2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door relocking if not opened in X seconds, disable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Door relocking if not opened in X seconds, disable?

When I unlock our Fit Sport using the keyfob, if a door isn't opened after 20 seconds, then it relocks. Is there a way to disable this?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Don't think so but that feature is there for a reason. If the unlock button gets bumped in your pocket, do you want your car unsecured for the (potential) hours before you get back?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yes actually I do. I tried to unlock the car before a trip, and it relocked itself before I could get my bags in it.
I am totally fed up with electronic doodads (and cars) trying to be smarter than me "for my own good". I just want it to do what it's told.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Like pitch said, I don't think it's an option to reprogram this. It's a minor adjustment that everyone has to make and it's really handy for most. Just be sure to pull the handle on one door before loading the car. Or unlock it closer to the car.

~SB

Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
Yes actually I do. I tried to unlock the car before a trip, and it relocked itself before I could get my bags in it.
I am totally fed up with electronic doodads (and cars) trying to be smarter than me "for my own good". I just want it to do what it's told.
What about calling Honda USA directly and asked the customer service guy? If he or she says, Yes, it can be programmed, and not burnt in, there is a likelihood someone in the forum can respond to you and advise how to program it. If Honda USA says, yes, it is possible, the other option if you don't mind spending some money at the dealership to ask their Honda technicians to do it... my 2 cents

Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
I am totally fed up with electronic doodads (and cars) trying to be smarter than me "for my own good".
I feel your pain. I also fear it is going to get worse as we go to a "nanny state". If you figure it out, please share the information.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
One of the reasons that I like my Fit, is for the lack of electronic nannies. My BMW had way too many of them,with more coming.A simple thing like setting the climate control was too involved. I agree that this re-lock feature is annoying,but have easily adjusted. As someone else said,you can unlock the door a little bit closer to the time you will open a door or the hatch,OR you can press the unlock button once to unlock the driver's door and then again to unlock the remaining doors and the hatch. This second unlock is usually enough to keep MY doors from re-locking. I think we all like having some electronic conveniences in our cars,and they are not perfect. They are nice when they work. I would rather have this little annoyance,than no remote unlock. Try to get used to it, as I don't think it can be disabled.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Why change it? It is a good feature. If you don't want it to re-lock, then leave the hatch or a door open while loading.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdnewman
Why change it? It is a good feature. If you don't want it to re-lock, then leave the hatch or a door open while loading.
I think what he's saying is that if you unlock the door remotely,but don't open it fast enough,you find yourself having to put down your packages and dig for the key. This can be particularly annoying if there's snow on the ground.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
It's a tiny button on a set of keys that you most likely will have in your hand anyway - what's the big deal, unless you've never owned a car with electronic locks before. In that case you need those keys in your hand and you don't un-lock the doors from 20yrds away, you un-lock them when you get to the car.

First time I began to realized the feature in my FIT was when I first got it, was sitting inside w/ engine running, then shut it off. The doors un-lock. I removed the key and started looking at the owner's manual. In a few the doors locked themselves. This will happen if you don't open a door.

Soon after I discovered the issue the OP has stated. Thing is that it's really difficult to lock the keys in the Fit if you learn to rely on the remote. The little quirks don't interfere with the course of life - just take a bit of understanding to accept. For the longest time I was paranoid that the car would lock itself if I wasn't careful - my last Cadillac would and often did do that, no matter where the keys were. It had a too smart aftermarket security system that every once in a while thought I was stealing the thing and would explode with flashing lights, alarms and horns after 5 seconds of driving off from park. The only way to shut the thing up was to stop, shut it down, get out w/ keys in hand, shut the door and then, using the key, lock and unlock the door. By then a small crowd has formed and someone with a cell phone has called 911, taken your picture and posted it on AMW.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
To the OP, you're absolutely free to like that feature or not like it. I honestly haven't tested, I don't know if mine is doing that or not.

If mine isn't? I like the idea.

My old vehicle had an automatic passive lock option which I used. In other words if I exited the car, and all the doors were closed and nothing was touched for 60 seconds..the car locked itself...

I miss that feature. While I can understand how under specific situations it might be annoying...with The Fit, I'm always getting into a building, or sitting in the Movie Theater wondering if I remembered push the lock button and lock the doors. I've left functions a few times just to make sure The Fit was locked.

So personally, I like a self arming feature. The times I might have to unlock vs. Worrying about the car not being locked...

I'd rather know my car is secure in my absence...then worry about the few times I might be loading luggage or something and have to hit unlock an extra time. Even in those cases, if you leave a door cracked...it won't re-arm.

But if you figure out how to activate or de-activate this feature let us know. I can see both sides of this issue.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
It would be nice if you could customize the time out...or even better if you there was a key sequence/combination that would disable it on an ad hoc basis until the operator locks the doors again.

