2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First Timer! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM
First Timer! Help Please!

It's very intimidating buying a car for the first time, especially by yourself! But I'm shopping for a Fit Sport A/T in the polished metal.

I've begun playing the dealerships in my area against each other via email, but have been too scared to go in face-to-face to haggle. Any suggestions? Should I bring a lot of numbers with me? I'm not the type of person that is comfortable doing this type of thing, I find sales people to be very pushy and rude, but I know it's necessary. Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 AM
You did a great first step by finding a creative way to get a "best" email prices amongst the dealerships.

Figure out the highest price you are willing to pay. After knowing the "best market price in your area" based on the emails you got, and when you are ready to purchase, ask for reference from someone you know, eg work mate, relative, friend's friends who had a recent great experience with a certain sales person at a certain dealership.

Then, communicate with that recommended sales person to ask him/her to "cut to the chest", you are ready to buy, no games, give you the best possible price... and then compare the price he/she provided with the emails prices you got. and go from there

You may like to bring along a friend to the dealership to play the "bad guy", asking you to leave for the next dealership with the intent to better the price in front of you

I am sure you will receive ideas from others... you just have to use the technique you feel most comfortable with...

Good luck

Last edited by Ric01; 07-28-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
If you want some numbers to reference, just to get an idea, sift through:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-your-fit.html

It should give you an idea of how much you'd need to shell out and your own budget.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 AM
SOB
I don't think it really matters if people come with you or not. These sleazebag car salesmen are used to every scenario. It will have no affect on the pressure put on the salesman. I dislike this type of atmosphere as well, so my best advice (since I just did this a few weeks when I bought mine!) would be to just let the car salesman know that your ready to buy but its all going to come down to the best price. If he offers you a price you don't feel is that great, just politely say you'll consider it but you want to check out what other dealerships will offer. At that point he will most likely go even lower or to what he considers rock bottom. When you get the absolute best price he is willing to offer thats when you go check other dealerships. He may say the deal is only good for that instant, but thats BS, he will gladly give you the same deal when you come back, if you wish.

That's my advice, hope it helps.

Btw, I just purchased a 2011 Fit Sport Auto (no nav) for $17,500. That number excludes the TTL. But just for reference, I would at least get them that low, if not lower! Good luck!

Shoot, couple more things! Don't give into their BS about the Japanese Earthquake. They're all going to tell you the cars are VERY rare and hard to find, but don't let that influence you. This car is a few years old and they will come down on the price. There's a huge difference between a brand new model, and a new car that's an old model.

Last edited by SOB; 07-28-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Uma, Are you trading a car? If so, be prepared to determine what you are willing to accept on trade as well. Remember, if they take your car on trade for 2K and sell it on the lot for 4K, they made 2K off of YOU in addition to making the profit off the fit. Remind them of this. Know what similarly equipped cars physically on their lot are priced at and you can get a good reference on what they will sell your car at, you can then determine what they "should" pay you for your trade. remember, they have to recondition your used car before selling it and that takes some money.

The most important part is to stick your ground and be willing to walk out. They didn't take my offer at first but called me a few days later and accepted it.

Best of luck,
~SB

Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Two suggestions:
1. If at any time you feel even the least bit uncomfortable, WALK OUT WALK OUT WALK OUT. Salesmen (some of them) want to rattle you and play games so you don't think clearly, and they're well trained at it. They'll say things that sound good at first glance but don't hold up or aren't relevant. Remember, they need you more than you need them, and it's your money.

2. There are plenty of books written about how to buy a car. Well worth $10-$15.

3. I think that if you bring a friend experienced in getting good deals on cars, that wouldn't hurt, as long as you're willing to listen to him/her when you're there. Remember, the salesman will try to separate you... listen to your friend.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
There is a shortage of Japanese assembled cars. Current prices reflect this. However it's still possible to negotiate a better price. If you can wait a few months you'll get a better price, possibly thousands less.

Do what you're doing, read edmunds.com and research prices. Another great site is truecar.com to see what people are really paying. Make sure the salesman knows you know what prices actually are.

Also once you think you've agreed on a price, they'll try to add more things like warranties, service agreements, and dealer options. Most are worthless. Don't agree to any of them (you can always buy the warranty and other stuff later and get a better price on them).

