2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
If it's the same noise as the whirry noise I hear from the engine bay under load at low rpms, that would explain it. Mine was there when pretty new and just recently got a little louder.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I guess what I can do is sit and wait for that mail to come!!!! =(

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
What irks me, is that I find out about this today, but I'll still have to wait a month to find out if my Fit is affected, then schedule a service appointment and lose a day out of work waitng for the repair. In the meantime, what should I do? Should I stop driving the car now? It's not as if I have another car to drive, so I don't have much choice.
Well, think of it this way: if they waited until March to release this and said then that they could get you in right away, you'd be driving around without knowing about this and you wouldn't have any problem with that. So keep driving. Based on the number of cases, it's not exactly like every Fit built is immediately going to stop working in the next month just because a press release was issued. I'm not too worried.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
They took a year to study the problem... and as they've said it's not a safety issue. Keep driving as normal and don't sweat it, if you get recalled go in and get taken care of by Honda.

Almost all of us (it's an 09-10 issue) should be under warranty anyways.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by z06dustin
They took a year to study the problem... and as they've said it's not a safety issue. Keep driving as normal and don't sweat it, if you get recalled go in and get taken care of by Honda.

Almost all of us (it's an 09-10 issue) should be under warranty anyways.
If my warranty is over since I have around 75k miles on my fit already, will they still do this fix for free or will I have to pay for it?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TWGE08
If my warranty is over since I have around 75k miles on my fit already, will they still do this fix for free or will I have to pay for it?
don't sweat it, a recall isn't affected by how many miles you have. it's a potential problem that they want to correct on your car

Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM
don't most of you hate your local Honda techs? don't even trust them for a simple oil change? too bad they're the only one who are authorized to do this internal engine fix... LOL looks like a lot of sleepless nights then after

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 02-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I just finished reading the press release that honda gave out and it looks like there is a website and phone # that you can check but it wont be updated until march also.

"Honda owners can go to www.recalls.honda.com or call (800) 999-1009, and select option 4."

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/17/h...ears-97k-in-u/

Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Just called my dealership and my phone call l was the first they have had and have no idea what I'm talking about.. But should find out soon enough and they will call me back

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Just to have the exact official wording here on-site:

Statement by American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Regarding Lost Motion Spring Recall: 2009-2010 Fit

TORRANCE, Calif. – February 16, 2011 – Honda will recall 97,201 model year 2009-2010 Fit vehicles in the U.S. to replace the lost motion springs, components within the engine valvetrain. The lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine damage or stalling. No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this defect.
Honda is announcing this recall to encourage all owners of affected vehicles to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda by mail. Notification to customers will begin in early March 2011.
When Honda identifies concerns of this nature, nothing is more important to the company than fulfilling our obligation and responsibility to alert our customers. To this end in addition to contacting customers by mail, in early March, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicle requires repair by going on-line or calling. Honda owners can go to www.recalls.honda.com or call (800) 999-1009, and select option 4.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
but I'll still have to wait a month to find out if my Fit is affected,
they say they're recalling 97,000 09-10 fits.... that sounds like pretty much every single 2009, 2010 fit sold in the u.s.

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
don't most of you hate your local Honda techs? don't even trust them for a simple oil change? too bad they're the only one who are authorized to do this internal engine fix..
i had the same exact thought.

Last edited by spin out; 02-17-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Damn, right around 8k miles I started hearing a lot more valvetrain noise at low load cruising. I have been blaming it on Castrol Syntec this whole time.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Ugh...Yeah...as stated above, I barely trust the Honda Techs to change my oil, let alone open the engine up and place new springs in it...

Can I take a moment to feel sorry for myself? First new car I buy in a decade...I do massive research, and pay a premium vs. similar vehicles, because it IS a Honda, and it becomes involved in a massive Engine related recall.

This sucks...plain and simple. Even if it is totally adressable news of this recall reduces value...

I've supported Honda for decades but this is a massive, massive fail.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Lovely. Hope it doesn't take too long to fix, or they give me a loaner. Still don't think i'll be babying it. If it goes it goes. If it doesn't it doesn't.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by belfastcowboy
it is responsible to give ones car a good work-out
Originally Posted by huisj
Well, think of it this way: if they waited until March to release this and said then that they could get you in right away, you'd be driving around without knowing about this and you wouldn't have any problem with that. So keep driving. Based on the number of cases, it's not exactly like every Fit built is immediately going to stop working in the next month just because a press release was issued. I'm not too worried.
Originally Posted by spin out
they say they're recalling 97,000 09-10 fits.... that sounds like pretty much every single 2009, 2010 fit sold in the u.s.

i had the same exact thought.
Cowboy - I will try harder.

I cannot believe the paranoia this has caused. Hell I am going to forget about it til I get the letter. It was running fine yesterday and I expect it will tomorrow too.

Whining about lost work? Any dealer worth his salt has shuttle service around here or a loaner. Now if I had a job I could get time off. Retirement is a bitch.

Spinout - we all have the same engine so of course they have to recall everyone.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Ugh...Yeah...as stated above, I barely trust the Honda Techs to change my oil, let alone open the engine up and place new springs in it...

Can I take a moment to feel sorry for myself? First new car I buy in a decade...I do massive research, and pay a premium vs. similar vehicles, because it IS a Honda, and it becomes involved in a massive Engine related recall.

This sucks...plain and simple. Even if it is totally adressable news of this recall reduces value...

I've supported Honda for decades but this is a massive, massive fail.
What's happened that you've lost trust in your local techs? Mine here are top notch, but maybe I was just lucky. Also, there are literally tens of thousands of parts that go into making a car, freaking out over a tiny little spring is just a little over the top.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
SO it sounds like our cars will be fine as long as they are still running. What I mean is, according to what you guys have talked about, if the springs break, the engine stops running. If the engine still runs, that must mean that springs are not broken, and have not damaged the engine yet. I guess we can also assume that if the engine is destroyed before the springs get replaced (and there is more damage as a result) Honda will have to repair or replace everything -right? They know about the problem and I'm sure they will be responsible for everything concerning it. I read on other sites that other Honda owners who have had major recalls have been given loaner vehicles from their dealership while their car was in the shop for a week. I'm not sure how long the spring replacement will take (probably a while), but my guess is that we will all be looked after properly - not stranted without transportation for a week.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nfs480
What's happened that you've lost trust in your local techs? Mine here are top notch, but maybe I was just lucky. Also, there are literally tens of thousands of parts that go into making a car, freaking out over a tiny little spring is just a little over the top.
Oh come on! I've loved my Fit. Just a day ago, I was posting how satisfied I've been.

I know there are literally tens of thousands of parts in an automobile. BUT this is the freakin' ENGINE...you know, the HEART of the vehicle. This is Honda ADMITTING that failure of this "tiny spring" could result in engine stalls and/or ENGINE DAMAGE...

Excuse me, but I think it's pretty significant...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Spinout - we all have the same engine so of course they have to recall everyone.
that was pretty much my point.
my comment was in response to "uncle gary" saying he'd wait to see if "his car was affected."

Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Oh come on! I've loved my Fit. Just a day ago, I was posting how satisfied I've been.

I know there are literally tens of thousands of parts in an automobile. BUT this is the freakin' ENGINE...you know, the HEART of the vehicle. This is Honda ADMITTING that failure of this "tiny spring" could result in engine stalls and/or ENGINE DAMAGE...

Excuse me, but I think it's pretty significant...
It's significant, i'll give you that. I mean having it fixed by Honda shouldn't be a big deal at all. It's going to be ok! lol

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall