2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Few questions about rims, mugen, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Question Few questions about rims, mugen, etc.

Hey I am a proud new owner of a 2011 White Honda fit sport. Im from florida and I noticed there are alot of white fits. I wanted orange but the supply was low.

Well I am interested in adding on:

-Mugen front, side, back, grille, and mirror. (I know a Honda mechanic who can get me the discount and install it for free, or many a beer or two.)
-Interior illumination kit
-Center armrest

Well, I also wanna get some nice black rims. I am NOT familiar with rims, but I dont wanna waste my money on a bad kind. I do not know how much of a difference a 17' and 16' make, besides height. I would love to avoid curbs, but I dont want to tip or anything.

Can anyone recommend me some good all black rims?
Not too many spokes too. Im not a fan of cleaning rims, mainly the spokes. My budget is about 1k. I can go up to 1.5k for all 4. (Tires included?)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_NRSDCBt4i-U/Sf...k%2520rims.jpg

I know those rims arent all black, but this is what I like. (How much do those go for?)

Also, the mugen kit. I estimated it will cost me around 2.7k
for all the parts listed above. I absolutely love the back of the mugen. I know it doesnt improve anything besides appearance. But convince me to get it! I've only seen one mugen fit since 2009 in my area. I'd love to have one. Am I spending to much?

Also is there an interior illumination mod that I can change the colors? Like in a fiesta or cube?

Overall my entire budget is 3.5k.

I am not interested in adding any power mods until my warranties are up.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
For wheels, I'd suggest looking at some buddy club or rota wheels. Some people will probably flame me for recommending rota's, but they're affordable, of pretty decent quality and have the look of a lot of the more expensive wheels (since they kinda rip off some of their designs). Buddy club is in a different league than rota's, but they're also not that expensive. Most of their wheels also come in all black, so I suggest you go and take a look at what YOU like.

Mugen is such a rip off, even if it's at cost....but if you like the look, and have the cash to do it then I say go for it. This is your car so you should customize it to how YOU like it.

As for illumination...you can do that yourself with whatever color you want. There's a DIY thread somewhere (at least 1) to show you how to do that. Just buy your own LEDs and what not, and do it yourself or get your mechanic friend to do it for you and it'll probably cheaper than buying the "kit".

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
buddy club is a better option or maybe some k speeds, with your 1.5k budget you could get wheels and coils

Old 07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
If you want a set like in the picture on the S2000 (SSR SP1s), you need to get 17's as the step lip makes them look even smaller than they actually are.

I took a picture of Ill Roller's GE8 that has the Mugen kit, is lowered and white and p-shopped the wheels on quickly to give you an idea of how it'd look. The size is probably close to 17s.

Name:  5908153060_c3ac421ee7_b.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  98.8 KB

Ryan

Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
If you want a set like in the picture on the S2000 (SSR SP1s), you need to get 17's as the step lip makes them look even smaller than they actually are.

I took a picture of Ill Roller's GE8 that has the Mugen kit, is lowered and white and p-shopped the wheels on quickly to give you an idea of how it'd look. The size is probably close to 17s.

Ryan
Yeah that I really like. Any idea as to how much those go for? I think I may just get some nice rims + tires with the mugen if the price is right.

As for coils, say I wanna get the rims. Which ones provide the best handling? I could go all out and spend 2k on tires rims and coils and keep the rest in my pocket and get mugen another day.

Can I get this all done for 3.5k guys? Mugen, S2000 rims, coils, tires, and the lighting? I know plenty of mechanics to help me. Im not too good at anything mechanical involving cars.

3.5k is just the current price-point, but im willing to spend some savings towards it.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have a set of all black TE37's with tires, located in FL. Tires are at 90%.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
get these ^^^ if they are 16" i regret getting 17" even thought they look good! i've since seen several GE's with 16" that look just fine
mugen haters can hate, this kit sets my fit apart in a sea of silver fits, NOONE ever has to wonder if the fit they see is mine or not (even without the blue wheels)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Get slightly wider profile tires if you go with 17's. Wider contact patch and more protection for the rims.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by MugenAP2
I have a set of all black TE37's with tires, located in FL. Tires are at 90%.

What size and how much and where are you located?

