2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden digital speedo (we all have them!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hidden digital speedo (we all have them!)

I've never seen this mentioned on the boards before so my apologies if this is old news. As long as you have the stock head unit, this will work as I just tested it.

With the radio OFF (but car on), press and hold 1 and 6 and then turn radio on. This will put you into "Diag" mode. Then press 5.
This will now give you MPH and KPH side by side

Unfortunately though, you will not have control of the volume or stereo in this mode so select your listening preferences before doing this.

To get out of this mode simply turn the radio off and back on.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Does this work if your regular speedo is digital?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Does this work if your regular speedo is digital?
As long as the head unit is stock, I don't see why not. Do you have a pic of your speedo you could post? I'd like to see that.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
eh... no, it doesn't give you the mph, only kph.

the other one is the rotational frequency of the tires (which is how its all calculated anyway)... multiply it out... x3600 (secs to hours) to get rotations per hour, then multiply it by the the diameter and pi (~3.14)... to get inches per hour (or mm if you're using metric)... and then divide by the appropriate value (by 5280 for miles from inches, or 1000000 for Km from mm)... or you could just multiply the Kph by 5/8. keeping in mind... this is all based on the tires being the correct size (approx 24" diameter).

the reason it shows up here, because its used for the SVC function of the radio... if you don't know what that is... it's the automatic sound boost function that increase the volume as you drive faster (how much depends on the setting, none, low, mid, high... hit the music icon button a couple of times to get to it in normal usage mode).

and you can get out of it the same way you got it... hold 1 and 6, tap power.

if you hold 4 and 6, you'll get information about the firmware versions... and the model # of the unit.

in the 1+6 diag mode, 2 begins the buttons test (that requires you to power off to get out of!), 3 is a illumination test (all on/off), 4 shows you the intensity of the dash lights (when headlights are on)... it's a percentage with 100 being full on and next to it is the voltage to the lights (again, it affects the radio, so it shows up).

AND... much of this has been mentioned in older threads too... but they so old... a search won't find them! unless you force the search to look for something beyond a few months ago (there's a 150 return limit). https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post683659 is one of the threads.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-23-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

the other one is the rotational frequency of the tires
Thank you for the clarification

Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks to all for reviving this useful topic which I never had a chance to participate in the past because I am a new FIT owner (6 months).

I was initially so naive about this topic that when I first read the subject line as "....digital speedo.....", I jumped to the wrong conclusion that Honda came up with a new FIT accessory, a special Honda speedo for us to wear while driving the FIT in hotter climates when the A/C in our FIT is not working properly.

I have to admit I felt embarrassed to have those first thoughts

Last edited by Ric01; 01-24-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
As long as the head unit is stock, I don't see why not. Do you have a pic of your speedo you could post? I'd like to see that.
Not my pic but it looks like this.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
hum... the only thing I can say is... the information I linked to, works "for sure" on Fits... with stock NON-navi units.

If the Fit has a navi, aftermarket, or isn't even a Fit... who knows.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
... the reason it shows up here, because its used for the SVC function of the radio... if you don't know what that is... it's the automatic sound boost function that increase the volume as you drive faster (how much depends on the setting, none, low, mid, high... hit the music icon button a couple of times to get to it in normal usage mode).
So, technically-speaking, there should be some kind of way to do the same thing with the navigation model too, right? I mean, there is a pretty nice SVC mode on my navi system.

I used to know how to get into diagnostic mode on my navi, but I forgot... it's been so long since I've had the time to actually tried to use it. I was trying to squeeze extra functionality out of the navi unit, but I've pretty much given up until I get more time to do more deep exploring.

Anyway, I only knew how to get into diagnostic mode... don't recall seeing a speedo or the other functionality mentioned in this thread.

If you happen to know, find out, or know where to find any info about navi modes and functionality, it would be nice to know.

Hey, great info for non-navi users. Good post! (I think forum reps are in order! )

Last edited by annunC8; 01-24-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM

the reason it shows up here, because its used for the SVC function of the radio... if you don't know what that is... it's the automatic sound boost function that increase the volume as you drive faster (how much depends on the setting, none, low, mid, high... hit the music icon button a couple of times to get to it in normal usage mode).
...will try that ... so far I thought Jazz doesn't have it

Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Works on my Si but KPH only. I didn't really play around with it to see if there is a way to get MPH.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:05 PM
AND... much of this has been mentioned in older threads too... but they so old... a search won't find them! unless you force the search to look for something beyond a few months ago (there's a 150 return limit).
MODERATORS listen up!!
There's that dang 150 post limit that can show up like a brick wall when trying to find something - someone should do something about the search function on this forum - it really isn't conducive for finding anything.

who are the moderators anyway????

Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
MODERATORS listen up!!
There's that dang 150 post limit that can show up like a brick wall when trying to find something - someone should do something about the search function on this forum - it really isn't conducive for finding anything.

who are the moderators anyway????
You may have better luck posting that here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/site...k-suggestions/

Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
reako Ya think so...? I see and hear many comments on search issues as well as organizational issues.
On other forums the moderator presence is real.

I'm a big fan of the freakworld, but you've got to admit the moderator presence is sourly lacking and quite unresponsive.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
reako Ya think so...? I see and hear many comments on search issues as well as organizational issues.
On other forums the moderator presence is real.

I'm a big fan of the freakworld, but you've got to admit the moderator presence is sourly lacking and quite unresponsive.
Agreed. The only mod I remember posting much is JDMChris and if he's the only one regularly on here, the forum just needs a few more mods.

I've posted a few times in the suggestions forums and practically nothing ever gets discussed. (like there's so much Crap that is sticked or an "announcement" at the top, or that there's no logical organization - with any real potential growth path) and while suggestions have been made on how to improve the forums I think a few members are kind of lost on how to help implement changes. All we can seemingly do is complain to a "deaf ear" and that is pointless/counter productive.

A few of the mods I think need to get together and "help the members ... help the mods" make this forum what I think we are all waiting for. but it takes time & effort...
... But I digress.

Keeping with the theme however.

Good info on the posts. It's always nice to see whats hidden "behind the scenes" on some of the electronics. Goobers mentioned pressing 4 & 6 shows Firmware Versions. I wonder if the '09 has the same FW version as an '11 or if the Sports & Base have he same FW version. Makes me wonder if it's a programmable rom chip inside the radio or not.

~SB

Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Not my pic but it looks like this.

Really nice looking dash, what year Fit is this??

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weeladdie
Really nice looking dash, what year Fit is this??
don't think it is a Fit... Civic, maybe?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah sorry guys. Former Fit owner but I still love Fits so I stuck around. I traded in my Fit for a Civic Si. I was just curious if this trick worked with my radio as well as the Fit.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
HA the impostor... keep an eye out Robin.