconsistent. I could sense a bit of bump steer and some vagueness. Sweeping right turns feel prefect, direct and confidence inspiring, which is what I'm used to in the fit. On left turns not so much.

When i enter a constant radius sweeping left turn i have to make several steering corrections and feel unsettled and want to slow down for the rest of the corner. Also, quick left off center steering wheel feels rubbery and sluggish. Simply explained, it feels like the right front tire is folding over when i turn left quick or hard.

Would some members please chip in on some diagnosis on why my fit is behaving this way? My assumption to the problem is a worn ball joint, bushing that needs to be replaced due to all my harsh freeway jaunts and hits (I have hit some pretty deep rough ones recently).

Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 PM
How about the tire air pressure?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farther
How about the tire air pressure?
its been checked and it still retains good pressure.

would it be because of a bent wheel or blown shocks?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
I also thought that you had low tire pressure when I first read this. Now I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted by JJIN
its been checked and it still retains good pressure.

would it be because of a bent wheel or blown shocks?
Are you now saying that you have a bent wheel and blown shocks? Why didn't you mention that in the first post?

Are there other things that you haven't mentioned?

Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
i do not have blown shocks or bent wheels. (sorry for the confusion)

well that is to say i dont think i do. its just another set of things that i might THINK is damaged due to the symptoms of the suspensions response.

Last edited by JJIN; 12-25-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Do sway bar links look good? I agree you should check the ball joints as well as all the bushings, leaking struts etc.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Do you have VSA? The vehicle could be applying the brakes for some reason during left turns. Also if you do have a blown strut you could be experiencing low feedback. The bent rim would not cause this issue.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Blown damper is the first thing that came to mind, especially if there are not other symptoms besides handling/steering feel. Go out and bounce around on the fenders and see if you can tell if one side seems springy or loose, as well as inspect them for fluid leaking. It could be several things though - and I'd be looking more at damaged/bent parts than worn/defective stuff. That is most likely, being that it is a Honda. I've been around the block, and I've never seen less issues presented on a message board than I have for the GE Fit. I know that sounds simplistic, but it's true.

Is the suspension stock?? That would play into the equation pretty largely. Stock rims/offset?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
Blown damper is the first thing that came to mind, especially if there are not other symptoms besides handling/steering feel. Go out and bounce around on the fenders and see if you can tell if one side seems springy or loose, as well as inspect them for fluid leaking. It could be several things though - and I'd be looking more at damaged/bent parts than worn/defective stuff. That is most likely, being that it is a Honda. I've been around the block, and I've never seen less issues presented on a message board than I have for the GE Fit. I know that sounds simplistic, but it's true.

Is the suspension stock?? That would play into the equation pretty largely. Stock rims/offset?
all suspension is stock. tires and wheels are stock and have not yet been modified.

also my fit does not have vsa.