2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can Honda 'Cooperize' the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by blazej
Why not DIY?

Let’s say:
$18,500 for Fit Sport, A/T, w/Navi
$1,300 for power moonroof (some people have put one in that look great IMO, search for pics)
$1,300 for leather seat covers all around & nice floor mats
$500 for sound deadening professionally installed (more of a guess than others)
$200 for HID lights

Totals $21,800 for the car, with no mechanical improvements.

Acura wouldn’t put out a $20K car, and Honda wouldn’t bother to sell the car for $20K, they may consider one for $22K, but what’s the point? They aren’t losing out on many sales.
I believe the RSX had most of these items In compact hatch form.

Re: the moonroof - the Fit is on the crumply end of the IIHS's roof strength tests:
Minicars: Roof strength evaluations: Minicars
Small Cars: Roof strength evaluations: Small cars

I'm not sure I'd compromise it further by cutting a big hole in the top, an apparently Honda isn't either.

Minicars: Roof strength evaluations: Minicars
Small Cars: Roof strength evaluations: Small cars

As for leather, 450 will get you a set of leather Clazzios. Various manufacturers make kits to add seat heaters. Installation of the Clazzios is an easy DIY, and takes only 2-3 hours for a first timer to install.

HIDS are illegal, though the Fit needs some headlight help for sure.

Sound deadening is typically heavy, and a large part of the noise issue is the hatch form. I wonder how a sound-deadening layer on a cargo cover would do.

That said, if you want a safer, more refined car, the new Civic may be worth consideration. Better fuel economy, more features and options, and more power. NHTSA safety testing became more stringent this year, as did the requirements for IIHS safety pick. A newly introduced car should perform better in this regard than even a 2008 era automobile. Honda has not opted to test the Fit under the new standard, likely because the Versa, Cvic, and Camry were given overall ratings of 2 stars, 3 stars, and 3 stars respectively.

The Fiesta got 4 stars though, so it should be doable for a Honda, and they showed no qualms about having the Accord tested.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM
I would gladly have paid more for better sound deadening, leather, better carpeting and moon roof. But, at the same time I can understand Honda keeping it what it is: reliable and inexpensive.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
The problem is the expectation on the part of the american consumer. A lot of people shelled out $19-$20K for a hatchback or (4 dr sedan) with 20hp more than the FIT, leather, and a sunroof just 10 years ago. Because it was an Acura... an additional $1-2K got you 45(ish) more hp. Today, a vehicle like that would be in the 24-26K range if not more. Other countries have "entry" level vehicles optioned out like this but the American public has never gotten onboard with efficient luxury without the luxury Marquee. Every place else, the Integra was a Honda except North America. why? because in NA, honda can't be luxurious. Same with Toyota & Nissan but at least they are making up for it by providing some level of luxury in an economical car (since you won't find an Infiniti Versa or a Lexus Yaris.)

~SB

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM
There were a bunch of reasons Honda created Acura as a separate brand.

1. To distinguish it from Honda, so people didn't see it as a Honda but as a new brand to compete with Mercedes & BMW.

2. Something to do with CAFE standards- I believe that new brands were a different issue so Honda could sell cars under a different nameplate and get benefits.

3. Possibly instead of adding cars to existing Honda dealerships they made money selling new dealerships for a new brand?

And yes, people at the time saw Honda as an economy brand, not a luxury brand...

Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
and my Bride could quit grousing about a lack of amenities when we take the 'little' car. I'm aiming at a more mature, sophisticated market here.
There is your problem. Don't be a cheap @ss and just get the infinity coupe.

Bugs, minis, or fits, no matter how much make-up is on it, is not a sophisticated mans car. It never will be.

Clearly YOU should get what you like if it is for you. Obviously you have good taste since you own a Fit and a Rubicon. My previous ride was a 2004 LJ, nicely pimped. What does she think of the jeep?

Last edited by jondotcom; 04-27-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Oddly Jon, certain small cars never had 'cheap' as part of the perception; things like the VW Bugs that I drove in my youth. A buddy who has the same car history always says his Fit reminds him of a Beetle.
I'll have to look at some other choices, but the combination of great handling and huge practicality (plus reliability, gas mileage, and a dealer within walking distance) have kept me focused on the Fit. What makes sense is to run it for 150K and then start worrying about it, but I wouldn't mind a little plusher ride.
My bride like a Jeep ride on a nice day, but she hates manuals and can't drive it. TJ Jeeps are only nominally 'cars' in any case; a John Deere with a heater is closer to the truth, but I love mine. The Fit was purchased to keep some miles off the Jeep and, of course, the gas issue.
Moon

Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I had a '00 TJ. John Deere with a pop-tent would be accurate.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Check out the New Ford Focus...My Ford Touch, Sync, Leather, sunroof,...just a few dollars more...

Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
The fit is really the most sensible mini car out there if you are thinking budget.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by jondotcom
The fit is really the most sensible mini car out there if you are thinking budget.
I agree conditionally... First most people are thinking budget, or German luxury autos would be far more prevalent! So by budget, you really mean "on a tight budget." a used car would be better almost every time.

An alternative that may be worth checking out for new cars is the Scion xD. Intellichoice puts it at almost the exact same 5 yea ownership cost as a Fit Base, and less than a Fit Sport. It's got a bit larger engine, same MPG, and similar accommodations. For the price of a Fit base, you get the mP3 connection, 300 watt stereo, maplights, armrest, 10 more HP and significantly more torque. On the downside, cargo room isnt nearly as good, and the styling isn't as well executed as the Fit (IMHO). Still worth a look for comparison, and like all Small Hondas and 'Yotas, it should be as reliable as a loyal Border Collie. Always nice to have other options to consider... Sometimes a certaincar just speaks to you when you sit in it and drive it, and you just kinda shrug and say "damn the automags, full speed ahead."

I've found few vehicles as comfortable to drive as a much maligned gmc Sonoma... I probably would have kept it if it weren't already falling apart at 15,000 miles.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I agree conditionally...
An alternative that may be worth checking out for new cars is the Scion xD. Intellichoice puts it at almost the exact same 5 yea ownership cost as a Fit Base, and less than a Fit Sport. It's got a bit larger engine, same MPG, and similar accommodations. For the price of a Fit base, you get the mP3 connection, 300 watt stereo, maplights, armrest, 10 more HP and significantly more torque. On the downside, cargo room isnt nearly as good, and the styling isn't as well executed as the Fit (IMHO). Still worth a look for comparison, and like all Small Hondas and 'Yotas, it should be as reliable as a loyal Border Collie. Always nice to have other options to consider... Sometimes a certaincar just speaks to you when you sit in it and drive it, and you just kinda shrug and say "damn the automags, full speed ahead."

I've found few vehicles as comfortable to drive as a much maligned gmc Sonoma... I probably would have kept it if it weren't already falling apart at 15,000 miles.

But intellichoice and other similar articles don't factor in reality. I got my fit sport brand new for 15,738, and my insurance is stupid cheap. With the scion, you get the same fan base as the civic, which makes them inconsistently priced at original sale, expensive to insure, and ruins their resale value. Those are just a few things articles fail to mention. The adult following on the FIT changes a lot.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
The xD seems to have the same driver base as the Fit. Pricing is consistent because of the No-haggle dealie. I doubt that insurance would be much different. Also, not sure who this Civic crowd is... It's rare to see the Ricey-Civic boys these days.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
The Scion xD was unimpressive due to interior space and trunk. For a small car, it felt a little like a truck too. I was probably in the 2009 model when I was buying. The xB felt like a bakery truck. I have to admit that felt cavernous inside. To each his own.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Thumbs up

This thread caught my attention because I had a MCS before the Fit. Now, it is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the Fit, its not even close! It does handle better but that margin isn't as great but MINI offers several suspension upgrades for the car through the option list, along with many other alla carte' options like rear fogs, many different interiors including leather, half leather, chrome inside and out, etc, etc, etc.

My advice would be hitting the aftermarket for the interior and they should be able to install the seat heaters too, someone here with an orange revolution one had this combo done to his car, can't remember his screen name but its really sharp lookin'. As far as suspension goes, there's many routes to go, Swifts are the closest to an OEM look and feel from what I've read and its the route that I'm going. Wheels are plentiful for sure but if your going for that OEM look, check out the Honda and Mugen wheels for sure, nice stuff!

HIDs are $60 through DDM Tuning, as well as yellow fog bulbs from Nokya....wait, check out the JDM exterior mods section here, as well as all the other forums we've got here, I'm sure you'll mod the Fit to taste, check out our sigs for more idea's, I've got a couple as a matter of fact

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by jondotcom

But intellichoice and other similar articles don't factor in reality. I got my fit sport brand new for 15,738, and my insurance is stupid cheap. With the scion, you get the same fan base as the civic, which makes them inconsistently priced at original sale, expensive to insure, and ruins their resale value. Those are just a few things articles fail to mention. The adult following on the FIT changes a lot.
They have that no-haggle pricing on Scions...not that it's a good thing or bad, but if anything the pricing will be very consistent. My other car is an xD...the insurance is $14/year more than the Fit.

It doesn't come close to the Fit's cargo space, but otherwise there is a lot to love about the xD.