2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Honda Fit - Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Awww man! That sucks... hate when something like that happens!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Try one of these is your still worried about a dead battery. Easy solution.

PriorityStart Automatic Battery Protection - Cars, Motorhomes and Machinery

Fitchet, no self serve gas stations? Wow that is a bit extreme.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
This is why I've replaced all my lights with LEDs (except the instruments, headlights, and fog lights), always lock with the fob (since it will fail unless all the doors are closed), and carry around a portable jumpstarter (for myself and others... it's way faster to start and rechargeable). The only times I've had the battery run out on me is when I leave the radio on too long while working on it in the parking lot =P

Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Change your incandescent bulbs to LEDs and you won't have to worry anymore

I killed my battery a long time ago after installing a stereo in my car. I charged the battery back up the next day, but it was always weak after that and died an early death. That's when I found out about the advantages of LED bulbs.

Waterproof Power Flex Ribbon - China Power Led Ribbon,Led Strip,Led Ribbon Light in Rope Light

4.8 watts per meter of LED lights

4.8 watts / 39.4 inches = 0.121827411 watts per inch

Each 3 LED bulb strip is 2 inches long

Total wattage for a 2" strip is 0.243654822 watts

Light Emitting Diodes

White LEDs are perfect for replacing small, inefficient incandescent bulbs in night lights, flashlights, path lights, task lights and exit signs. Try 6-9 white LEDs for reading and task lights.

I bought my LED strips at: 12 VDC LED LIGHT STRIP, COOL-WHITE | AllElectronics.com

I used (2) 2" strips (6 bulbs) for the dome light (0.49 watts) and
(1) 2" strip (3 bulbs) for the trunk or cargo area (0.244 watts). 6 LED bulbs are adequate for the dome light, but if you desire more than sufficient light I would use 9 bulbs. 3 LED bulbs are sufficient for the trunk, but you can fit 6 bulbs, if you choose. Contrary to what the web site says, you can’t make extreme bends in the strip. Make sure all of the LED strips are working before making any solder connections.

For the dome, I measured the OEM bulb outside diameter and found some wire connectors (wire crimps for 12 gauge wire) at the hardware store that fit perfectly. It even has a bevel on one end, so the connectors can never slide out of the bulb receptacle. Although they do sell LED strip connectors, I soldered wire from the strip to the connector. The LEDs are polarized so you can only install the connectors into the bulb receptacle one way. If they don’t work one way, reverse the connectors. I then taped the LED strips to the lenses.

For the trunk, I took a blown instrument panel light bulb, cut off the quartz with my dremel tool, soldered the wire onto the metal filament guides, and then filled the rest of the bulb with silicone (in case the wires ever got crossed).

OEM light bulbs are 8 watts for the dome and 5 watts for the trunk My new lights draw 1/2 watt for the dome and ¼ watt for the trunk. I’ve left my hatches on other cars open all day and never had a battery die on me.

The LEDs can get as hot as 100 degrees F. They haven’t melted the plastic lenses or discolored them yet, but we’ll see. Then again on a hot day, it does get up to 140 degrees F inside the car.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 AM
+1 for LEDs, less drain on the battery and they look great!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Granted they cost more by at least $1500 if the ¥/$ was equal, but damn they nitpicked the hell out of the North American model.
Yeah - its cuz we're mandated to do stupid stuff like TPMS that most of the rest of the world doesn't require. Add in VSA now on the '11s too which the only reason a manufacturer adds these sort of features in a vehicle like the Fit is due to regulations. At least VSA is a much more sensible addition, vs. TPMS, but in the backwards way we do things in the US at times, those with 09/10 Fits have TPMS but no VSA unless you got the navi. Go figure.

So Honda nitpicked all kinds of other stuffs to pay for it, and the dollar being devalued doesn't help either.

New CAFE standards are going to drive up the prices of cars further in years to come, and at the same time we're getting less MPG that we should due to stupid ethanol being used in fuels, and while the federal debt is rising, we're spending billions on ethanol subsidies.

Will get off the rant now, just a sore point.

As for the hatch, never had an issue with it not being fully closed, but good to know it could suck the battery dry. LEDs seem to be the way to go.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
2011 fit brake pads

I know this may be out of topic but ,have not been able to get an answer in other threads: Does anybody know or, if use HAWK HPS PADS OR EBC GREEN STUFF, WHAT YEAR PADS WOULD BE COMPATIBLE WITH MY 2011 FIT SPORT MT ? thanks in advance. JJ (the people I have talked to at several stores do not have a straight answer), JJ

Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
2009 Honda Fit - sat unused for a week while I was on vacation.
turn on fine & drove 3 blocks. Then off for 2 hours - then turned on fine and drove home.
Next day: battery dead.
Roadside service comes and I charge it for 35 minutes to COSTCO. Shopped and it got me home. Then 2.5 miles to gym and back.
Now, 4th day of being home, dead again.
IS IT BECAUSE I PUT MY VISOR DOWN and left the Mirror (with light) hanging down from trip back from gym? I NEVER leave the mirror down, but yesterday, I did.
My Honda roadside won't come out within 7 days for same problem. Neighbor has a charger, but I'm seeking an explanation. Help! thanks!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
too many short trips. each time its started, the a portion of the charge is drained. it needs time to restore that charge on the battery. once in a while, you'll need to run the engine for something like 30 minutes to an hour.

adding to that, leaving anything that uses electricity without the engine running will drain the battery (some things don't drain as much as others).

Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM
In addition, a battery going dead for a while can have it's ability to hold a charge permanently damaged. You might want to take it to autozone and have it tested.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neros
2009 Honda Fit - sat unused for a week while I was on vacation.
turn on fine & drove 3 blocks. Then off for 2 hours - then turned on fine and drove home.
Next day: battery dead.
Roadside service comes and I charge it for 35 minutes to COSTCO. Shopped and it got me home. Then 2.5 miles to gym and back.
Now, 4th day of being home, dead again.
IS IT BECAUSE I PUT MY VISOR DOWN and left the Mirror (with light) hanging down from trip back from gym? I NEVER leave the mirror down, but yesterday, I did.
My Honda roadside won't come out within 7 days for same problem. Neighbor has a charger, but I'm seeking an explanation. Help! thanks!
Yes it's because you left the visor light on. (your visor has lights? crap another thing not on the Base.) The first time is more suspect unless something was left on that time too. It should have had enough reserve to go on vacation and behave after you got back.

I'd also have it checked as Malraux suggests. It's at about the average life span for an OE battery. They don't have a lot of reserve to begin with. If you're under 36K miles, 36 months, it's fully covered by warranty too.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
LOL Steve244. yes, visor lights - to check the powder on your nose.
charging now - fortunately neighbor had a charging box thing-y.
then a nice man friend promises to check how clean things are.
THX FOR REPLY - much appreciated.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
evening report: the battery charger after 6 hours is not yet at zero
so maybe there is a drain/leak somewhere?
i guess I'll spend tomorrow drinking Honda Dealer Coffee and eating Honda Dealer donuts
anybody know if Honda batteries are less good than a 3rd party battery

Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit's battery is such an odd size, the one sold at Honda is about the only one that will fit. People putting in 3rd party batteries are usually not concerned about price as they have to make modifications to make them fit. They do this to get more capacity/reliability but at a higher price. When mine dies I'll probably get a Honda battery unless autozone sells one in the same size by then...

Yes, it's a source of annoyance to Fit owners.

You get donuts? crap.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM
How about an Optima Battery? Since the Fit uses the same battery as the Civic and CRZ, a Red Top 35 (8020-164) or Yellow Tops D35 (8040-218) or D51R (8073-167)should work...

Old 09-19-2011, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
How about an Optima Battery? Since the Fit uses the same battery as the Civic and CRZ, a Red Top 35 (8020-164) or Yellow Tops D35 (8040-218) or D51R (8073-167)should work...
I don't think we have the same battery size as Civics. Fits take group size 151R.

This seems to be the definitive thread on the subject. Yeah it's 1st gen Fit but it seems we share the same battery size. The thread has pics of both. The 51R is much bigger and requires some modification to the battery tray and hold down on 1st gens. I don't know about 2nd gen, maybe there's a thread on ours somewhere around here.

Autozone has it now, but it's $132 with core trade in. I'd rather pay Honda $100 for theirs (if mine is out of warranty). Don't think I'll try to cram another size in there.

Batteries Plus has the rayovac version. Doesn't say how much. Edit: this is the 51R. Called and they said they could order the 151R. Price is about $99 for either. They said the 51R is a couple inches longer and "should" fit. shrug.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I don't think we have the same battery size as Civics. Fits take group size 151R.

This seems to be the definitive thread on the subject. Yeah it's 1st gen Fit but it seems we share the same battery size. The thread has pics of both. The 51R is much bigger and requires some modification to the battery tray and hold down on 1st gens. I don't know about 2nd gen, maybe there's a thread on ours somewhere around here.
I cross referenced the Fit's battery p/n, 31500-SNC-00100M, and the Civic and CR-Z popped up as matches. Maybe it only matches the Civic Hybrid...

Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
Maybe it only matches the Civic Hybrid...
Yes - hybrid Civics only, and also the Insight, plus Fit and CR-Z.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The Fit's battery is ....
You get donuts? crap.
back from Honda dealer. they put their gauge on it (after my 10 hour trickle charge) and said it was fine. we left the headlamps on for 15 and then retested. they said it was fine. they are not allowed to change them until they reach a certain point on the curve of the gizmo.
We will see what tomorrow brings.
No donuts today, however: it was 1PM by the time I got there. The folks at the dealership are so nice. They looked perplexed, however, when I said that some FitFreaks retrofit a bigger sized battery ... LOL.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
it is not very promising is it? of course it read ok after 10 hours of trickle. oh, dear. tomorrow I have to drive far away. Hope it starts up for the return trip. I'll let you all know.

Quick Reply: 2010 Honda Fit - Dead!