But disabling it entirely is just silly. If this represents the car needlessly trying to be smarter than the operator, then in this case the car may in fact be the smarter party.

Would you really prefer to have the doors unlock and stay unlocked anytime you press the button - even accidentally - just on the off chance you might occasionally have your hands full and have to put something down to get to your keys?

Really?

Also, if you were carrying so much stuff that you could not get to the key, how would you have opened the door/hatch? It seems like you'd still have to free up a hand one way or another.

Ford recently demo'ed a fairly ingenious feature...you wave your foot under a sensor on the bumper and it pops the hatch open for you!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Ford recently demo'ed a fairly ingenious feature...you wave your foot under a sensor on the bumper and it pops the hatch open for you!
Brilliant! I'm assuming it operates like a Prius "Smart Key" system and the sensor would only be active if you are carrying the vehicle fob.

I think automatic, touch or touchless systems and functions are just the wave of the future.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
With the Range on the FIT's key, I don't see the problem with getting to the car before the doors relock. It's not like there's a long range on these fobs and unless your car is parked RIGHT outside your window and you unlock the car, load your hands so full of stuff you have to use your pinky to open the car, and take forever, it's really a null issue. If the range of the FIT's keys were hundreds of feet (more time than it takes to walk to the car), I might be able to see the annoyance but you have to have the keys in your hand at a relatively close range to unlock the car. It's easy enough to make two trips if your hands are overloaded.

On the other side of things, I do miss the keyless entry of the Altima. Walk up, push a button on the handle, get in, push a button on the dash, Drive. No fumbling with keys, no chance of locking them in the car. THIS was convenient when my hands were fully loaded as you could unlock, and open the door literally with a pinky.

~SB

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
You learned a long time ago you had to press the gas peddle to make the car go faster. If you got used to that you'll get used to the automatic doors.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
With the Range on the FIT's key, I don't see the problem with getting to the car before the doors relock. It's not like there's a long range on these fobs and unless your car is parked RIGHT outside your window and you unlock the car, load your hands so full of stuff you have to use your pinky to open the car, and take forever, it's really a null issue. If the range of the FIT's keys were hundreds of feet (more time than it takes to walk to the car), I might be able to see the annoyance but you have to have the keys in your hand at a relatively close range to unlock the car. It's easy enough to make two trips if your hands are overloaded.

On the other side of things, I do miss the keyless entry of the Altima. Walk up, push a button on the handle, get in, push a button on the dash, Drive. No fumbling with keys, no chance of locking them in the car. THIS was convenient when my hands were fully loaded as you could unlock, and open the door literally with a pinky.

~SB
wasn't there a sort of "tips for safety" to only unlock your doors when you get close to your car if you're in a "bad" neighborhood?

The only two times I "rush" to unlock my doors is if my passengers are about to reach the car in a few seconds. or when I pull to a stop, one of my friends is always in a rush to open the door when I drop him off (it being a manual, only automatically unlocks the doors when you flip the key out of the ON position). is he telling me that my driving stinks?

I like the 95 Vette's transmitter (at least for the door)... walk up, pull handle, enter. or exit, close door, walk away. either way, it locks/unlocks so long as you have the transmitter on you. But you still needed the key to start the engine. I would guess they kept that around, but the 95 Vette was the only one I drove. But OMG, is it a pain in the ass if you're doing other things around it. Even if you're standing at the trunk putting things into or taking things out of the trunk, you're just far enough, it'll lock and unlock just from leaning in and out.

dems the breaks man.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
This was a pain the first couple of times it happened but then I just got used to unlocking the doors when I was closer to the car. I don't even think about it anymore. I much prefer the doors relock on their own. If there was a way to extend the delay, I'd like that too. But it's not a big deal at all.

Dan

Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Just answer the the man's question

SuperMacGuy's question was, "is there any way to disable this feature"?

It wasn't "What do all of you super smart forum geniuses think I should do? I just can't figure out any way around this vexing, super perplexing problem."

So why do so many of you people respond with, "What's the big deal?... Get used to it... You had to get used to stepping on the gas peddle, didn't you (and I need to get used to using a dictionary so I can look up the word 'pedal')... It's a minor adjustment... Unless you load yourself up with a bunch of bags, then rush out and open the door with your pinky... Don't hit hit the unlock until you're close to the car...."

Gee, d'ya think? Really? Is any of this even relevant?!?!

Back to SuperMacGuy's point: This is a nuisance to a lot of people. How do you change it? Period. End of question. A useful answer is, "You can't reprogram it" or "a Honda technician may be able to do it for you if you are willing to pay for it."

All of your extraneous commentary is 100% useless. And annoying as hell.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Unless my car is unique, there is no relock if ya just push the unlock button twice. The first push gets the driver's door only and starts the timer for the relock feature. The second push unlocks all five and leaves everything unlocked.

geo

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Use the key in the door.

Quick Reply: Door relocking if not opened in X seconds, disable?