2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Steering Too Sensitive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Steering Too Sensitive?

On smooth highway above 55 MPH, my Fit has a tendency to wander out of it's lane. It's not a drastic problem, but I like the one finger, cruise control at 64 MPH, highway steering technique. It's not alignment as the steering is neutral, nor is it balance. I suspect that the power assist mechanism is too sensitive. Does anyone know if there are an steering adjustments for this?

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour on the highway?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Its a tiny, light, short wheelbase, narrow, tall car. Its going to be a little wandery. I have heard people say that any number of mods from tires to lowering will help with it. Truthfully, you really should have both hands on the wheel anyway.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
You're not imagining things - the steering is light and has a lightning quick 12.7:1 steering ratio.

And when you get blown around by crosswinds, you'll want those 2 hands on the wheel!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Yes, that's right. I heard about an electrical adjustment to the power steering -know anything? -If they had simply adjusted the steering drag at speeds over 50 that would be fine. Who needs dare-devil steering at 65 MPH?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by littlebigfit
Its a tiny, light, short wheelbase, narrow, tall car. Its going to be a little wandery. I have heard people say that any number of mods from tires to lowering will help with it. Truthfully, you really should have both hands on the wheel anyway.
+1
lowering helps.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by BixLives
Who needs dare-devil steering at 65 MPH?
I do.

ten char

Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
I'm getting sick of these pointless threads. Over a year a go this forum was a lot more productive with detailed DIYs and mods..

Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
I'm getting sick of these pointless threads. Over a year a go this forum was a lot more productive with detailed DIYs and mods..
No shit eh.

If some ass wants to drive with one finger may he wreck and not injure anyone else.

I find ever since I got the Fit it tends to make you want to use both hands at the 10 and 2.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
Um... maybe there just isn't much else people can do in terms of originality of mods and DIYs.

I'm having a hard time just thinking of anything to do.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM
There is a long thread on this, you may find helpful here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ay-speeds.html

The very quick steering bothered me at first, but I like it now. LittleBigFit makes a good point. For what it is I think the Fit is pretty steady. Holding on to the wheel is pretty much required on small cars.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
This is a free country if anyone is tired of pointless threads they are free to go start there own forum where only pointed threads are allowed.

Only a guess but I do not believe that it is fixable. a road surface is not flat. Years of vehicles will form depressions or tracks in the surface. Trucks being the heaviest will from tracks much wider than a Fits.

Take a lighter vehicle, much smaller tire print and it just cannot track.

The above is only a guess.

It's only a pointless thread if it does not apply to me! JIm 0311

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Short wheelbase, light car, quick steering ratio, nature of the beast.

If you want 65mph with one finger on the wheel go get a Crown Vic.

Lowering helps because it messes with all kinds of suspension geometry, I wouldn't really say it's a "benefit" of the modification but i'm sure there's not enough aftermarket support to correct it.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
but i'm sure there's not enough aftermarket support to correct it.
This is not true.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
This is not true.
For GE? PM me info? I have not seen any RCA related items on the net but would love to know more.

Edit: I know you can dial some of it out with toe adjustments...

Last edited by Wanderer.; 06-29-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM
J's Racing Japan... they're like ~$200+ship

Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
J's Racing Japan... they're like ~$200+ship
Noted. Thank you sir.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM
No problem

Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes, probably. -Dumb Question, Can I put a slightly wider tyre on the standard wheel? -nothing crazy, an extra inch. Certainly do not want to lower the car. I could swear I read something about an electrical adjustment on the power steering to tighten it up. -Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
You should be able to put 205/50s on them.

Lowering your car does have its (dis)advantages... some, more than other depending on the brand/model of the springs. I was quite against lowering my car until I read up on it... and eventually decided to do it with Swift springs. I gotta say, the advantages far outway nearly all disadvantages. The only one disadvantage... getting in and out of steep driveways! ouch. I don't intend on pressuring you, it's your call (as if I had to say that).

That being said, I also changed my wheels, 16x7 +43mm... so I have a combination of lowered car via springs, wider tires and wheels with lower offset. Bring it up to speed, pick a direction and let go of the steering... and I find that it tracks quite straight on flat surfaces with no wind. When it does "wander," I can usually tell why (cross wind/uneven road).

"Being sensitive" implies that you are constantly moving the steering wheel yourself. I think you need to break that habit. Constantly attempting to compensate, can cause you to OVER compensate, which requires you to compensate (in the opposite direction). Be more gradual, let it drift a little bit. If you're moving over an inch every 5 seconds... you should be fine.

I understand that with older oversized sedans, you had to constantly do that, and that it required bigger steering changes to affect a small direction change... but we aren't driving that car. We are driving a "modern" (sub?)compact car that appears to have been intended to be "nimble." And you can't be nimble without a sensitive steering wheel.

If you loosen it up (since tightening it would make it more sensitive)... you're going to find that doing OTHER tasks, like turning will be negatively affected. And the last thing you want is the need to avoid an obstacle at 25mph and be unable to turn as sharply as you could've.

Take it from me... I avoided TWO accidents the other week, because I was able to steer myself out of the way.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I do.

ten char
Guess its the steering track causing the bump and sensitivity of the steering. On the other hand, it seems exactly like a caster issue too..just go the the alignment shop and let them fix it....or you can just go for steering parts online and do the repair job on your own.

Quick Reply: Steering Too Sensitive?