2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Since you have Navi, you have VSA and in the winter, disabling the VSA can be very handy when you are stuck.
Yup - that's what happens when you get nanny monitors tied up to safety features... it can result in getting stuck instead.

Sorry - couldn't resist - specboy knows how I feel about TPMS.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm actually having second thoughts about the TPMS. Apparently an extra set of sensors is going to set me back around $150, and the ATEQ quickset tool is going to cost another $150. So I'm looking at a cost of 300 bucks to have functioning TPMS with my winter wheels. If the downside is that I cannot disable VSA, then I'm thinking I can live with that (and the TPMS light being on). I've had the car for over 2 years and never had a reason to disable VSA. Also, that quickset tool looks quite tricky based on the manual and some of the thing people have posted. I'd hate to spend money on this stuff and then have to go crawling to the dealer if I couldn't get it to work.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Even if you get the quickset tool, you have to know the ESNs of all your TPMS sensors, which you can't get unless you buy a TPMS sensor reader too. It gets expensive rather quickly.

I personally hate TPMS with a passion - when a cheap $1 pressure gauge is all that's really needed.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
This isn't entirely true -- the quickset tool will read the sensor IDs currently programmed in the car (i.e. the stock wheels), and when you buy TPMS sensors for your winter wheels, the shop should have no problem giving you the IDs before they install them (Tirerack provided a nice sheet listing all the TPMS sensor IDs for me).

The quickset tool isn't that tricky to get working -- my only problem was that the TPMS sensors were shipped to me in sleep mode, but once I figured out how to wake them up, all was well (you drop the air pressure in the tire by 10 psi within some time interval).

Still, I have to admit that I have not gotten into a situation yet where disabling the VSA helped me get unstuck. I have heard, though I don't know how true it is, that purposefully disabling the TPMS may cause some issues with your insurance, if you get into an accident and they determine the cause to be tire related:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post783625
tire shop broke a TPMS tire pressure monitor sensor during tire change - Page 3 - PriusChat Forums
(I don't mean to scare you into getting TPMS, but I think you should consider all aspects before making a decision either way).

Old 08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
This isn't entirely true -- the quickset tool will read the sensor IDs currently programmed in the car (i.e. the stock wheels), and when you buy TPMS sensors for your winter wheels, the shop should have no problem giving you the IDs before they install them (Tirerack provided a nice sheet listing all the TPMS sensor IDs for me).
Thanks for the info - really glad to hear that! If one didn't know the stock ESNs, the quickset tool would not be enough, but with this info, it does work.

And yes - more negatives for TPMS regulation, now insurance companies are using it as an excuse to deny claims too.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Yup - that's what happens when you get nanny monitors tied up to safety features... it can result in getting stuck instead.

Sorry - couldn't resist - specboy knows how I feel about TPMS.
Touche'

I'm not a TPMS psycho but I do feel the benefits outweigh the down sides and for 99.99999999999% of the population they are a benefit.

Neteng, you my friend, are that .0000000000001%

Sidenote: I run Sans TPMS in the winter - but I don't have a NAVI... Well, I have a navi but it's a garmin, and also on my old phone, and on my new phone... but I digress

~SB

Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Neteng, you my friend, are that .0000000000001%
I can't win this one I'm afraid, the ship has already set sail, and even VSA is no longer optional on new cars today. Now the only hope is for someone to figure out a way to re-program/hack the car's computer.

We can hope the tools to handle this get cheaper for a DIY and maybe for a built-in way to re-learn in all future vehicles.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I can't win this one I'm afraid, the ship has already set sail, and even VSA is no longer optional on new cars today. Now the only hope is for someone to figure out a way to re-program/hack the car's computer.

We can hope the tools to handle this get cheaper for a DIY and maybe for a built-in way to re-learn in all future vehicles.
Agreed. I think in the next few years we'll see (especially in more northern states/countries) vehicles that have user programmable TPMS sensors. Put the wheels on, press a few buttons, then drive for a few miles and voila, your TPMS light goes out.

~SB

Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
I emailed the local Honda dealer and requested an estimate for a winter wheel and tire package. I'm a bit puzzled by the email I got back. Here is what they sent me:

Steel wheels from honda $155.66 x4
Lug nuts for the steel wheels $10.76 x 16
Tpms sensor $55.66 x4
Tires $135.08 x4
Labor for tires is $80.00
Labor for tpms sensor is $126.00

I think a good all season tire would be good .
I totaled all this up and it's $1763.76!

I think this guy is being a little facetious with his response here. Seems like he's trying to tell me that a winter wheel/tire package is not a good idea and I should just run with all-season tires.

However, my mind is made up that I will be putting snow tires on my Fit this winter. I'm just disappointed that the dealer is not even *trying* to be competitive here.

