2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Totaled my '09 Fit, but I walked away...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Totaled my '09 Fit, but I walked away...

Welp, She was about almost 2 years old. She had a full Mugen upgraded body kit and less then 10000 miles. 60 mph collision. She did just as she was supposed to do... My front and side bags deployed, and the seatbelt held me in firmly. The cabin maintained its shape mostly, and the hood and engine department crumpled on impact to dissipate the shock.

Here is a Before and After pic. Her name was Christine. She was awesome.

Name:  beforecrash1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  106.7 KB
Name:  beforecrash.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  dead3.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  109.2 KB
Name:  dead2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  147.4 KB

Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
dang... glad you're ok.

how'd this happen ?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Wow. Looks like a bad crash. Sorry about your Fit but glad you are okay.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 AM
On my way to a photoshoot and running late. 80 year old guys pulls out in a huge slow van and suddenly my GPS (on a straight piece of road) say "recalculating", So I glance down thinking wtf, glance up, Van is WAY close. So I lock her up and try and squeeze her into the side of the road. If I had another like 3 seconds, I may have gotten her passed. I caught like 18"-24" of the accident on her left/front. It was all my fault. I was hurrying and I didn't check up in time.

Lucky for me the Mugen work was done by the dealer before I took delivery, do, all the Mugen parts were included in the estimate.

I already have my new car in the works. 2011 Fit Sport, with Mugen package... She is black and she is named Lily. I am waiting on my black rims, and then she will be ready for riding around in. I am a not a tuner. I don't have the time and loot to put it into my car. And knowing now if you crash it out your insurance will try and rape you out of the value of pieces put on after the fact.

I might like it lowered a bit. But that is about it. I always have been a speed-freak. Power, then looks, then safety in that order... But you have a wreck that requires you require a back board and being ambulanced to the hospital, it makes you think about survival in a car wreck.

Thank you guy for your well wishes. My upper chest, shoulders and neck still hurt, but it could have been a lot worse.

I took the pics at the salvage yard, and I took one of the Mugen badges off her and I will put it in my new one as a keepsake.

But its been a few weeks of weirdness of salvage yards and insurances and hospital fees and car shopping, ect.

I did see this kickass smoked tail-lights I'd like to add to her.

Christine did have a smoked license-plate cover that went with the rear tinting beautifully and a cop pulled me over and said he was "not a fan" of the tinting on license plates. <shrug> He said he would for go the $200 ticket if I promised to remove it. I gave the cop my word and I did. Officer Stubbs could have been a jackass to me, but he treated me ok, so no worries...

But I'd like to tint my plate again on Lily, but I think with the tint and black paint a cop would be all over me, so I best not (but I might anyways)

Anyways, Thanks again guys. I appreciate it a lot.

Facebook

If you have a FB page, here is the whole collection of pics of the post crash Christine.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Glad you made it out okay.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
The main thing here is that you came out of this basically ok.

For a 60mph crash the Fit faired rather well which is good, but
on the other hand it totally sucks this happened.

I like the looks of the Mugen rear underbody spoiler and would
go for it if it wasn't purely cosmetic and $400 bucks... that is
a lot of go-juice money!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
i'm glad you made it out OK.

there are still a lot of good parts worth money on that car.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
So glad you are ok--your Fit served you well & gave her life in the line of duty. RIP Christine

Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Any chance we can get parts off the old car?

Glad you're alive and well!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Any chance we can get parts off the old car?
I was thinking the same thing after I read that you were alive and well.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I only hot away with I Mugen badge. As soon as it was totaled, some salvage company took her to chop her up. If I knew the Mugen grill was almost $400 I'd have dug it out.

The only thing I will have will be the original rims with like 100 miles on them. I don't have a place for them. The dealer parts guy said he'd take them for $100 for all 4. Talk about low-balling me.

So if anyone needs factory stock rims 99.9% new let me know.

Yeah, my Fit cradled me with care during that wicked impact. Why not go with another car now?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Oops, the end was meant to say "the same car"...

Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
You can see ACE at work there. That upper rad support beam saved your bacon (as I reconstruct the accident, I picture the upper rad beam catching the brunt of the force, rotating your car until the fender and A pillar caught the rest of the momentum after the upper rad sheared away from the main bumper beam) I believe it's one of the high tensile strength pieces on the GE8. Glad all is well, but damn no wonder our collision rates are 1.5 times higher than average

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 06-02-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM
That is facinating. You have a hypathical blow-by-blow as to how the crash played thru. I just know how the cockpit view looked. Thanks for a very cool insight. I am a photog do I had to take pics of her. In fact immediately after the crash I handed my iPhone to a hand reaching into my car and said "document this". Looking back, only a photog would just hand an iPhone to a "hand". I have no idea who it was. The cockpit was full of dust after the bags deployed. The hood was crushed up do I could not see past it. I was still in shock. I had voices tell me to sit and relax. another voice was asking me medical questions and another voice was asking what happened. Looking back, that was the state trooper. In shock you are not on any condition to lie about anything, so he got ethereal truth. "How fast were you doing?". I said 60, maybe 65. Absolute truth. I could not have lied even if I wanted to. I was just being lead around. Someone put a neckbrace on me. Then several people slide me on a board. I was in an ambulance. They pricked my finger to check blood sugar. Then into the emergency room. I remember the 2 girls at the catscan. They undid my belt and took my pants down. Then I asked them to please pull them up when they were thru... :-). Back on topic: thank you for the engineering angle of the collision. It puts things in perspective.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Glad your ok, that looked like a wicked impact for sho. How much for the wheels/tires though since you mentioned?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
How was the 80 year old guy you plowed into while driving too fast to control your vehicle?!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by RENSA
Welp, She was about almost 2 years old. She had a full Mugen upgraded body kit and less then 10000 miles. 60 mph collision. She did just as she was supposed to do... My front and side bags deployed, and the seatbelt held me in firmly. The cabin maintained its shape mostly, and the hood and engine department crumpled on impact to dissipate the shock.

Here is a Before and After pic. Her name was Christine. She was awesome.

honestly, if this car was in the Philippines, it can still be fixed and back on the road in no time... can't see any major damage to the engine nor chassis.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by petee
honestly, if this car was in the Philippines, it can still be fixed and back on the road in no time... can't see any major damage to the engine nor chassis.

fortunately we don't live in the Philippines

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by petee
And it will be back on the road here as well just not as straight forward.

Insurance company totals car and pays out claim for replacement value.
Insurance company auctions off car with "salvage" title
Car bought, repairs completed, car inspected and title changed to "rebuild"
Car sold for 25-50% less than non salvage/rebuild titled car.
Car lives on.

_

Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
And it will be back on the road here as well just not as straight forward.

Insurance company totals car and pays out claim for replacement value.
Insurance company auctions off car with "salvage" title
Car bought, repairs completed, car inspected and title changed to "rebuild"
Car sold for 25-50% less than non salvage/rebuild titled car.
Car lives on.

_
no doubt it will..

Quick Reply: Totaled my '09 Fit, but I walked away...