2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifting in a turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Paddle shifting in a turn

So what is the exact strategy for taking a turn? Let's say I'm braking as I approach the turn. How far through the turn do I downshift? Do I paddle down before or after I stop braking? Do I paddle down just before I start accelerating again?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
lol it's the same thing as stick shift. probably would have found the answer on google.

but you downshift before you enter the turn so you can engine break instead of pressing on the break and accelerate while turning if you can. Of course everything changes by how sharp the turn is , etc. If turn is too sharp, you will have to press the break obviously if your traveling too fast.

Last thing you want to do is enter the turn too fast and realize you went in too fast and lock up the brakes. you will have no control after that and will have to pray to god you survive.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
lol it's the same thing as stick shift. probably would have found the answer on google.
You're probably right except I thought the strategy might be different for paddles. With a manual you have three pedals on the floor but only two feet. The ability to use paddles means you could shift and brake at the same time and then switch to acceleration very quickly. That's why I asked here. Thanks for your excellent answer.

Last edited by FRAMEshift; 05-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
A decent manual trans driver has the ability to use all three pedals at once, if necessary. Heel-and-toe downshifting, for instance, while under braking, requires use of all three pedals with only two feet. It's not easy, but once mastered, can (literally) be a life-saver.

As for the original question, the way to enter a turn is to set your speed and gear before the turn (on the street, a bit before. On the track, off the brakes as close to the turn as possible, then maintain speed through the turn. Slow in, fast out), then drive through the turn, and accelerate out once you can do so without any worry of wheelspin (virtually none in the Fit, unless you're driving in bad weather, but this is standard general theory).

Mid-corner shifting at speed can upset the balance of the vehicle. Since there isn't much power to speak of in the Fit, again, it's not such a big deal, but in general, it can end up with you going tail-first into a tree if done improperly. It generally gets the "in case of emergency ONLY" tag. Since the Fit's paddles are attached to a standard torque converter automatic, there's some slippage involved, so there's very little driveline shock, especially since the computers are fairly slow to shift in the Fit. In a manual, or an SMG/dual clutch without a rev-matched downshift, as I mentioned, the results can be less than good Mark W.

Last edited by thaduke2003; 05-17-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Oops! Premature posting :)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
the way to enter a turn is to set your speed and gear before the turn (on the street, a bit before. On the track, off the brakes as close to the turn as possible,
So what about engine braking? Would you down paddle and brake at the same time? Brake before shifting? Shift before braking?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
You def. want to be WOT coming out of the turn (based on the turn of course). In terms of braking for the turn, sometimes you don't need to brake, just lift off the throttle. In cases where you going too fast into the turn, brake first, downshift if needed, and keep throttle open as much as possible without spinning out, and drive it hard out of the corner. You'll be able to answer your own questions with some more track experience.

I don't think the A/T Fit with paddles is good for engine braking as good as it is for the manual. Most of the time I downshift with the paddles is if I need more acceleration, not really for engine braking. Again though, all depends on the situation.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
For engine braking, that's fine for the street. Yes, you can downshift and brake at the same time, unless you're at impending lockup. If you're already using 100% of the tire's energy to brake, don't shift, as it MAY cause the wheels to spin. Not very likely with ABS, but it COULD happen- Mark W.