They will also add an administrative fee of $500 or so. Factor this into your negotiations up front (make them do so) so you know what you're really paying. Everything is negotiable. I balked at paying the fee and walked out. They called me on the way home to knock an additional $500 off the car's price (and still added the fee in).

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by UmaJewels
It's very intimidating buying a car for the first time, especially by yourself! But I'm shopping for a Fit Sport A/T in the polished metal.

I've begun playing the dealerships in my area against each other via email, but have been too scared to go in face-to-face to haggle. Any suggestions? Should I bring a lot of numbers with me? I'm not the type of person that is comfortable doing this type of thing, I find sales people to be very pushy and rude, but I know it's necessary. Any help or tips would be much appreciated!
The first thing is to relax... and realize you are ultimately in control over the decisions you make and what you purchase and if they want your sale they will need to play nice.

Start visiting the dealerships... even the non-Honda dealerships. This will get you comfortable with the places. Make sure they understand from the outset that your are serious about a purchase but just there to shop until you make a decision.

If you have a friend or relative to bring with you... so much the better.

My dad used to love visiting dealerships and "chewing the fat" with the sales staff and mechanics. This was back in the day when the shop was not as restricted as they are now.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
All great advice. What is importnat also is the total price out the door. Stay focused on that. The dealer will put a sheet out when working on the deal that has lots of numbers. Theyll ask you what you can afford a month and get your attention on that number and throw the extras and add ons that others have mentioned. Stay focused on total price.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the advice, especially all the info in the other threads! I'm looking forward to purchasing this weekend or early next week

Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Check carsdirect.com because you can always get that price if the dealers insist on ripping you off (you can generally beat it by a good margin. Edmunds also has prices paid forums so you can see how badly people have been ripped off, and one or two good deals too.

I only paid 15,738 for my '10 fit sport A/T brand-new, so I would say I actually got mine amongst the cheapest of users on this site, so I wouldn't take advice from someone who paid MSRP or more.

Also, just be prepared for the finance manager's pitch after you think you are done fending off the dogs. They will try to add all kinds of wasteful things like paint and fabric protecton, an immobilizer security system (the fit already has an immobilizer from the factory), and extended warranties you don't need.

In general, you are better off dealing with internet departments and get the out the door in writing before you go. If they play games, just walk. Some dealers are just plain evil, so be on your guard all the way through. I would take an experienced car buyer/haggler with you if you know you are not fit to handle it.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 PM
SOB
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Check carsdirect.com because you can always get that price if the dealers insist on ripping you off (you can generally beat it by a good margin. Edmunds also has prices paid forums so you can see how badly people have been ripped off, and one or two good deals too.

I only paid 15,738 for my '10 fit sport A/T brand-new, so I would say I actually got mine amongst the cheapest of users on this site, so I wouldn't take advice from someone who paid MSRP or more.

Also, just be prepared for the finance manager's pitch after you think you are done fending off the dogs. They will try to add all kinds of wasteful things like paint and fabric protecton, an immobilizer security system (the fit already has an immobilizer from the factory), and extended warranties you don't need.

In general, you are better off dealing with internet departments and get the out the door in writing before you go. If they play games, just walk. Some dealers are just plain evil, so be on your guard all the way through. I would take an experienced car buyer/haggler with you if you know you are not fit to handle it.
That's a great deal, but I would bet most people aren't going to touch a 2011 or 2012 for that low. Maybe around January or February you could get a similar deal on an '11. Your lucky to have found a 2010. When I bought mine I was hoping they would have a couple '10s on the lot so I could get a better deal, sadly they only has '11s.

MSRP on mine was $17,710, with destination and handling it was $18,460. With wheel locks and a couple other dealer BS it was a little over $19k.

I felt $17,500 was a pretty good deal. Anyways, good luck! If you work the dealer down to $15k or $16k I would be very impressed!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Congratulations!!! You have taken a step in the right direction by asking for some direction. Half the battle is asking for help.

Are you looking for new or used?

For advice, I wold suggest putting off your purchase for as long as possible. Promise yourself you will not buy the car for a month. Go to dealerships and make connections with sales people, I know I do not like it either but sooner or later you have to deal with them. You may find one you feel comfortable with.

A sales person has to sell you a car, they also have to sell the sales manager on the deal. If you are paying a big markup it is an easy deal for manager to approve. IF there is not much money to be made you need a good salesman to sell it to the manager.