I'm going to check a few more places, but it's looking like I'll be ordering the recommended winter package from Tire Rack. Their package is $666, which includes wheels, tires and TPMS sensors. Their recommended snow tire is 185/70R14, which seems just fine given that several folks on this board have posted that they run 14-inch rims during the winter. Also I've pretty much decided that I do want the TPMS working so I'm planning to buy the sensors. I still haven't decided if I'm going to spring for the ATEQ quickset tool and try to reset the TPMS stuff myself.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Get yourself the quickset tool - it looks like 1 season of setting TPMS at the $tealer$hip is more than enough to pay for the cost of the tool.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor

Not a pro on this, but it seems Dorman has a replacement sensor for some Honda's, they are about 20 bux, a place called Rockauto sells them and Dorman has a few youtube videos on installation and programing
DORMAN Part # 974046

Dorman Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Installation Video
Dorman Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Installation Video - YouTube

TPMS Sensor Procedure for Automatic Style Re-Learn
TPMS Sensor Procedure for Automatic Style Re-Learn - YouTube

I haven't tried this but it sounds as if it IS supposed to work as it is sold for Honda vehicles, the video shows a PT Cruiser
Best regards

Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Get yourself the quickset tool - it looks like 1 season of setting TPMS at the $tealer$hip is more than enough to pay for the cost of the tool.
Does somebody know for sure that the Accutorq (ACCVT15) tools sold by TireRack will work on resetting the Honda TPMS sensors?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Well considering how light my 09 fit sport is I practically had to go up my hilly drive way open throttle.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Just an FYI from what I found in another thread on one of the fit forums... if you run without the TPMS you can pull the fuse for the abs/traction control if you get stuck and then put back once unstuck. I've not tried this in practice so can't confirm it really works.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
I posted the below on another Fit forum in relation to my search for snow tires (not brand, but size). As to brand, I strongly recommend if you have the money, by Nokian. I've used them before, I'm using them now. My neighbor here in VT who drives a few hundred miles each day for work up here refuses to use anything else. That said, as dough is a bit tight, I was willing to give the Continental Extreme Winter Contact's a try as my research showed they are excellent in deep snow and hold their own on ice. I was tempted by the Michelin X-Ice but punted after determining they are not that good in deep snow (but ok on packed.) Anyone who lives in northern VT, NH or ME can tell you snow up here requires Eskimo words. We have everything from the slop you get around NYC to the finest extreme cold snow which is like driving in sand. The Nokian RSI's I had on my WRX were champs.

Repost:

So.. the short of it is, I was unable to get a used 15" steel rim tested for fit prior to ordering some Conti Extreme Winter Contact 195/60-15 tires. I had looked at this package as being a little cheaper than a new set of Nokian Hakka R's and saving me money on the twice a season swap. I had planned on running without TPMS and then just pulling the fuse if I was ever in the unlikely situation of getting stuck and needed to disengage the traction control.

Instead, I ended up with a set of Nokian Nordman 4's factory studded in 195/55-16. I went with this size after seeing photos of another fit in the same size which reduced my clearance fears, at least a bit. The Nordman 4's are the same tread pattern as the Hakka 4's but with a slightly harder compound compared to the R's or 7's. While probably still good enough unstudded, I elected to go with the factory studs being not fully trusting of a fwd Fit in Vermont snow and ice. If I had the extra dough, I would have taken the unstudded R's which are the upgrade to the RSI and the best unstudded snows you can buy (I had the RSI's on my WRX and they were great and after 4 seasons and I was only on wear indicator 6.)

So here is the first impression driving back from the tire shop (30 miles)

yes, these are louder than the stock tires on the 2011 sport. But its kinda more like two sounds than just one much lourder one. I don't see a problem adjusting to it and maybe turning the volume up a notch. Besides, I have no problem sleeping on airplanes

When it comes time to dump the stock tires, I will go with this size again. The ride is significantly smoother. You still won't confuse it for a high end Mercedes sedan but it definitely felt a lot nicer. And thats on a studded winter compound. A regular season should be nicer still.

I will have to pay extra attention to cleaning the wheel wells of snow but that was true of the stock tires too.

I'll try to update this thread over the winter.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Notyourdadsoldsmobile
Not a pro on this, but it seems Dorman has a replacement sensor for some Honda's, they are about 20 bux, a place called Rockauto sells them and Dorman has a few youtube videos on installation and programing
DORMAN Part # 974046

Dorman Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Installation Video
Dorman Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Installation Video - YouTube

TPMS Sensor Procedure for Automatic Style Re-Learn
TPMS Sensor Procedure for Automatic Style Re-Learn - YouTube

I haven't tried this but it sounds as if it IS supposed to work as it is sold for Honda vehicles, the video shows a PT Cruiser
Best regards
The problem with the Fit is that it does not have an automatic relearn procedure. While I'm sure you could use a Dorman sensor instead of one from another manufacturer, you're still stuck with reprogramming the TPMS in the car.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Can't wait for winter to come so I can bust out the Blizzaks and stoplight race every 2wd pickup truck I see. Just try not to forget about the 109 speed rating!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davett
Does somebody know for sure that the Accutorq (ACCVT15) tools sold by TireRack will work on resetting the Honda TPMS sensors?
I don't think that would work... as already mentioned, the Fit doesn't have an auto-relearning TPMS system.

Maybe the VT55 ODBII module would work, since it plugs directly into the ODB port (and it mentions being used for Hondas among others). TPMS Tools - ATEQ VT55 TPMS hand tool

Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Just called the dealer, $125 to reset the TPMS, REALLY?
In the BMW I just hit the reset button...

Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davett
Just called the dealer, $125 to reset the TPMS, REALLY?
One really weak point with Honda... and some other Japanese makes, is how they handle TPMS reprogramming. Dumb dumb dumb... but so is the TREAD act that mandated TPMS.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving