2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New buyer of a 2012 Fit: Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 AM
New buyer of a 2012 Fit: Need some advice

Hello folks,

We'll be taking delivery of a 2012 Fit Sport A/T between Aug 28-30. All the paperwork was taken care of and we'll just need to give them the check when the vehicle arrives on the lot. We live in California.

I've read the forums in search of advice regarding options and I think these are the general recommendations. Can anyone add their opinions if I've got them right?

1. Buying all-weather floor mats - Skip the Honda OEM and buy the ones from WeatherTech. Buy it online.
  2. Buying the OEM armrest center console - Mixed opinions. Try before you buy. Buy it online for less. Seems easy to install based on photo instructions I saw on another topic.
  3. Honda OEM car alarm - Not recommended. Probably not best value. There are better ones out there. Get it professionally installed.
  4. LoJack - Pass on this. Not recommended.
  5. Honda Care (Extended Warranty) - Might be worth it but don't buy from the dealership. Purchase online if you can; pricing is more competitive. Consider saccuccihondacare.com.
  6. Window Tinting - SunTek Carbon and get it professionally installed.

Any other advice for a new buyer and suggestions for options that are of good value would be greatly appeciated. Many thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 AM
I thought a security system is standard in a Fit Sport, unless they are selling the KARR alarm.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by TrungLam
I thought a security system is standard in a Fit Sport, unless they are selling the KARR alarm.
Yes. I think that's the option they were offering me. The finance manager said something to the effect that I'd void the electronics warranty if I went for an aftermarket solution.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
You can't buy a Honda warranty on line any more. But you can buy one on the phone. College Hills Honda still sells them at a discount.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
You can't buy a Honda warranty on line any more. But you can buy one on the phone. College Hills Honda still sells them at a discount.
Thanks for that information and recommendation! I'll check them out. Do you know if they can they sell to California residents?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Please share with us how you like your new Fit when you get it. I'm wondering if Honda smoothed out the ride a bit. I know it will be quieter inside than the 2011 b/c they added more sound deadening materials. I recently test drove a 2011 Fit Sport A/T and the ride was choppy on poor road surfaces.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 AM
SOB
My thoughts...

- I'll probably pick up some of the front Weathertech floor mats at some point. It looks like they do a pretty good job of covering that whole area. The OEM carpeted ones aren't bad, but I'm a clean freak (with my car anyways) and I hate it when dirt, leaves, or anything else is just floating around the carpet. Take a look at the rear Weathertech floor mats, they actually cover less floor room. You may want to pass on these... I might.

- The stock armrest is not very comfortable. Its a bit hard, and kind of short (I know... thats what she said). It might be worth picking up the center console.

- Forget getting an aftermarket alarm. If someone really wants to steal the car they're going to. Plus, that's why you have insurance. The stock alarm should be fine. Also, no offense to anyone, but why would anyone want to steal a Fit? Its not exactly a luxury car, or valuable in anyway.

- Lo-jack, same thing... Let em steal it and have insurance cover it.

- Extended warranty- that's up to you. My basic warranty should be fine.

- Window tinting is probably one of the best things you could do. For one, its got a S-ton of windows that let in heat. And second, there is nothing really covering your possessions.

- Lastly, I'll add one... which is the Clazzio seat covers. I purchased some about a month ago for my 2011 Fit and they should preserve the condition of the seats for years to come as well as offering a nice leather appearance. I'm still waiting on mine to show up, but from my research most people seem to like them.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Delivery of a 2012? In august?

Are you sure it's a 2012? My understanding is that the 2012s wouldn't be out until November.

~SB

Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by FIT4LIFE
Please share with us how you like your new Fit when you get it. I'm wondering if Honda smoothed out the ride a bit. I know it will be quieter inside than the 2011 b/c they added more sound deadening materials.
Yes. That's one of the reasons I held out for the 2012. The comparison highway test drives between the 2011 and the 2012 Sports at the dealer did reveal a perceptible muffling of the road noise but it's not like driving an Acura or any truly sound-insulated car.

I'll share more as I get to know it more.

Originally Posted by SOB
... but I'm a clean freak (with my car anyways) ...
You and me both. I might pass on the rear-seat WeatherTechs. It'll be rare that this Fit will see more than two occupants.

