2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New buyer of a 2012 Fit: Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ric01
I would suggest you strongly inform the service adviser that you decline any complimentary car wash if they do offer you one.
Thanks Ric01. I don't think the local dealership offers one due to the state of the economy. Even their "Gold Service" option doesn't offer it.

Originally Posted by Pang3t
in my opinion ...
Thanks for your recommendations Pang3t. I'm already leaning in the direction of all of them.

This forum has really been helpful!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
When you test drove the 2011 and 2012 Fit back to back did you notice a discernable difference in the ride? Is the ride a bit smoother in the 2012 do you think or no?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
I picked up 2011 Fit Sport MT about two weeks ago. I had the dealer install the cargo cover and the rear bumper applique. I am not too sure about the cargo cover. I might just get a blanket and throw that in there instead. I like the applique, it should help save the bumper when my dog jumps in the back, and when loading and unloading stuff.

Before I even bought it, I got the center console/armrest. It's a huge improvement over the stock flippy thing. I also installed the quick shifter. The stock manual shifter is like a boat tiller, but that's N/A for your auto.

Window tinting is a must, IMO.

This weekend, I installed a GenTek autodimming mirror with compass, outside temp gauge and Homelink. Probably didn't really need it, but it's nice.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by FIT4LIFE
When you test drove the 2011 and 2012 Fit back to back did you notice a discernable difference in the ride? Is the ride a bit smoother in the 2012 do you think or no?
I can't recall noticing any difference in the ride.

Originally Posted by BKKJack
Window tinting is a must, IMO.

This weekend, I installed a GenTek autodimming mirror with compass, outside temp gauge and Homelink. Probably didn't really need it, but it's nice.
At this point, I think the window tinting is the first mod we'll do to the Fit.

Homelink? I can install Homelink?

Wow! Awesome!
Episode #174 - 2nd Generation Honda Fit HomeLink Mod - YouTube

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
That install looks super easy, but if you notice the captions, that unit was modified to use internal battery. The Homelink I installed is on the GenTek mirror, and is wired to the car's power.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by BKKJack
That install looks super easy, but if you notice the captions, that unit was modified to use internal battery. The Homelink I installed is on the GenTek mirror, and is wired to the car's power.
Ah. Missed that. Would prefer something that didn't rely on a battery.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Wowzers folks! I just had quite a roller-coaster day!

So I picked-up the 2012 Fit from Honda of Stevens Creek at about mid-day. The car was perfect and I just had to write-out the check. The finance manager asked me if I wanted him to check my eligibility for the 0.9% financing. I was skeptical but told him to go ahead. He comes back and says I am eligible so we write out the contract and I leave really happy!

After driving 40 miles home, I get a call from the dealership saying that they made a mistake and that my 2012 was ineligible, and that I'd have to drive back down to get the contract re-written to either pay cash (original game plan) or accept 2.34% which is the best they could wrangle outside of Honda Financing. I agree to the former.

I give the general manager a call to discuss the situation and ask if there's anything he can do. He acknowledges that it was their mistake and agrees to give me the 0.9% financing!!

My thanks to the folks at Honda of Stevens Creek for making it right! Yes, I'll do business with them again!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
They made it right, but that was a total bait and switch on the financing. They tried to scam you good thing you didn't fall for it. I would still write them up in the review for that.

Enjoy the car and congrats! PMM is an awesome color.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
They made it right, but that was a total bait and switch on the financing. They tried to scam you good thing you didn't fall for it.
I think it was an honest mistake. The first finance manager (possibly the finance director) that I dealt with said on Saturday that I was ineligible because the 0.9% is only for the 2011s. The second finance manager who finalized my paperwork today wasn't sure, checked with someone else (the director was out), and said I was. I think he didn't notice that my purchase was for a 2012.

It's possible that they might have worried that it would look like a bait-and-switch.

