2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bisimoto L15 stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
bisimoto L15 stuff

would you?

Bisimoto Engineering

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 PM
no cam?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
There is only one way to change the rev limiter right now that I know of and that is with a Hondata reflash. Without doing that there is little to be gained by changing cams and you would still need to adjust the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing for maximum gains... Long duration cams also work best with high compression pistons. In other words a cam by itself needs other expensive things to be done to make more power and a whole lot more power requires beefing up the bottom end and drive train.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
and after all that money, you are left with a 1.5L fit. if i ever wanted to go fast in straight lines in the fit, id go k20.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
The little 1.5 does very well with boost if you live where you can get away with it.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM
At the end of the day, a k swap is a k swap... nothing new. An L15 made to put out the numbers is something else. Given the L15's potential and durability, as bisimoto exploitation of their crz, it's one little engine that could. ECU is the speed bump but it's day will surely come... I hope

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 01-07-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
There is only one way to change the rev limiter right now that I know of and that is with a Hondata reflash. Without doing that there is little to be gained by changing cams and you would still need to adjust the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing for maximum gains... Long duration cams also work best with high compression pistons. In other words a cam by itself needs other expensive things to be done to make more power and a whole lot more power requires beefing up the bottom end and drive train.
Coyote, I know that you come from the VW world, but you can get a LOT of power out of a Honda engine by swapping cams. The only other thing you need to change when swapping a cam is springs and retainers (fuel injectors might not be a bad idea though).

You should know as well as anyone (with that KW kit) that the L15 bottom end is plenty strong as it is. And we do have a solution for the rev limiter, AFR, and possibly the VTC in the L15a7 (you GD guys are out of luck): The VTC intake cam gear is where the real potential of the i-VTEC engines is.

Name:  RCAdyno1.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  54.7 KB

Last edited by blackndecker; 01-07-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Small displacement engines are the future...not necessarily for hurdling in a straight line for 8 seconds. But for those of us who actually like to turn their car every once in a while, the 1.5 and 1.6 liter is where it's at. Just take a look at the new engines being adopted in F-1...

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, because a 1.5 liter sohc economy engine has so much more potential than a 2.0 liter (debatable)high performance engine

Old 01-08-2011, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
What I posted is true, there is more to making horsepower than installing a bump stick, springs and spacers. When I say a lot of horsepower I am not talking about 180 200 that can be had with just a little boost, tune and 6100 RPM rev limit but numbers far exceeding that.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
Yeah, because a 1.5 liter sohc economy engine has so much more potential than a 2.0 liter (debatable)high performance engine
If you have the money, know how and high enough level dedication anything is possible.... There were street legal air cooled VWs running the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds almost 40 years ago and that engine was designed as an economy car engine.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
The L15 in the GD is an economy engine. The L15a7 on the other hand was designed with performance in mind (despite being SOHC). This is well known.

BTW, show me where I stated that the L series 1.5 liter has more potential than the K series???

Old 01-08-2011, 12:09 PM
What I posted is true, there is more to making horsepower than installing a bump stick, springs and spacers. When I say a lot of horsepower I am not talking about 180 200 that can be had with just a little boost, tune and 6100 RPM rev limit but numbers far exceeding that.
Then I think you are starting with the wrong platform. 180-200 hp would be perfect from this engine...that would be almost a 40% increase in power. Why would you want anything more than that on the street? You would already be traction limited upwards of 200 (my car spins the inside wheel in hard corners as it is). Plus, you would have to make a custom rear suspension if you wanted to turn your car....the torsion beam rear sussy is not up to the task of 200+ hp. I believe this (rear sussy) as well as disruption of the optimal weight distribution is the wall the Mugen team ran into with their K-swapped Fit. And Tex, before you tell me "how great your Fit handles with springs and a supercharger" save it....you don't even auto-X or track your car so you really can't say with any objective accuracy. Again, I am not interested in straight line performance from a 1.5 liter engine (again, wrong platform).

