2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GE8 rear fitment tips.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
GE8 rear fitment tips.

Okay.. so lets face it. Honda screwed us on this one.

First gen Honda Fit's had a replaceable spindle allowing a person to "shim" the bottom bolts to provide minute but valuable camber/toe adjustments.
Refer to the picture below.

Second gen Honda Fit's came with a press fitted or in other words one-piece spindle/axle beam assembly, allowing no area for shimming to provide camber/toe adjustments and in essence making wheel fitment tricky.

My question to the GE8 fitment gurus is, what crafty ways have we found to scrounge every last mm of fitment from the rear end? Cutting up axle beams? Shaved hubs? Shaved drum faces? Rolling & pulling? "Noblesse"?? Please enlighten me.

Here is my car for... reference?

Name:  IMG00344-20110326-1606.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  76.3 KB

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by AcousticAudio

My question to the GE8 fitment gurus is, what crafty ways have we found to scrounge every last mm of fitment from the rear end? Cutting up axle beams? Shaved hubs? Shaved drum faces? Rolling & pulling? "Noblesse"?? Please enlighten me.
Shaved drum face? As in what the wheel mates to?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 PM
It was an idea that has crossed my mind in the past but I rejected as I am in favor of the idea that the drum face is the thickness it is for a reason. But yes, the face the wheel mounts to. If you shaved material from it evenly, you could decrease the distance out that the wheel is mounted by a few valuable mm, as many as you dare. But, cracking seems inevitable especially in harsh conditions?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
what would be the point of shaving the hub or drum... why not shave the wheel? All this amounts to is higher offset. That being said... change those wheels for something with a positive offset.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
i neeed to find someone local with a ge ive have almost perfected the rear camber on the gd by doing modded shims behinde the hub i have to see a ge in person heres what mine looks like if you havent seen it
P1012608.jpg?t=1305604308
P1012605.jpg?t=1305604344
P1012611.jpg?t=1305604376

remember they might be shims but you still have to compensate for the toe!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
@goobers, If I were to shave something I'd rather shave a 50$ drum. And uhh no? Shaving the drum or wheel does not change the offset of your wheels. What it would amount to is a more recessed mounting point for your wheel. High offset wheels are not an option to me, so lets scratch that idea right now. You can keep your 7" wide +43mm offset wheels

@nxtfit_08, As I stated in the first post, shims will not work for the GE model. P.S nice car though, how much body work did you have to do?

Last edited by AcousticAudio; 05-17-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
shims will not work for the GE model. P.S nice car though, how much body work did you have to do?

well something has to work for the ge thats why i want to see it for myself not that i dont trust you but just want to see for my self

also for my car did rear camber and rolled and slight pull on fenders thtats all and thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
@goobers, If I were to shave something I'd rather shave a 50$ drum. And uhh no? Shaving the drum or wheel does not change the offset of your wheels. What it would amount to is a more recessed mounting point for your wheel. High offset wheels are not an option to me, so lets scratch that idea right now. You can keep your 7" wide +43mm offset wheels

@nxtfit_08, As I stated in the first post, shims will not work for the GE model. P.S nice car though, how much body work did you have to do?
Who said anything about high offset wheels?

You immediately took the offensive just because I said to get something with positive offset. I didn't mean that shaving those parts changed the offset on the wheels, it moves the tires into the body the same way a positive offset would.

So again, instead of doing something complicated and possibly dangerous as shaving parts, you could trade those wheels for something with a positive offset... +43 and +53 aren't the only two offsets available in the universe.

That being said, I'm done with this thread.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Wahh wahh. The entire purpose of my creating this thread is to learn very specifically what methods OTHER people with LOW offset wheels have done to make their wheels fit their GE8's.

Selling your low offset wheels and buying higher offset wheels does not count as an accepted method. That falls more into the "I gave up" category.

I am now running 15"x8" +0mm offset, and last season I had 15"x8" +15mm. I am aware that there are a wide variety of offsets available, but unfortunately nothing over +20mm (assuming 8" wide) appeals to me.

That said, you run 16x7 +43 offset wheels, so you probably have no business offering advice in this thread anyways.

KTHXBAI

Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Wahh wahh. The entire purpose of my creating this thread is to learn very specifically what methods OTHER people with LOW offset wheels have done to make their wheels fit their GE8's.

Selling your low offset wheels and buying higher offset wheels does not count as an accepted method. That falls more into the "I gave up" category.

I am now running 15"x8" +0mm offset, and last season I had 15"x8" +15mm. I am aware that there are a wide variety of offsets available, but unfortunately nothing over +20mm (assuming 8" wide) appeals to me.

That said, you run 16x7 +43 offset wheels, so you probably have no business offering advice in this thread anyways.

KTHXBAI
wow, way to be a total douche. people dont take kindly to other saying "wah wah" at them. anyways, this thread is dumb. everyone knows there is no way to adjust the rear setting on the vehicle other than a different rear beam. and your rear alignment looks fine as is.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisno
wow, way to be a total douche. people dont take kindly to other saying "wah wah" at them. anyways, this thread is dumb. everyone knows there is no way to adjust the rear setting on the vehicle other than a different rear beam. and your rear alignment looks fine as is.
SO WRONG!!!^^ do to the fact that you CAN do it to the gd and "maybe" not the ge it will be figured out soon enough so bro get you facts straight before you call somebody a douche.,

Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by nxtfit_08
SO WRONG!!!^^ do to the fact that you CAN do it to the gd and "maybe" not the ge it will be figured out soon enough so bro get you facts straight before you call somebody a douche.,
my facts are straight, bro. iv aligned countless fits and 99% of them have no alignment issues in the rear. i know you can do it to the gd, but the ge has welded freakin hubs. shaving drums and drum backing plates is just retarded. oh, and i called him a douche for getting on people who are trying to help

Last edited by fitisno; 05-17-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisno
my facts are straight, bro. iv aligned countless fits and 99% of them have no alignment issues in the rear. i know you can do it to the gd, but the ge has welded freakin hubs. shaving drums and drum backing plates is just retarded. oh, and i called him a douche for getting on people who are trying to help

ok well just for your info your not the only technician on this site i was the #1 alingment tech in the previous job i was just at in the entire company so i do know how to align a vehicle but im sure there has to be a way to do it even thought its welded without shaveing the hub its like drilling out holes to adjust camber or caster on the front struts. i know it welded but but makeing maybe a spacer plate or something might work. btw no real need for name calling be the grown up and give advice thats all im saying

also on that note im not i repeat not starting a arguement about this but just think about it! p.s. now i work for a sport shop!

Last edited by nxtfit_08; 05-18-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member

First gen Honda Fit's had a replaceable spindle allowing a person to "shim" the bottom bolts to provide minute but valuable camber/toe adjustments.

Second gen Honda Fit's came with a press fitted or in other words one-piece spindle/axle beam assembly, allowing no area for shimming to provide camber/toe adjustments and in essence making wheel fitment tricky.

Here is my car for... reference?

Have not run across that change by Honda. Guess they got PO'ed by grassroots mechanics improving the Fit. But then:
How about scounging a junkyard axle to replace the one that has fixed stub? Or you could 'saw' the stub plate from the axle and replace that part. Tho the former is better but more work for you.
I have an engineer's problem with a 'press fit' on the axle stub plate to the axle plate so I wonder if its not welded.
good luck.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 PM
any updates on this issue??? im itching for some camber!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
@mahout. I plan to do exactly that. However seeing as I am also a technician at the largest honda dealer in canada, its cheaper for me to order a brand new axle beam then it is to source one from the wrecker. Stay tuned at the end of the month.

At everyone else, I don't think anyones technical ability or knowledge was ever in question, he was just retaliating to me being a dick. Which I confess to. Quitting smoking is as hard as they say guys!