2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeeking noise when going into Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Squeeking noise when going into Park

I have a 2010 Fit Sport Automatic, and occasionally when I shift into park, I hear a squeek from the back end. If I had to guess, it's got something to do with the hatch unlocking.

Anyone else have this? Easy to resolve, or should I just take it in.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
One way to tell- reprogram it so that only the drivers door unlocks when you shift into park. Or another reprogramming option is for it to unlock not when you shift into park but when you turn the key off. The owners manual has instructions for these settings.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I'm first going to try the lazy persons verson of that, and un lock the doors manually as I pull into the parking spot

Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm....I've noticed I occasionally get a sound when I stop and put the vehicle into park before shutting off...

But for me, it doesn't sound like it is coming from the rear hatch, it's coincides precisely with the locks unlocking as I shift into park, but it seems to be coming from all around me. Happens so intermittently and infrequently...might be tempature related.

I do have my Fit programmed to unlock everything as I put it into park.

Also I would call it a "squeak" but it almost sounds "electronic"...at first I thought it was the stereo, or the speakers picking up static when suddenly all the doors got the signal to unlock...

I don't know if we are hunting the same animal. At this point for me, it would need to happen more frequently...

Please keep us posted as to what you discover. I could be experiencing the same sound...maybe I'm just misjudging it's ultimate origin.

Next time it happens I'll try to be more observant, try to get it to repeat, and try to duplicate.

I honestly thought perhaps the sound was bleed coming through the speakers.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Sounds like the same thing. It coincides with the doors unlocking when shifting into park. I hear the sounds of the front doors unlocking, then hear the squeek.

I'm 100% certain it's not the radio... because I drive with the radio off.

It's happened around 1 or two times since I've posted this, so not super reproducable. And I've only manually unlocked the doors when pulling into a parking spot a couple of times, but havne't heard it yet.

I normally forget to do it.

D*MN all intermittent issues!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Well let me know if you ever figure out what the problem is. It happened again to me last night...seems "maybe" to happen more often when it is cold. I couldn't get it to repeat, even though when I heard it I immediately tried locking and unlocking several times....

It does happen, but to me doesn't sound like it is coming from the rear hatch...again I could be wrong...sounds more like the passenger door...

Also it's so intermittent that I can't define it as a problem "yet". Sure if I took it to the dealership and mentioned, I'd just get the typical "We couldn't replicate the symptoms" response....

So I'm stuck either just living with it, or waiting until it happens more frequently. As it is now? It doesn't really bother me.....might just be an atmospheric quirk...as long as nothing is prematurely wearing out...I can live with it...

Last edited by fitchet; 02-11-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Forgot the Part about throwing the ring in the volcano
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, if it's just not enough lube in the locking mechanism, it's possible my rear hatch has the problem, but one of your other doors has the same problem

I'm going to take a look and see how easy it is to add some lube back there, and if I can access it, I'll do that and see if the problem goes away.

I'll report back if I make any progress.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
I think I have the same intermittent squeak, even though I have the manual trans. It happens sometimes when I turn off the ignition, which I have programmed to unlock all the doors.

I've gotten somewhat used to it, even though it's intermittent, but I do think it's likely the hatch lock unlocking.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
It's normal guys. Mine has done it since I've owned the car (2 years). It has something to do with the locks unlocking as shifting into park. Doesn't hurt anything so don't mess with it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
How is it normal? It's not supposed to squeak, so there's nothing wrong with trying to lube what's squeaking. That said, I'm leaving mine be at least for now. Maybe I'll address it with the dealer before my warranty expires.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
How is it normal? It's not supposed to squeak, so there's nothing wrong with trying to lube what's squeaking. That said, I'm leaving mine be at least for now. Maybe I'll address it with the dealer before my warranty expires.
I believe it's electrical, something lube won't fix. I could be wrong though.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I believe it's electrical, something lube won't fix. I could be wrong though.
Well, the thing is, it's intermittent, at least with mine, and it didn't start to show up until well after new, so it can't be "normal". Mine sounds like a mid-low pitch squeal, as if it needs lubing.

