2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem started with a leaky tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Problem started with a leaky tire

So it all started with tpms lights went on. I took the car to Discount Tires have them fix the flat. Then they start telling me the locks I bought for the car have stripped the lug bolts they were on. . . . and they did fix my tire. (I wonder why did they messed with all of my wheels when I only asked them to fix one leaky tire?)
Then they gave me a referral to another local mechanic shop to fix the lugs.
I went to the shop and after 1hr or so of them hammering on my hub. they said they replaced all the bad lugs on the left side. To my surprise, they didn't charge a dime. I went oh cool, but oh wait. this is a little fishy. They didn't give me a receipt or anything at all. But Discount Tire did.
On my way back home I started noticing a whirling noise from the driver side front wheel.
After my research on the net. I think the local shop have messed up my bearings.(just my suspicion)
So now I plan to call Discount Tire Monday(tomorrow 04/25/11) to let them know what happened and get an answer from them. on Tuesday plan on take my car to my mechanic for him to look at.

Big burning question is: If there is something wrong with my bearing, is Discount Tire and the other shop responsible for the damage? If they deny, how do I hold them accountable? How do I get them to pay for the damage? Fees, Labors, Parts involved for the new fix?

I know this is a lot to ask guys, but I really need suggestions, ideas, plans.
Thanks for reading.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Sounds like Discount Tire took responsibility for the lug bolt damage by sending you to the repair shop of their choice and paying for it. That is why the repair shop didn't give you paperwork, their customer was DT and bill was settled by them. I would let both DT and the repair shop know about your damage and get them both to agree on how to proceed. Ultimately though DT is responsible since repair shop was their sub contractor and you were given no choice previously where to fix.

If I was you I would push them both for a Honda dealer repair using genuine Honda parts paid for by them. This way you know work is done properly. If that shop couldn't replace lug bolts without causing damage I wouldn't trust them to change my wipers blades let alone a wheel bearing.

I actually had WalMart damage lug bolts on my previous car. Same scenario, WM gave me a business card to a repair shop a few miles away. They replaced 4 or 5 lug bolts and then sent me on my way without any charge or paperwork.

_

Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome info! thanks so much man!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
P.S. actually I am in humble too. Its the DT on E1960. and the repair shop is A&J near the lake.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
went to DT and A&J again today. A&J says the noise could be caused by the tire. DT guy says "no way, we didn't even touch that tire." DT is still blaming on the locks I got for the car. But DT is still trying to get me to A&J and fix the problem there. And they are saying now there are 2lug bolts messed up on the right front. and 1 at the right rear. I feel lost.

HELP.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by jinjinweiwei
went to DT and A&J again today. A&J says the noise could be caused by the tire. DT guy says "no way, we didn't even touch that tire." DT is still blaming on the locks I got for the car. But DT is still trying to get me to A&J and fix the problem there. And they are saying now there are 2lug bolts messed up on the right front. and 1 at the right rear. I feel lost. HELP.
Sounds like you're starting to get the song and dance runaround. Both DT and A&J want to blame the problem on the other and confuse you in the process.

This complicates things, somehow you need to get both of them together with yourself present to resolve. Maybe a conference call or have one of the service managers drive to the other location. Not more than a mile between both shops anyway.

For you very important to hold to your guns. Under no circumstances let anybody say the noise is normal or was pre-existing. Be extra firm to both but still stay civil and polite. If you get angry or nasty they will probably use it as a reason to send you away. The only answer you need from both of them is who will pay to fix your car that was damaged by both of them. Remind DT that you were given no other option for lug bolts repair. They sent you to that shop, they paid that shop due to damage they caused on your car. They need to stand behind that shop or convince that shop to pay your repairs. Dismiss DT's claim that damage was caused by your wheel locks. If that was true then they wouldn't have sent you to A&J and paid for the repair.

Also if you are very young, female or both then would help to bring an older male with you as father or uncle or something. People will often try to get over on kids or younger adults because they think you don't know the rules and what should be done. If you want I can be your stand in father, send PM. Shows you have support on your side and won't cave in to their bad handling of your service.

_

Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
So it all started with tpms lights went on. I took the car to Discount Tires have them fix the flat. Then they start telling me the locks I bought for the car have stripped the lug bolts they were on. . . . and they did fix my tire. (I wonder why did they messed with all of my wheels when I only asked them to fix one leaky tire?)
Then they gave me a referral to another local mechanic shop to fix the lugs.
I went to the shop and after 1hr or so of them hammering on my hub. they said they replaced all the bad lugs on the left side. To my surprise, they didn't charge a dime. I went oh cool, but oh wait. this is a little fishy. They didn't give me a receipt or anything at all. But Discount Tire did.
On my way back home I started noticing a whirling noise from the driver side front wheel.
After my research on the net. I think the local shop have messed up my bearings.(just my suspicion)
So now I plan to call Discount Tire Monday(tomorrow 04/25/11) to let them know what happened and get an answer from them. on Tuesday plan on take my car to my mechanic for him to look at.