Originally Posted by SOB
The stock armrest is not very comfortable. Its a bit hard, and kind of short (I know... thats what she said).
And narrow.

Originally Posted by SOB
Forget getting an aftermarket alarm.

Lo-jack, same thing... Let em steal it and have insurance cover it.
That was my first inclination given that the Fit already has a basic security system. The finance manager at the dealership was giving me a hard-sell using "anxiety and guilt" tactics. She was rather unhappy that I calmly didn't take the bait.

Odds are, by the time the vehicle would be located by Lo-Jack, it'd be in pieces.

I have CSAA coverage.

Originally Posted by SOB
Extended warranty- that's up to you.
Yeah. I'll be thinking that one over.

Originally Posted by SOB
Window tinting is probably one of the best things you could do. For one, its got a S-ton of windows that let in heat. And second, there is nothing really covering your possessions.
Yes. This is near the top of my priority list. I'd just like a tint level to reduce the inside heat and provide some privacy from casual prying-eyes.

Originally Posted by SOB
Lastly, I'll add one... which is the Clazzio seat covers.
Ah! Good suggestion! I'll look those up.

Originally Posted by specboy
Are you sure it's a 2012? My understanding is that the 2012s wouldn't be out until November.
Yes, it's a 2012. Honda Customer Service alerted me to its availability via Twitter. Another person on this forum posted photos of one. I can't find that topic right now though.

I knew how to identify them better than the sales folks did. The headlights are the immediate giveaway. I suspect that's why I was able to get a decent bargaining price.

I was walking through the back lot with a sales manager searching for the 2012s and spotted one that was still being prepared. Someone had thrown a hang-tag with a discounted 2011 price on the dashboard. Whoever did it might not have known it was a 2012 as those are being offered at MSRP in all the other dealerships I went to and I could barely get them to budge. The sales manager was taken aback by this snafu but he agreed to offer it to me at that price. I used it as a bargaining point at another dealership that had the color that we wanted.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Wear garlic when entering the Finance guy's lair. That vampire will try to sell you the wheels for your car.

Seriously, that's where most of the profit is made on new car sales. You don't need service contracts (expensive and limits you to their dealer for service). You don't need nitrogen tire fills (worthless). You don't need an extended warranty at all (but if it gives you peace of mind, like you said it's cheaper to shop around for one; it doesn't have to be a Honda warranty either).

And if you do finance with Honda, the finance rate is negotiable. Make sure you know what rate you can get through your own bank. Some insurance companies offer car loans too.

Like someone said once, "Just say 'no'!"

Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Not sure on the 2012 Fit, but the grill is inadequate to protect the AC condenser on earlier Fit's. It can possibly be damged by rocks, it is an expensive repair and NOT covered by warranty!

Search the forum for info. There are aftermarket grills or duct tape and bailing wire DIY fix's.

ONe of many!!!!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...replacing.html

JIm 0311

Old 08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks for that alert jjrbus. I'll investigate if the grill needs replacement. The 2012 has a new grill so I'm not sure if that addresses the problem.

Below is an excerpt from Honda's press release that summarizes the 2012 changes.

Fit Sport exterior updates for 2012 include new designs for the front grille and bumper, black headlight bezels and a dark "machined surface" finish for the alloy wheels (replaces a painted finish appearance). The entry-model Fit retains its exclusive front fascia design and for 2012 receives body-color exterior mirrors (previously black) and updated wheel covers.

Inside, the Fit Sport interior is enhanced with dark metallic dashboard components for a unified color theme (replacing the previous gray and black theme). Fit Sport receives additional chrome accents around instrument displays. All models receive newly designed console-mounted center beverage holders along with console ambient lighting, which provide easier access and greater stability. All models also receive added sound insulation measures in the floor, front fenders and A-pillars, plus thicker front corner-window glass, to help create a quieter, more-refined cabin environment. Two new colors are available: Blue Raspberry Metallic and Orangeburst Metallic, which replace similar colors from the prior model year.