Also, is there anyway to put in a nissan cubes interior lighting into a fit? Can it be done?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Magdafyi
Also, is there anyway to put in a nissan cubes interior lighting into a fit? Can it be done?
im sure you can with a little work on the mounting bracket. is that for the footwell?

you can get generic LED strips and wire it up to your fusebox with a switch in-line. for those you can either double stick tape it somewhere under the dash or zip tie it. there's really nothing hard abuot installing those things.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
get these ^^^ if they are 16" i regret getting 17" even thought they look good! i've since seen several GE's with 16" that look just fine
mugen haters can hate, this kit sets my fit apart in a sea of silver fits, NOONE ever has to wonder if the fit they see is mine or not (even without the blue wheels)
Why do you regret getting 17"?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Look in here for Legit rims. nwp4life.com wheel classifieds

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by howiedoit
Why do you regret getting 17"?
just a tad bit wide for my taste, and i bought the fit for the fuel econ and not looks and handling, althought i think it is one of the best looking cars on the road at certain angles, and definatly the best looking in our segment bare none!!! and it handles like a champ for it's height and i will track this thing before the summer is out just to see if it handles better than my GD did "it handles amazing" (not my words, they are a spec miata drivers at a SCCA track event on the longest roadcoarse in the US)
i lost nearly 8mpg going from a 185/55/16 to a 215/45/17 and the wheels weigh about the same so the patch is whats killing me!

i think the 16" look just as good and are cheaper to buy, maintain and turn.

my .02

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
just a tad bit wide for my taste, and i bought the fit for the fuel econ and not looks and handling, althought i think it is one of the best looking cars on the road at certain angles, and definatly the best looking in our segment bare none!!! and it handles like a champ for it's height and i will track this thing before the summer is out just to see if it handles better than my GD did "it handles amazing" (not my words, they are a spec miata drivers at a SCCA track event on the longest roadcoarse in the US)
i lost nearly 8mpg going from a 185/55/16 to a 215/45/17 and the wheels weigh about the same so the patch is whats killing me!

my .02
That seals the deal for me - keeping stock size (maybe lighter though )

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 AM

my .02
Wow, what mpg were you getting before and after? I put my 17's on just 1-2 weeks after I got my car so I never really got a good chance to evaluate before and after mpg, but it seems about the same as far as I can tell...about 28-30mpg. The first 2 times I filled up, I was getting about 29-30mpg.

I have 17x7.5 with 205/45/17. My 17's with tires are lighter than stock 16's with tires (34.2lb vs 37.6lb), but there is more contact patch like you mentioned. Should I be expecting much more mpg with stock wheels?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 AM
if you getting wheels you must get a drop...im thinking of getting Swift springs for my TW. prolly going with Rota Grid in White in 16 x 7 et45.

To me since the FIT is not a very expensive car, Rotas are not such a bad thing... now if you talking putting Rotas on an S2000 or NSX you might get body slammed lol...

Check out WheelDude.com or even Ebay... as far as the MUGEN Kit, that shit is sweet!!! but for the money id rather buy OEM accessories for the interior like Center Arm Rest, Cargo Cover, etc and for Exterior get some Window Sills... But if you have the money id say go with MUGEN... that front bumper is silly...

Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by howiedoit
Wow, what mpg were you getting before and after? I put my 17's on just 1-2 weeks after I got my car so I never really got a good chance to evaluate before and after mpg, but it seems about the same as far as I can tell...about 28-30mpg. The first 2 times I filled up, I was getting about 29-30mpg.

I have 17x7.5 with 205/45/17. My 17's with tires are lighter than stock 16's with tires (34.2lb vs 37.6lb), but there is more contact patch like you mentioned. Should I be expecting much more mpg with stock wheels?
I'm averaging 36 mpg over 7,200mi. Best tank was 39.62 (calculated. Display showed 38.7). My worst tank was 33.2 - Sunday trip up Palomar Mtn. and down the backside via Sunrise Hwy. Lots of twisties and only manual mode .

Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM
In all honesty, I would get sakura rims if they came in black. I was tempted to get pink but associates were against the idea. Understandable.

Do sakura rims exist in black? I dont mean spray painted on black either.

I can only find them in 3 colors.
http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...2520Gloss.html

Are these a good brand? Im liking the gloss black, but would it look nice on a white fit? Any advice?

Last edited by Magdafyi; 07-20-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
For under $1500 you could get some nice looking wheels and tires but they will probably be replica wheels like alot of us are using. There are points to spending the $3000 on a set of wheels but only if you have the money and really drive it hard on the track. Also if it is a more expensive car. I cant justify spending a huge chunk of the cars value on just wheels for a daily driver.
In my opinion (haters can hate) i think replica wheels do great and look good and they are a heck of alot cheaper. If you are looking at wheels for the fit make sure they are the right bolt pattern 4x100, and have an offset somewhere between 40-45 if you want to avoid rubbing issues if you decide to lower it alot.
I know i am rubbing slightly on the front right now but it is because i have not rolled my fenders.

Last edited by RetroAttack; 07-21-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
For $1500...you can A TON of REAL wheels.

I recommend the Enkei RPF1 and PF01. Lightweight, great sizing, timeless designs.

Quick Reply: Few questions about rims, mugen, etc.