2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel/ride vibration issue!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Steering wheel/ride vibration issue!

I may have identified a big issue with the GEs. This may explain why many here and also in Fit reviews experience unacceptable highway dartiness.

My car recently developed steering wheel and ride vibration. I had my wheels balanced (high speed) and still no improvement. My 08 Accord had a similar problem intermittently during speeds 50-? mph where it would vibrate. At driveaccord.net, seems like many other Accord owners experience this and last I heard after 2 years Honda says it has to do with the steering system.

My car not only has the shakes, but it now intermittently pulls to the right, steering weight gets reduced and numb, and of course the aforementioned severe dartiness at highway speeds caused by winds. I've been driving across country the last 3 days, so I've been able to assess everything.

I did a test where I'm doing highway speeds and I lock the steering wheel in place with my knees and hands...then I let the wind and/or road contours affect the car...though the steering wheel is locked straight, my car turns severely right and left which is very dangerous. I have a hard time keeping this thing in the lane. Handling seems to suffer. Other drivers around me have no problem steering with one wrist.

However, after leaving the car shut off for at least a little while, when I start it up and go on the highway again, it could return to completely normal again or vice-versa. On the same road surface, mind you. So this is intermittent.

Anyone else here have any luck with diagnosis?

Last edited by CrystalFiveMT; 01-27-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
I had a problem like this once after I got an alignment on my fit. Turns out the A$$hole who did my alignment forgot to torque the tie rod end into the steering knuckle arm as it was being held on by nothing more than the cotter key. I tightened it up to spec and BAM problem solved.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Was yours an intermittent thing? Sounds like it could be what I'm experiencing. If it's not intermittent though, meaning if yours was bad all the time with the tie rod loose, mine is not.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I may have identified a big issue with the GEs. This may explain why many here and also in Fit reviews experience unacceptable highway dartiness.

My car recently developed steering wheel and ride vibration. I had my wheels balanced (high speed) and still no improvement. My 08 Accord had a similar problem intermittently during speeds 50-? mph where it would vibrate. At driveaccord.net, seems like many other Accord owners experience this and last I heard after 2 years Honda says it has to do with the steering system.

My car not only has the shakes, but it now intermittently pulls to the right, steering weight gets reduced and numb, and of course the aforementioned severe dartiness at highway speeds caused by winds. I've been driving across country the last 3 days, so I've been able to assess everything.

I did a test where I'm doing highway speeds and I lock the steering wheel in place with my knees and hands...then I let the wind and/or road contours affect the car...though the steering wheel is locked straight, my car turns severely right and left which is very dangerous. I have a hard time keeping this thing in the lane. Handling seems to suffer. Other drivers around me have no problem steering with one wrist.

However, after leaving the car shut off for at least a little while, when I start it up and go on the highway again, it could return to completely normal again or vice-versa. On the same road surface, mind you. So this is intermittent.

Anyone else here have any luck with diagnosis?
I have not experienced that behavior at all. That's extreme. The only time I feel the handling is less than good is if my tire pressures aren't even and properly inflated all around. You didn't mention what tires, and how old they are on your car, as well as what psi you keep them at.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely not my tires or psi. Again, it's intermittent, can change while in the middle of driving or overnight. I will check my tie rods.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Two things you also might want to check are play in the steering wheel and the effective load on the power assist system - part of the electronic power steering.

From the God's of Honda

Steering Wheel Rotational Play Check
1. Turn the front wheels to the straight ahead position.
2. Measure how far you can turn the steering wheel left
and right without moving the front wheels.
● If the play is within the limit, the steering gearbox
and the linkage are OK.
● If the play exceeds the limit, adjust the rack guide. If the play is still excessive after
rack guide adjustment, inspect the steering linkage
and steering gearbox.

Rotational play: 0-10 mm (0-0.39 in)
-----------------------------------------------------
Power Assist Check
NOTE: This test should be done with original equipment
tires and wheels at the correct tire pressure.
1. Start the engine, and let it idle.
2. Attach a commercially available spring scale to the
steering wheel. With the engine idling and the vehicle
on a clean, dry floor, pull the scale as shown, and read
it as soon as the tires begin to turn.

Initial turning load: 29 N (3.0 kgf, 6.6 lbf)

3. If the scale reads no more than the specification the
power assist is OK. If it reads more, check these items:
● Steering linkage
● Rack guide adjustment
● EPS system [Electric Power Steering]

Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Was yours an intermittent thing? Sounds like it could be what I'm experiencing. If it's not intermittent though, meaning if yours was bad all the time with the tie rod loose, mine is not.
It was an intermittment thing but it was also acompanied by a popping noise on some hard turns so it was easy to diagnose a loose tierod end or ball joint. A quick looksee proved it wasthe tie rod end. I doubt this is your problem.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
It was an intermittment thing but it was also acompanied by a popping noise on some hard turns so it was easy to diagnose a loose tierod end or ball joint. A quick looksee proved it wasthe tie rod end. I doubt this is your problem.
Yes. Update: The last 2 days driving 1,000 miles my car returned to 100% for the most part, so it wouldn't make sense if something is loose then tightens or attaches again.

Seems likely to be a steering system issue, similar to the last 3 Hondas I've owned. Shame as I don't want to get rid of this car.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
I've had issues in the past but it has always turned out to be tires. the easiest way to diagnose is to drive the same stretch of road a few times and see if you have the same issue. The Stock Tires (I've found) have a tendency to follow the road a bit more than what most people would like. I've noticed this on a few corners and a few areas where the road looks good but has a small crack or two. The car will pull to one side. The winter tires do not have this issue and the only difference is wheels & Tires. (I drive this same route every day heading to work)

~SB

Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Unless maybe differing heat might play a role? Sounds kind of crazy, but the OP should definitely get an alignment done at the very least. Would also take it into honda and get it looked at as a warranty issue.

I know i'm a few months from the last post, but saw this and am not curious as to what the problem was. I haven't had any issues yet BTW, but haven't done lots of highway yet, and the trip i did was in slush and crap so i wouldn't have noticed if it did

Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a tire issue. Tires can seem good at one moment but then change when they get hot. Belt separation causes vibration and wandering like you described.