In any case, I'm whole. I'm happy. I don't think I need to ding them on their Customer Satisfaction Index.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GVlog
It's possible that they might have worried that it would look like a bait-and-switch.
Ah you're right, the 0.9% financing offer is only on 2011s. You did luck out there, so all's good!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Well, I'm now glad to be a bona fide member of the fitfreak community!

The car still needs to be broken-in but I haven't had so much fun driving under 65mph. It was fresh off the truck and had less than 4 miles on it.

Now to accessorizing!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
even if you ding finance that score is still totally reflected on the sales person, and you can actually cost him money. There is no money to be made on a fit for the saleman, so you can cost him more money then he made. Give all 5's on the survey

Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I have no problem giving the finance folks 5s as well. I was only briefly inconvenienced and it turned into a win situation for me. I'd prefer to leave it as a win-win for all parties.

The 0.9% financing will really help with our cashflows when our daughter goes to college. For that, I'd have put up with more than just a couple of hours of inconvenience.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
[*]Buying all-weather floor mats - Skip the Honda OEM and buy the ones from WeatherTech. Buy it online.
Does anyone know if the 2011 WeatherTech mats will fit the 20122 Fit? I really would like to get these but the site (AFAICT) doesn't have them in the 2012 yet.

Stephen
2012 Crystal Black Fit Base Model

Old 12-06-2011, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gedeyenite
Does anyone know if the 2011 WeatherTech mats will fit the 20122 Fit? I really would like to get these but the site (AFAICT) doesn't have them in the 2012 yet.Stephen
2012 Crystal Black Fit Base Model
I think you'll have to email Weathertech to find out. I was wondering this too.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I sent them a note via their online form. I will post their answer here.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
The mats should fit fine. The floor pan hasn't changed shape at all since 2009.

I bought the Honda all season mats on eBay for $85. It's for an '09, but it fit my 2012 base model just fine.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT4LIFE
Please share with us how you like your new Fit when you get it. I'm wondering if Honda smoothed out the ride a bit. I know it will be quieter inside than the 2011 b/c they added more sound deadening materials. I recently test drove a 2011 Fit Sport A/T and the ride was choppy on poor road surfaces.

just got my 2012 Fit Sport 5 speed. Traded in my 2009 Fit Sport 5-speed. At 535 miles in, here are my thoughts:

Much better suspension. Not so darty on the freeway groves, but hasn't lost it's edge. More compliant, but still has aggressive turn in that I loved in the 09. Suspension Rating? '09=8, 12=10. Expecting the '12 to go to 11 when I replace the marginal stock tires with kumhos. Still, it's a small car with stiff suspension and short wheelbase. When we go on a road-trip, we take our '12 Accord

much better interior materials. Still crappy rubber bits, but the cloth is much better. Also, like the black dash better that the mixed silver / black in the '09. Interior rating? '09=7 (I had the carpet replaced twice under warranty, shift knob trashed at 10k miles, pedal pads lasted about 15 minutes), '12=jury still out but the quality seems better.

Feels faster. Might just be the new car syndrome, but the feeling is matched by slightly worse gas mileage. Again, might just be me taking advantage of the better suspension. Okay-officer-I'll-come-quietly rating? '09=10, '12= 11...

my .02...

Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 PM
wish interstate battery made one to fit the Honda fit.
the OEM battery sucks, I have replaced 4 batteries on 09 Honda fit sports.

I like the OEM mats, they do the trick just fine, the weathertechs are great, but the price is ridiculous.
Cargo tray is also good.
Tint is ok ,if you live in a very sunny area.
All mods you do, are like flushing your money down the toilet, you will not get anything for the extra's when you do sell your car. So choose carefully.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by canuck901
All mods you do, are like flushing your money down the toilet, you will not get anything for the extra's when you do sell your car. So choose carefully.
Buying a car is like flushing money down the toilet. Cars depreciate stupefyingly fast. Admittedly the Fit is one of the best in this regard, but still.

Quick Reply: New buyer of a 2012 Fit: Need some advice