2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scheduled Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Scheduled Maintenance

I'm taking one of my 2009 Fits in tomorrow for an oil change with 37,500 miles on it. I know they're going to propose a list of extra stuff from their printed "Standard Maintenance" schedule, including things like:
  • Inspect Front & Rear Brakes Advise on Condition
  • Check fluid levels and advise on condition of fluid
  • Inspect Tie Rod Ends, Steering Gearbox & Boots
  • Inspect Suspension Components
  • Inspect Drive Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Drive Belt
  • Lubricate All Hinges, Locks & Latches
  • Clean Throttle Body

Any thoughts? I've not listed items that I do myself like changing both air filters. I suspect this is mostly a scam. They see the brakes when they rotate the tires, so no extra inspection should be necessary there. And what are they going to find upon inspecting the other stuff? This car is driven very lightly, so what suspension problems could there be?

Thanks for your input. I did search the forum for other threads about this, but surprisingly I didn't find much. Perhaps my search skills aren't up to par?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Any thoughts? I can do all of that myself and don't see what is there to pay for. At 37 K you don't need to inspect the drive belt... or at least expect anything wrong with it.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by mhrivnak
Any thoughts? I've not listed items that I do myself like changing both air filters. I suspect this is mostly a scam. They see the brakes when they rotate the tires, so no extra inspection should be necessary there.
For most places, with the exception of cleaning the throttle body, all of that is usually included in their 27 point inspection for every car that comes in. Its just looking to see if there is something wrong, doesn't involve complicated machines, etc and is a good chance for an upsell so they like doing it for free.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I just traded an old Accord for a 2011 FIT SPORT. the thing I miss the most is a clear written maintenance schedule ,,Instead I get a bunch of codes and computer controlled lights suggesting something might go wrong any time soon.I'm an airline pilot and if anything will go wrong sooner or later ,,is a computer, that I know.If anybody knows of a written guide to preventive maintenance that will not cost $150, please let me know. Thanks,,,can't believe Honda did this.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjsifo
I just traded an old Accord for a 2011 FIT SPORT. the thing I miss the most is a clear written maintenance schedule ,,Instead I get a bunch of codes and computer controlled lights suggesting something might go wrong any time soon.I'm an airline pilot and if anything will go wrong sooner or later ,,is a computer, that I know.If anybody knows of a written guide to preventive maintenance that will not cost $150, please let me know. Thanks,,,can't believe Honda did this.
No offense, but I hope you fly better than you write.
Not even sure what codes you are talking about and how it is complicated. Which part of maintenance schedule do you need help with?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the freakworld. Relax - it doesn't fly.
Honda's rep for engine quality and their MM System are very reliable.

15% oil life schedule an oil change.
Look around the forum and you'll find many a thread on all points of view regarding maint.

It's really quite simple, the MM is your friend.

K_C_

Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by jjsifo
I assume what you want is a milage based chart for maintenance? Because if you want something non-computer based for diagnosing, monitoring, controlling, etc your car, you are a few decades out of date.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
I love the MM! You have nothing to do until the orange wrench appears. Then lookup the code in the manual.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
You want it in pilot terms? What wears out an airframe is cycles, not miles.

What wears down an engine and its oil isn't strictly miles either, it's also engine starts, loads, etc. The MM isn't perfect but it's better than using just an odometer to decide when to change the oil, etc.

Just like I'd rather look at/measure a tire to decide when to replace it, not go by miles...

Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
WOW!!! sarcasm forum! give me a break guys, I'll figure it out (did I spell that right ?) computers are not new to me,however, in my line of work , too much automation has led to many accidents.Now, back to the FIT, the TPMS light came on this morning with 36 psi reading on the tire pressure gauge,(hot weather) on all four tires, went to the Dealer ,told me the computer had to be reset, or re set? anyway, will just check everything periodically like any other car. Thanks, JJS

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Sarcasm - you got off easy for jacking a thread ;-)

Stick around and join in. Looking for a heated discussion try oil or octane...

We all know that anything can break at any time - the Honda ECU is very reliable.

Search forum on TPMS issues. Curious regarding computer reset, more likely a fuse issue, you might ask what they actually did next time - but then again this has little to do with the OP post.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
For most places, with the exception of cleaning the throttle body, all of that is usually included in their 27 point inspection for every car that comes in. Its just looking to see if there is something wrong, doesn't involve complicated machines, etc and is a good chance for an upsell so they like doing it for free.

^^ this. inspection should be included.... it's a way dealers find issues with your car to bill you more for service and parts!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
The MM is good and something new to me also. Reminds me of the old-school oil (idiot) light. But of course a bit fancier now. The Fit is my 1st Honda and my newest but definitely not my 1st car. Heheh my first car had contact points, carb, dist, coil, float glass, etc. Some here probably don't know what they are anymore.

