General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tire sidewall crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Tire sidewall crack

Got this sidewall crack damage, its about 3 inches long but luckily not deep enough to show any body plies. Went to tire shop to get a new tire and they said that its only cosmetic and should be no problem driving it. They said its not deep and doesn't show any body plies.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:48 PM
They're probably right but if it was my tire, I'd replace it. Just keep an eye on it if you're going to keep it.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
id replace it too.

which tire shop did you go to?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 AM
That is actually what I'm thinking too just to be safe. For less than $100 i think it is the wise thing to do
I went to a local tire shop not big name like Firestone.
Is Nexen tire a good one?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
id replace it too.

which tire shop did you go to?
i was actually surprised that they didn't try to sell me a new tire instead they told me that my tire is still good.
Does this mean that this tire shop is honest and will not rip you off?

Old 01-05-2018, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
There was a good reason for this crack to develop.
I had a motorcycle tire that had similar crack and eventually it let the air out, luckily I saw it at a gas station.

Don't risk your life. You don't want a blow out at freeway speed killing self or someone else.

Last edited by john21031; 01-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by utsug
Is Nexen tire a good one?
For the Fit you're probably referring to the CP641 tire and they seem to have decent reviews.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Yikes! What brand tire is that?! Have you checked the other tires? As well as the back sides of them to make sure they're in good condition too? If it were my car, I'd replace it.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
No way I'd keep that tire.
I don't care what the tire shop said.
Tires are IMO a safety issue. Big safety issue. And our vehicles put amazing demands upon the tires.
It may be cosmetic at this point....but for how many more seconds?
I would think just like a fault line in the earth a crack that big could change the dynamics of the entire tire.
I would not wait until it IS leaking air, or IS an obvious danger. IMO that was horrible advice from a tire shop.
My only question in that situation is whether I'm buying a new set of 4, or set of 2.
But I'm definitely not driving on that tire.

PS.
How long have you had the tires?
Sometimes the deterioration comes down to other factors outside of total miles. The rubber can deteriorate.

That crack became evident, but I'd want a qualified evaluation of the condition of all the tires. If the rubber is that bad on one...they all could be close to failure.

It's not the thrifty economical answer....but it may be time for new tires...plural..as in set of 4.

Last edited by fitchet; 01-05-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
First off I'd buy at minimum two tires instead of just one. You should replace tires in pairs. Secondly how old are they? There should be a four digit date code on them such as 2217 which would be 22nd week of 2017 for example. Tires should be replaced every six years. Myself, I err on the side of caution with such things as tires. For sake of discussion you have a blow out and get hurt or even killed. If a split second before the accident someone could stop time and say this can be avoided if you spend $200, most would gladly do it. So then why not just spend the money and be safe? Obviously you know the tire is an issue otherwise you wouldn't have asked here? Or, you don't want to spend the money and you're looking for affirmation that it's OK to drive on since that was what "professionals" told you?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i was actually surprised that they didn't try to sell me a new tire instead they told me that my tire is still good.
Does this mean that this tire shop is honest and will not rip you off?
no just means they dont want to see you around no more.

get real tires.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by Rob H
First off I'd buy at minimum two tires instead of just one. You should replace tires in pairs. Secondly how old are they? There should be a four digit date code on them such as 2217 which would be 22nd week of 2017 for example. Tires should be replaced every six years. Myself, I err on the side of caution with such things as tires. For sake of discussion you have a blow out and get hurt or even killed. If a split second before the accident someone could stop time and say this can be avoided if you spend $200, most would gladly do it. So then why not just spend the money and be safe? Obviously you know the tire is an issue otherwise you wouldn't have asked here? Or, you don't want to spend the money and you're looking for affirmation that it's OK to drive on since that was what "professionals" told you?
my tires are pretty new, a little over 1 year old with DC 4416. The rest of my good tires still have 8/32 of tread left.
Definitely i will buy a new tire. Since my tires are almost new, I will get one tire for now.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
my tires are pretty new, a little over 1 year old with DC 4416. The rest of my good tires still have 8/32 of tread left.
Definitely i will buy a new tire. Since my tires are almost new, I will get one tire for now.
Wow. No offense, but what cheap garbage did you buy?

Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Not to be insulting, but the close up pictures of your cracked tire, not only is there the crack but the rubber looks very deteriorated.
I don't what happened but the condition of the rubber just doesn't look good to me.
And my concern would be if that one is that bad...the others might be just as bad.

Sometimes it's not about tread depth, it's about overall condition of the tires.
I would seek a professional opinion as to the condition of all your tires.

Buying new tires is a expense, but it can be a life saving expense.

Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:01 PM
hell, I wouldn't drink coffee from a cup with a crack like that, let alone travel 80 mph on such a tire. I'd keep the tire only for strictly off-road use. I'm with kenchan; the tire shop just didn't want to bother with you as a customer of one tire.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Not to be insulting, but the close up pictures of your cracked tire, not only is there the crack but the rubber looks very deteriorated.
I don't what happened but the condition of the rubber just doesn't look good to me.
And my concern would be if that one is that bad...the others might be just as bad.

Sometimes it's not about tread depth, it's about overall condition of the tires.
I would seek a professional opinion as to the condition of all your tires.

Buying new tires is a expense, but it can be a life saving expense.

Good Luck.
I suspect that it hit a curb or something when my brother used my car. What you see in the picture is a dirt or scratched portion of the tire. There are also scratches on the bottom of the body where you put the side skirt. Look likes it went over a curb and hit something.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
Wow. No offense, but what cheap garbage did you buy?
its a Roadhugger GT brand. As I said it looks like it did hit a curb causing that crack.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Your tire shop guys are a bunch off fools. Replace that tire asap! No possible way of knowing that tire damage is only cosmetic. Did they remove the tire & inspect the inside for damage?

I'd recommend Discount Tire or America's Tire (same company) rather than a Firestone chain store. I've used Discount Tire many times they have been great. Also as has been said buy 2 tires not one.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
There is certainly room in the world for different philosophies on tires, and not everyone believes deep down that they're driving a race car no matter what they're sitting in (although I do)... but even if you're not going to buy extreme summer performance tires and switch to winter tires when the temperature gets too low for them to stick, at least get some relatively decent brand tires when it comes time to buy a new set. You won't need the extra grip when just driving around town. You might when someone merges into you on the freeway without looking (almost happened to me several times), or slams on the brakes to avoid baby ducks crossing the road (seen it happen more than once).

Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
its a Roadhugger GT brand. As I said it looks like it did hit a curb causing that crack.
WOW, Google'd it. IMO way over priced for a tire I never heard of. Discount Tire Direct wants $85 each for a 195/60/15. There's allot better tires available for that money. Says it comes with a 60K mile warranty? I'd think a big crack in the sidewall would be a defect and covered under it?

Quick Reply: Tire sidewall crack