Read as much as you can, talk to as many people as you can, ask lots of questions. It is possible to save way over a thousand dollars $$$$$$.
When I first went to the dealer they wanted over $18,000 and my van, I ended up at $16,000 including everything and I kept my van.

If I were in the area I would go with you, I really hate dealerships and how they rip people off!
JIm 0311

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by specboy

The most important part is to stick your ground and be willing to walk out. They didn't take my offer at first but called me a few days later and accepted it.

Best of luck,
~SB
I like this "walk out" method. It happened to me. Though my salesmen was nice and I liked the numbers, I TRIED NOT TO MAKE A BUY DECISION ON THE SPOT. He called me a week later and lower the price because he needed to make his sales target.

What I learnt is that I tried not to make a buy decision on the spot unless it is the last car left and I cannot wait.. then i am giving up the possibility/opportunity of buying at a lower price.

Hence, if you feel more comfortable, bring someone along to initiate a walk out

Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I never make a rush decision - do a test drive - look the vehicle over -see what they are willing to do - Never include the car you plan to trade in. Leave it off the table until they give you the numbers and say OK then I have this vehicle to add to the deal. Never be afraid to walk away and tell them you are also talking to this other dealership. Make them wait on you and absolutely get it all on paper before you do anything.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Cat
..... and absolutely get it all on paper before you do anything.
I agree about the "written thing".

After you were given the best pricing and you initiate a walk-out, the salesperson may coxed you to pay a refundable deposit to hold the discounted price and even offered to put aside a car for you while the dealership gives you time to decide. This is a common practice in Canada. My suggestion is try not to pay any deposit if possible and walk.

If you do decide to pay a deposit for reasons such as, the negotiated price is to your liking and the color you wanted is the last one left on the lot, and you just want a week to think, then ensure that you have something in writing that "ALL DEPOSITS ARE REFUNDABLE - no conditions attached"

Old 07-30-2011, 03:13 PM
All I Did Was Refuse The First Two Offers They Gave Me Then I Took The Third Which Was Close To $120.00 Dollars Cheaper A Month Than The First Offer! Walked Out Of The Dealership With My 09 Storm Silver Mugen M/T 20K Miles For About 15K!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:23 PM
UPDATE!!!

I was originally quoted 17.9 and I know they paid 17.1 for it... I offered 17.5 and they said great after adding .5 in fees for a total of 18 + taxes.... When I got to the dealership he went back to his original quote of 17.9 with the added .5 fees for a total of 18.4 + tax.... So I walked away... He gave some story about how he has someone at the sister dealership that wants it too.... We'll see when he calls me back with a better offer!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UmaJewels
UPDATE!!!

I was originally quoted 17.9 and I know they paid 17.1 for it... I offered 17.5 and they said great after adding .5 in fees for a total of 18 + taxes.... When I got to the dealership he went back to his original quote of 17.9 with the added .5 fees for a total of 18.4 + tax.... So I walked away... He gave some story about how he has someone at the sister dealership that wants it too.... We'll see when he calls me back with a better offer!
If he calls back, drop the price .3 for your wasted time & money. Tell him that you obviously don't NEED this vehicle right now but if they are willing to quit jerking you around, you are INTERESTED in stepping into the fit. Remind them that for you, this isn't a GAME so you aren't going to be playing around.

~SB

Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow Stand Your Ground

You have a price that your comfortable with? It is the end of the model year and next month the dealers will be gearing up for the 2012 arrivals. So if the salesman does not hit your number don't worry about it, in the next 30-45 days the dealerships will be moving these 11's out and won't be so aggressive. Especially if they already know your back to Get a Deal.
I had quite the cat and mouse game w/ a few dealerships and all was done viva the Internet when it came to price and after searching for 70-90 days the the price I was willing to pay was achieved. I went in with a check and 45min. later was in the BOM Fit, no extended warranty BS! it was 1595.00 total out the door and T.Y. very much.
I absolutely love my Fit and it just had it's 3rd birthday w/o 1 problem, but maintenance is what I do. The Fit for what it is; is a great little car. I have almost 35k on mine and get around town 31-34 mpg. Here's a picture of 'er:

Good luck with your new Purchase and Stand Your Ground!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 07-30-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: First Timer! Help Please!