The F-1 teams using 1.5 liters next year will make upwards of 500 hp. Again, this would be an undrivable car (Fit) on the street.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
The GD3 does well with boost none the less... I am confident that with sticky tires I could do 0to60 runs below 6 seconds, I can get there in the low 6s now with myself and the kid that was working the stop watch together weighing over 400 lbs and the tires not fully hooking up until 40 MPH in 2nd gear.. Isn't odd that there doesn't seem to be anyone presently competing in autocross or road racing in the GE cars yet... The valve train on the GEs is an engineering marvel that does a better job of broadening the power band but since in most types of competition a car is is operating at high RPM the advantage isn't all that big.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
I'm too damned old, crippled up and lack the financial resources to be driving 100 plus miles to compete in autocross or even a pissing contest. I just enjoy the hell out of doing what I do with my car when I am able to get out and enjoy it.. Oh yeah I will be installing Skunk2 coil overs soon... Just because you have what you have and are financially able to do what you do might make you feel like you are special and justifies your arrogance but it comes across as being chicken shit to me.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm too damned old, crippled up and lack the financial resources to be driving 100 plus miles to compete in autocross or even a pissing contest. I just enjoy the hell out of doing what I do with my car when I am able to get out and enjoy it.. Oh yeah I will be installing Skunk2 coil overs soon... Just because you have what you have and are financially able to do what you do might make you feel like you are special and justifies your arrogance but it comes across as being chicken shit to me.
You have what you have and you are also financially able to do what you do...so what is the point of that statement? I wasn't dissing your KW SC and Swift springs (both pricey items)...I would love to have the KW kit and Swift springs. I think swapping to Junk2 coilovers (also a high priced item) is a "trade down"...you will give up the great Swift spring rate simply for height adjustability.

Your comment about being "chicken shit" comes off as an attack for lack of something better to say. You don't like when your comments challenged...guess what, this is a forum. Ideas are supposed to be challenged.

Last edited by blackndecker; 01-08-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:50 PM
The GD3 does well with boost none the less... I am confident that with sticky tires I could do 0to60 runs below 6 seconds, I can get there in the low 6s now with myself and the kid that was working the stop watch together weighing over 400 lbs and the tires not fully hooking up until 40 MPH in 2nd gear.. Isn't odd that there doesn't seem to be anyone presently competing in autocross or road racing in the GE cars yet... The valve train on the GEs is an engineering marvel that does a better job of broadening the power band but since in most types of competition a car is is operating at high RPM the advantage isn't all that big.
¿Como? There are lots of people auto-X'ing the GE Fit on this forum...and people all over the world tracking their GE. In fact, the dyno graph that you completely ignored above is from a company successfully road racing their GE.

Last edited by blackndecker; 01-08-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think wasn't lacking anything, chicken shit is in my opinion appropriate, I have been around long enough to be familiar with it... You are right about trading for height adjustability, it sucks not having adequate ground clearance to go to the grocery store and not have to reattach the front bumper to the fender... I don't guess anyone has told you but your graph is unreadable and believe me I tried my best to read it but it would become fuzzy looking when magnified... Now I guess you are going to tell me that my new lap top is junk.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Name calling and attack is an immature defense mechanism...apparently age doesn't compensate for unresolved ego defenses. I haven't attacked you in this entire thread. I simply disagreed with you.

The dyno I obtained by emailing the company that responded to the "ECU Fit relash possibilities" thread in the GE8 tuning subforum. I believe I have a larger, higher res version (~2 mb in PDF), I'm just too lazy to search my photobucket at the moment. The only point of posting the graph was to show that GE owners do indeed have a way of manipulating all the parameters you posted in your initial response.

In response to the original question, I would not purchase Bisimoto cams because I don't trust the guy. I read a thread on Hondatech.com where a customer had an issue/problem with a service rendered by Bisi. Bisi came on and attacked the guy, Bisi really tarnished his reputation. Cams are a hard thing to design correctly. There are very few companies that can do it without the cams destroying your valve train over time. IPS and K2 are two of the few that can do so and design for Honda engines.

Last edited by blackndecker; 01-08-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: I meant K2 not KW...LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose that people in differing geographic locations interpret things differently... Surprisingly we are pretty much on the same page and if you were living in this area or I in yours there probably wouldn't be any kind of disagreeing... You do what you do with your car based on what you do with it, and I do the same.... Inferring that someone that has a supercharger and Swift springs should "save it" because they don't autocross doesn't come across well when there was no intent to post anything at all and it is the first thing you see when you turn on your computer...When was the last time you actually did a midnight run?... That pretty much describes what I do in my car and the supercharger is mainly to get from curve to curve faster.... There is nothing like the rush you get when there is a deer in your headlights standing on the road in the apex of a curve and you are at the edge of tire adhesion doing over 100 MPH... Much more satisfying to me than driving around traffic cones in a large parking lot but not as satisfying as directing close air support danger close while my friends at home were graduating from high school..It's a need I have.

Quick Reply: bisimoto L15 stuff