2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Engine Click

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Annoying Engine Click

I know I've seen threads on this before a while ago,(but to save me from searching for it) my engine in idol makes a clicking noise n I hate it... Is it because of loose valves or something?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Some people report the sound going away with a valve adjustment, and I've heard others get it FROM a valve adjustment. A vast majority of the GE8s seem to make this noise, so honestly, I don't know what to think. My Honda dealer said it was the injectors, which seems to be the common BS line they are told to feed people.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM
If the noise is a rhythmic light ticking sound it may be injectors. There are, however, many other noises that may or may not be normal. Loose valves are one, a purge solenoid for the evap system may be one, broken valve springs would make noise. Unfortunately it is very difficult in a forum setting to know what noise you are hearing. Have you taken it to either a dealer or a knowledgeable technician to listen to it? Have you compared it to other Fits like yours?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Hm, yeah the ticking is fast and consistent. I swear sometimes its a little louder then others as well. I have not taking it to get it checked out because I'm really lazy and hate going anywhere before or after work. But I found a video on youtube sounds just like this, same thing. YouTube - Fit Engine Idle

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pith
Hm, yeah the ticking is fast and consistent. I swear sometimes its a little louder then others as well. I have not taking it to get it checked out because I'm really lazy and hate going anywhere before or after work. But I found a video on youtube sounds just like this, same thing. YouTube - Fit Engine Idle
If my Fit sounded like that I would either:

1. Turn it off and tow it to the dealer
2. Rejoice Honda finally got a diesel it it.
3. Get a better mic for my cam.

That video sounds horrible, if yours sounds like that to you in real life a dealer needs to check it.

b

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 PM
LOL... but yeah dog, in the video the ticking is Deeper n sounds louder then it does in person for me. But ya, its probably the camera... the dudes using like a phone I bet, n he has it all close making the sound more muffled n what not.. But I just seen that recall thread 2 seconds ago, and read the article... I'm about to call my dealer and see whatsup... It's actually been makin the noise since I got it, I'm hoping not actually doing something about it earlier messed anything further up

Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
We have three fits in the family and they all have a light sound. My 09 just recently got quite a bit louder. I took it in to the dealer and they performed the recall(springs ) and said I had a bad spark plug and coil. After some force it was covered under warranty and the sound is nearly gone. Have them check the coils first? The problem didn't show on the scangauge. I hope this helps

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely taking it in to get looked at and ill mention about the coil, thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Must be a Honda thing, for what it's worth, NSX's have loud valves and makes a ticking sound as well. I just got a loud exhaust to cover it up.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
my car sounded like that from day one, and it has 22k miles on it so far,

iam due for the recall tho.. i wonder if it would fix the problem.. either way iam not too bothered by the sound, i thought it was normal actually.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
My ticking sound has been amplified recently, albeit intermittently. When I heard of the recall, I thought for sure the lost motion spring was indeed the culprit. Sounds like many owners have this sound, also while driving, while the engine is under load, say in 4th gear accelerating, I hear a busy faint fan sound from the engine.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I may be way off here, but my car had a similar "tick" that would get faster as RPM increased. I put my car on a lift to listen and see where the sound was coming and it was my water pump. I could also see little droplets indicating a slight coolant leak. So I bought a used water pump from a local junk yard, swapped the old one out for the new one, and the noise and leak were remedied.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 03-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I had zero ticking before the LMS recall was performed and now, after the recall it drives me crazy. I'm going back to the dealer Monday. I sure hope they can eliminate or quiet the f'ing noise.