Big burning question is: If there is something wrong with my bearing, is Discount Tire and the other shop responsible for the damage? If they deny, how do I hold them accountable? How do I get them to pay for the damage? Fees, Labors, Parts involved for the new fix?

I know this is a lot to ask guys, but I really need suggestions, ideas, plans.
Thanks for reading.
This story is one of many caused by tire jockeys with big impact wrenches and small brains pretending to be the fastest NASCAR pit crew they can be. Pretty obviously the initial installation was waaaaaay over torqued.

Torque wrenches are not nearly as fast or as cool to these pretenders, but there is no possible way they can hit the correct 80 ft-lbs torque with that BIG yellow IR impact. Customers need to insist or do it themselves. FWIW, any time I need a new set of tires, I put the vehicle up on stands and all the tire shop does is to dismount the old tires, and mount/balance the new ones. I'll use a medium size impact wrench to loosen but never to tighten.

geo

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
I am to the point sick and tired listen to they tell story to me. And now they started pointing fingers. why can't one of them just come out and admit their fault. pride is so stupid.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Five letters, starts with M.

Ends with ONEY.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Threaten to take it online, and contact corporate. At least for Discount Tire, corporate yelling at the manager might get some action. At least for Honda corporate they take customer service issues seriously.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by jadr09fit
Threaten to take it online, and contact corporate. At least for Discount Tire, corporate yelling at the manager might get some action. At least for Honda corporate they take customer service issues seriously.

why threaten? i would just do it. and screw online i would jsut call their customer affairs department and bitch like how an angry dog barks at the mailman.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
I am gonna try one more time with them. See if I can get some sort of answer(thruth) from them. If not, I am gonna call DT customer affairs and have them handle this case from that point.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
I called yesterday looking for the guy who wants me to call. and he was off yesterday. and I just called now they say "he is not gonna be there till 11." ok....

Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Idiots with air wrenches are a hazard to your lugs.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tlwiz
Idiots with air wrenches are a hazard to your lugs.
wrd

Update:
Just called DT again. now they are saying the guy is not gonna be there till after 1hr.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
DT is a pain.

I watched them install Yokohamas on a 1st gen Odyssey I had before the Fit. They did it twice as they got the directional tires on backwards.

Next day when I went out one tire was flat due to a valve stem they had almost pulled in half when they installed it. There were 2 stripped lugs on that tire. Checked the others and there was at least one stripped lug on each wheel.

DT tried to tell me it was a problem with Hondas and Toyotas: the studs are too soft! and that it was impossible for them to strip anything due to the wonder of their torque sticks.

I went back and forth between DT and the shop they sent me to for repairs about 3 times. Each time it was repaired I found additional stripped studs (the repair shop they sent me to was lousy). I finally threw a fit in the store. The manager did refund me the price of the tires (cash) and I went and got a set of Michelins at NTB. NTB torques the lug nuts with a nice old fashioned non-power torque wrench.

Be sure after you're finished with DT you or someone you trust rechecks it. You could be stuck at another tire dealer with stripped studs, or worse, on the road somewhere with a flat.

Edit:

On the noise from you drivers front wheel, there's a thin metal splash-guard shield on the back-side of the brake rotor. If they bent this while replacing studs it might explain the noise. Unless they mangled it they should be able to bend it back.

Last edited by Steve244; 04-28-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well. I decided to go to honda dealer today. Have them look at it. They found my studs have been cross threaded.(guess who!) and one nut was seized on the stud (guess who). Everything was fixed at Honda didn't cost a cent. They replaced the lugs and nuts. (well except the noise. I will check that splash guard Steve244 and thanks for the info) So I think I am gonna use that DT corporate number tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 AM
P.S. actually I am in humble too. Its the DT on E1960. and the repair shop is A&J near the lake.
Humble Texas?? I lost track of a friend from there Jerry Jones, he was a collision guy.

I learned from my motor home 10 studs @ $10 each plus installation! I always ask, do you use a torque wrench to tighten lugnuts? If no they no tocha my car. No magic sticks either! They want to charge $95 an hour for professional work, let them work like professionals

When dealing with company's we have to make the phone calls. when no satisfaction is derived. A letter must be sent to the CEO. No emails a registered letter return receipt requested. Keep a copy of the letter and reciept for mailing it.
JIm 0311