Anyway, yeah this is the 1st one I've had that didn't have a "mileage" chart. I've made it a habit over the years to have a log book for each of my cars which I find very useful in keeping track of what's been done/changed/serviced, date, mileage service was performed. Even keep track of my fill ups. But that's just me.

jjsifo, this might be something to consider. I use it much like your aircraft maint. log book - done something, write it down-type. That way I can track life cycle of the part and also not always at the mercy of the dealership and/or mechanic, who may be honest or maybe not.

Basic maintenance is still "basic" maintenance (for me anyway) - oil changes and tire rotation @ 5k, fluids and tire pressure check weekly, etc. Hard to go wrong. Many posters here have tons of experience under their belts so its quite a challenge of patience to answer simple questions. And many think they know, which becomes a challenge of credibility. Then there are those who don't have the time to know and can afford to pay for whatever their mechanic recommends.

mhrivnak, I think most of your questions can be put to ease with some familiarity with your own car. Dealers always lean towards the safe side. Their reputation/liability is at stake and of course it generates income (my opinion). And yes, the search engine here has a lot of room for improvement - another test of due diligence and patience.

How and when parts wear out have a lot of external dependencies - driving habits, surface conditions, preventive maintenance, weather, etc. Not trying to be condescending or all-knowing here, guys. Just an old-schooler trying to keep up with the changing times. And yes I try to take care of my cars so it'll do what I want it to do when needed. Just my take.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Hey Subie - one old schooler to another, you hit it. Took me a while to adjust as well...

The MM keeps track of all maintenance items - other than oil life - by mileage.

There's no USDM published list I can find, however, European data is more readily found: Maintenance Schedule I think Lyons first found it.

There's plenty of forum chatter regarding tranny fluid change, coolant and oil.
The MM really is your friend.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Hey Subie - one old schooler to another, you hit it. Took me a while to adjust as well...

The MM keeps track of all maintenance items - other than oil life - by mileage.

There's no USDM published list I can find, however, European data is more readily found: Maintenance Schedule I think Lyons first found it.

There's plenty of forum chatter regarding tranny fluid change, coolant and oil.
The MM really is your friend.
Much appreciated KC. This forum is really quite entertaining at times (for the most part) with a few flame outs every now and then. But for the most part very friendly and accommodating. I try to be... most of the time.

Kinda like customer support I guess. You get all kinds from all angles. Flashback... flashback... in IT for the most part it was OP (operator error) not reading the instructions... My previous life, the diagnosis fell under "Discrepancy - short between the ears".

Anyway, I can handle hi-tech, but don't forget your back up. CPUs, ECU, software, all started with the human touch - on a keyboard. Garbage in, garbage out... in my world. "Rights reserved" in fine print... my right... to use common sense.

Sorry, now off the soap box . Thanks for the reference.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
If you change your oil and reset your MM prior to reaching 15% oil life then you will not see any service codes correct? Will the service codes that should have shown at the previous 15% show up the next time or are they skipped over permanently?

_

Old 08-11-2011, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
If you change your oil and reset your MM prior to reaching 15% oil life then you will not see any service codes correct?
Do half the reset procedure, it will trigger the code to show. Continue with the rest of the procedure to fully reset. But its possible to check your current MM code prior to the gauge reaching 15%, if you're curious on the code and want to change oil early.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SilverbulletCSVT, as I understand the MM reset after an oil change, will only reset the oil life. I'm not quite sure I understand your 2nd question. Are you referring to the rest of the other maintenance schedules monitored by the MM?

Consider a trip meter reset vice an odometer reset... if I understood your question correctly.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
Do half the reset procedure, it will trigger the code to show. Continue with the rest of the procedure to fully reset. But its possible to check your current MM code prior to the gauge reaching 15%, if you're curious on the code and want to change oil early.
How do you do half a reset? Manual only shows one way i.e. press and hold 10 seconds until it flashes then continue holding another 5 seconds until it clears oil life and service codes.

Originally Posted by Subie
SilverbulletCSVT, as I understand the MM reset after an oil change, will only reset the oil life. I'm not quite sure I understand your 2nd question. Are you referring to the rest of the other maintenance schedules monitored by the MM?
Yes service codes A & B with corresponding numbers 1-5. Manual shows that these clear along with the oil life %. These don't show on MM until oil life reaches 15%. So if you change oil and clear oil life prior to 15% you'll never see them. My question is if oil life is cleared before reaching 15% will the service codes not yet displayed be cleared prematurely? or will the same codes that should have displayed at previous 15% show up at the next 15% oil life?

Another way to state the same thing: Am I clearing service codes that have yet to show up by clearing the oil life prior to 15%? Thereby clearing codes that have never had required service performed.

And before somebody suggests to just wait and change my oil at 15%. I do quite a bit of towing with my Fit and the MM doesn't take that into consideration.

_

Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
How do you do half a reset? Manual only shows one way i.e. press and hold 10 seconds until it flashes then continue holding another 5 seconds until it clears oil life and service codes.
The code comes on when it flashes after 10 seconds. Lift off after it flashes to not reset. Then when you have the code, just hit the reset stick to change it back to normal.

Quick Reply: Scheduled Maintenance