The top-of-the-line Fit Sport includes a long list of exclusive, standard features compared to the entry-model Fit. For 2012, it gains standard steering wheel-mounted audio controls for fingertip operation (previously exclusive to navigation-equipped models) and upgraded seat fabric. When equipped with the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition5, the Fit Sport now includes Bluetooth®1 HandsFreeLink® to help make hands-free telephone calls more convenient. The enhanced system also includes a Bluetooth Audio capability with compatible phones and devices.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats! Where did you purchase the car, and what color?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Some advice, and a question....

I think you have gotten good advice and made good decisions. I agree about passing on the OEM all-season matts, I have them and they are "okay" but if I had to do it over again, I would definently go with the weathertech. I'm waiting what I'm sure will be less than a year, until the OEM's get so worn, I can justify to myself the switch.

Two things I would say, is I like the armrest console. I guess you could argue that it's not particularly "soft" but I think it's fine and it slides forward and creates another "hidden" storage option. I like mine.

I would also recommend the hatch cargo cover. It's easily removable in those occasions that you do not want it, and the rest of the time it is a great benefit I think to security and probably to a degree some rear area road noise reduction.

It's spendy...you can buy it online from different vendors. Also search some threads, some owners have made their own with IMO fantastic results. I'm just not that creative.

Finally my question. Does the OP or anyone know what Oil Honda is recommending in the 2012's? I heard rumors that they were going to go to a full synthetic 0 weight recommendation? Just wondering if Honda is officially doing this yet with the Fit.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Does the OP or anyone know what Oil Honda is recommending in the 2012's? I heard rumors that they were going to go to a full synthetic 0 weight recommendation? Just wondering if Honda is officially doing this yet with the Fit.
The 2011s require 0w-20, so I'd be surprised if the 2012s moved back to 5w-20.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
The 2011s require 0w-20, so I'd be surprised if the 2012s moved back to 5w-20.
Thanks, I'm behind the times...I did not know Honda had already officially changed the requirement on the 2011's.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, the 2011's use 0w20, and so does the 2012. It's just the weight/viscosity, it's to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. It's supposed to increase fuel economy a little bit. My cousin's GD switched to 0w20 and he's liking it. But really, it's just for CAFE standards.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by DoYouFit?
Congrats! Where did you purchase the car, and what color?
Stevens Creek Honda. They had the color and trim level we wanted enroute and due-in by early this week. They were also the only ones willing to beat the best price that I "accidentally" got at Concord Honda for our third-choice color. My thanks to their sales rep who gave me the deal over the phone.

The color is grey (aka Polished Metal Metallic).

Originally Posted by fitchet
Some advice, and a question....

Finally my question. Does the OP or anyone know what Oil Honda is recommending in the 2012's?
Thanks for all the advice! Yes, we are looking at those options and we will be buying online. If we go with the window-tinting, we may not need the cargo cover that much.

I did talk to the service managers at the dealerships and the 2012 uses 0-20. I don't know about prior models. This adds $15 to each regular maintenance price at the dealerships.

Last edited by GVlog; 08-28-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 AM
GVlog, if you ever bring in your new FIT to the dealership for 1st maintenance in about 6 to 8 months time depending on your maintenance minder, I would suggest you strongly inform the service adviser that you decline any complimentary car wash if they do offer you one.

For Heaven's sake, DO NOT accept complimentary car wash.. it is just like playing Russian roulette with your shiny FIT paint work.

I accepted a complimentary car wash for my previous Accord 6 months after purchase . guess what, dealership washers created swirl marks all over my 6 month old car visible in bright sun light.... game over.... they hire minimum wage car washers who would clean your car with dirt laden sponge

I have to live with the swirl marks for the next 10 years I kept the Accord until I upgraded to my new FIT. After being burnt, I gave specific instructions when bringing in my new FIT for service - NO CAR WASH, otherwise I am going to ask the dealership to pay for my new paint job to get rid of the swirl marks

Last edited by Ric01; 08-29-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 AM
in my opinion the armrest didnt rly like it well the OEM one.
also get weathertech floor mats i regret getting the oem ones.
Honda care i would NOT really get it.
alarm for me my 2011 is just fine for now but an aftermarket upgrade wouldnt hurt either.
Window tint is all up to you. my 2cents

Quick Reply: New buyer of a 2012 Fit: Need some advice