I'll have to listen for it again and see if it happens without the doors unlocking.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Mine happened just unlock the doors with the remote the other day, so I think that nails it. I just need to find the time to look for what to lubricate and give it a shot.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 AM
As well, my friend was in my Fit, and it made the annoying squeek noise, and he said his Civic, purchased within a couple of months of my car, did the same thing when the doors are unlocked. So the problem isn't just applicable to the Fit.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
about 1 out of every 100 times i lock my doors, the hatch lock squeaks, quite distinctly.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Hmm....I've noticed I occasionally get a sound when I stop and put the vehicle into park before shutting off...

But for me, it doesn't sound like it is coming from the rear hatch, it's coincides precisely with the locks unlocking as I shift into park, but it seems to be coming from all around me. Happens so intermittently and infrequently...might be tempature related.

I do have my Fit programmed to unlock everything as I put it into park.

Also I would call it a "squeak" but it almost sounds "electronic"...at first I thought it was the stereo, or the speakers picking up static when suddenly all the doors got the signal to unlock...

I don't know if we are hunting the same animal. At this point for me, it would need to happen more frequently...

Please keep us posted as to what you discover. I could be experiencing the same sound...maybe I'm just misjudging it's ultimate origin.

Next time it happens I'll try to be more observant, try to get it to repeat, and try to duplicate.

I honestly thought perhaps the sound was bleed coming through the speakers.
I think I have the same intermittent squeak, even though I have the manual trans. It happens sometimes when I turn off the ignition, which I have programmed to unlock all the doors.

I've gotten somewhat used to it, even though it's intermittent, but I do think it's likely the hatch lock unlocking.
I get it in the colder months with the doors when I turn the key off (5MT) and the doors unlock. Definitely related to the doors.

~SB

Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone been able to track down what this IS? And/Or remedy it? The sound is happening more and more often with me...

I can easily ignore it...but if it can be fixed either through maintenance..lubing or replacement...warranty repair...I'd go that route...

But my concern is that if it is the locking motors or mechanisms, then replacement wouldn't make too much of difference. If Honda replaced one, more or all of the mechanisms with the exact same type mechanisms, then it would just become a matter of time before the sound came back...

So just wondering if anyone has had any success making this sound go away?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I get it in the colder months with the doors when I turn the key off (5MT) and the doors unlock. Definitely related to the doors.

~SB
There's no rhyme or reason for mine. In fact, I haven't noticed mine in seemingly a while. I've heard it just as frequently in Southern California where temps range from 35º - 100º (117º last Sept), and in upstate NY, where it's been the usual cold winter.

I have confidence someone on this site will identify a solution.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Happened once in two years to me and it was pretty cold out. Hasn't happened since, even during this exceptionally cold winter. I wouldn't worry unless it's happening all the time, in which case it will be easy to figure out. May not be a cheap fix, but it'll be easier to diagnose. Btw- I remember mine sounding like a whining noise, but it for sure seemed like the locks. I have it programmed to open all up when into park.

Dan

Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
I have confidence someone on this site will identify a solution.
No knock on this site, but this thread has existed for 2 months and nobody has definitively been able to identify exactly where or what the problem is, and/or been willing to attempt a solution.

Myself included. I'm far too lazy and busy...to want to try to get to lock mechanisms to try lubricating them.

It also still happens far too intermittently for me to try warranty or dealership repair. My fear being even if I did? The Cure could become worse than the poison...The Idea of doors or hatch's being taken apart to replace or lubricate motors...doesn't appeal to me...

At this point? I'm resigned to the reality that it's just a "sound" the vehicle is going to make. All vehicles have "quirks" or sounds. I can live with this.

Quick Reply: Squeeking noise when going into Park